Catfishing Around Lincoln

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Petsche, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    First off, I just found this website. It is awesome! I have been looking for something like this for a while.
    I am looking for a good area to take my son catfishing. I live in the airpark so I am close to Conestoga, Pawnee, Branched Oak, Wildwood, etc. The sampling results from 2008 look like Wildwood could produce some good fish numbers. Any thoughts?
    We usually go out early morning (~5am) just because it is easier for my kid (he is an early riser). What time do you guys find the best bite happening?
    Thanks.

2. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    Welcome to the BOC lots of info and helpful folks on here to answer any questions you may have.

if you have a boat there are places at conestoga that could produce some channels just not any huge ones.. Twin Lakes is a GOOD spot and not too far from you.. nice cats in there. Yankee hill is another good place to try out.. it was just renovated but the numbers in there are high.. not knowing how far you want to go.. bluestem cottontail stagecoach wagontrain are all good too and hold bigger fish.. tho Matt (Huskercat) has had good success at Wildwood. Holmes lake is also producing some nice cats right now.

i usually do the night thing.. and if it turns into morning all the better.. but my experience has shown me the hits usually run around.. 1030pm 12-1230, 2, and 330am... with things slowing by 4... i hear they hit good around 530 and dawn but i havent been with anyone that had the stamina to stay out that long LOL.. hope this helps..

3. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the reply. I dont have a boat (right now). The plan is to get one next year.
    I forgot about twin. I fished there before I had kids. Is fishing from the dam the best way to go out there?

4. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Welcome to the BOC man! Like Steve said above, I have had good luck from the bank at Wildwood so far this year. Try near submerged trees and along the edge of the moss line. Biggest has been 6, but I haven't got one smaller than 3 outta there and my buddy got a 13lbr. there a couple weeks ago. Some huge Bullheads too. If they're not hittin, there's lots of nice bluegills and bass in there too. Catch and release only on Channel Cats and Bass though...Twin is also good. I have had my best luck on the north end of the dam and on the rock jetty on the northeast side of the dam. Be careful though, there is lots of submerged trees along there, but they hold some nice channels if ya don't mind losing a few rigs in the process :smile2: My biggest out of there is 9lbs. a couple of years ago...Hope this helps and again - welcome! There is lots of great people and advice on this site. You'll be glad you joined!

5. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    id have to say yea to the dam at twin.. never fished anyplace else there for some reason.. but like Matt said... that jetti northeast of the dam has produced..

6. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    It is funny that you bring up the bullheads in Wildwood. I went there for the first time a couple weeks ago and I caught a big one.

7. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Yeah...I got 4 or so the other day when I was there. I'm pretty sure one would have been a master angler! May have to keep a few one of these days. They are pretty good eating! By the way, I mistakenly said "northeast" side of the dam at Twin. It would be the northwest instead. It's a little bit of a hike, but it's always been good to me...Let us know if ya catch em!

8. uhrich33

uhrich33 New Member

State:
    neb
    hey petsche,ben fishing at conestoga for three weeks there bitn light cought a few but nothing to brag about,all blues

9. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    My son and I go to Conestoga all the time, but we usually fish at high noon. We usually just catch the carp that are in there. There are lots! Last year we caught a 27" carp.
    I have heard people talking about the blue cats in there but I have never caught one.
    I think I am going to try Twin this weekend but I'm sure we will go to Conestoga a few more times this year.

10. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    That carp is some killer bait.. strips or gut.. even the tail ive had luck on.. but never the heads :confused2:

11. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Speaking of bait. What do you guys use? I have been using liver for the past 10 years but I hear people brag up cut bait (including cut carp).
    I am sure people have their favorites. I should probably get out of the "liver rut".

12. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Blugill, cut and live, the heads especially. Leeches work good too.

13. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    cut bait liver and blood blood at the top of my list when in the boat drift fishing !

14. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Crap. It is northeast. I got my directions screwed around. It happens :smile2:

15. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I'll be down at Elbrancho of the Oaks near the marina somewhere.

16. sattv

sattv New Member

State:
    Nebraska
  17. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I was fishin the northeast side of BO, just where the shallows curve around to the marina jetty. According to the lake map, it looks like a killer night spot. Results: Only one three pound fish. I used cut bluegills, and live ones. Only one bite. Fished till 2 am. Warm, moonless, dead still night. I almost fell asleep. With my rods and my son, and my grandson we had five rods out. I can usually catch cats in nearly anywhere else I fish, year after year, in Lincoln area, but I'll be darned if the BO doesn't skunk me regularly. Is there some magic secret to fishing Branched Oak?

18. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    MAN IF THERE IS I WISH I NEW IT TO !!

19. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Do you think the catfish are still on the spawn?

20. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    from what ive seen and heard im bettin on yup sure nuff are.. but im usually wrong.. but then again when i think im wrong im right so who knows... i say ya they are tho.. so ya got my 2 cents worth.. who gets the change?