Catfishing around Fredericksburg, VA..need help

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by bsites9, Jun 4, 2009.

1. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    Hey everybody. I'm new to the site. Just signed up today, so hopefully I'm posting this in the right spot. I'm going catfishin next weekend somewhere around Fredericksburg, Va. We're not nesicarily going for whoppers, we're going for keeper size. Not exactly sure where we're going yet. Can anyone give me any ideas on a few things like

1- fishing spots (we'll probably be taking a small boat, but wouldn't be opposed to fishing from the bank either

2- camp sites cause we're probably taking a pull behind camper

3- boat landings that would be close to the above two things.

and any other info would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

and oh yeah, this site looks really cool, wish i woulda found it much sooner

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to the BOC, Bryan! :0a25:

Fredericksburg is about the best fishing spot any man can find. It's going to be hard to narrow down your options!

I prefer lake fishing at the moment, with my favorite spot being Lake Curtis, but that's only because it is so convenient for me as I pass through from the Warrenton area to Patuxent River, MD. I like the variety of fishing options in this lake, with huge bass being reported there.

Abel Reservoir looks like an awesome place to fish, but I have never had a chance to launch down there yet.

There are some good spots along the Rapp to fish as well. If I were you, I would launch from public access off Route 3 near the water treatment plant. There are some good fishing holes downriver from there, from what I have read.

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Bryan,
    Jeremiad hit it right...fish the Rapp. on the outside bends of the river...that's where you will find the deeper holes. If you're after smaller fish, use smaller baits (nightcrawlers, livers, small cut bait, etc). Be forwarned, there are some big cats living in those waters that may like your offering just a much as a little guy...so don't just lay your rod down without putting it into a holder...it may go overboard before you can react. :crazy:

Good luck and let us know how you make out. We like pictures too! :wink:

4. t-roy

t-roy Member

State:
    va
    fish the rappahanock river. there are two boat ramps, one is the city docks in town off of princess anne street and the other is little falls ramp off of rt 3. nightcrawler hung about 18 in below a bobber fishing the river edges you can slay eater channel cats and an occastional blue cat. go to vdgif web site for more info on the rapp. and directions to the ramps. local bait shop is kens on hill st in fredericksburg.

t-roy

5. maupin

maupin New Member

State:
    virginia
    Leedstown campground is a great place to camp and fish. About 25 miles from Fredericksburg on the rapp.

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to the BOC, Jim and Troy! And thanks for the great information that will help us all, including Bryan, greatly.

7. devildogcollier

devildogcollier New Member

State:
    Virginia by way of Alabam
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you....just moved out to Fredericksburg

8. devildogcollier

State:
    Virginia by way of Alabam
    i always did most of my fishing on Base

9. devildogcollier