Catfishing and Storms

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Philiagorillia, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Does anyone else seem to do thier best catfishing just before and after big thunderstorms? I've always wondered what causes this, is it the change in the weather system that makes them feed or aggressive?

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Its the pressure...The pressure drops when the storms are coming..You have to nail the pressure just right..The typical pressure around where I'm at is 29-30..When it starts to drop with an oncoming storm the fish become active especially in shallow waters..When the pressure gets too low though, usually during the storm, the fish turn off and head to deeper water..When the storm moves on the pressure begins to rise again and you'll have a small window of opportunity when the pressure gets just right again as it rises back to normal..

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Les on this. It is the barometric pressure that is guiding the fish bite, at the time of storms.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    you cant forget the abundance of food in the water after a heavy rain as well especially washing down from the feeder creeks.Fishing the mouths of those feeder creeks can be very very productive.

5. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    If it's getting ready to rain, I have my bait in the water. I think everyone above is correct: there are a lot of reasons that it's good right before a rain. The sudden abundance of food washed into the water, barometric pressure, etc.

One afternoon last summer, I was fishing channel cats from my truck (that's fishin' in style) during a gentle rain. I had gotten a couple taps, but nothing had taken it so far. I saw some black clouds rolling in, and was thinking about calling it a day. Suddenly, and at nearly the same moment, the sky let loose with a torrential downpour and my bait clicker started screaming. I jumped out of my truck and was soaked in seconds, and fought in a nice channel cat in a downpour.

It wasn't a huge kitty, but dang was that fun!

[​IMG]

6. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hahah thats funny, my brother sorta did something like that a few years back, we were at the lake and maybe getting a good thump and a small cat here and there, then a storm blew in fast, so everyone ran to camp, but he stayed there so i sat in the truck and watching him catch a dozen nice channels while it was storming, once it stopped, withing 20 mins the bite was gone and we didnt catch anything else that day.....

Ps thats a really nice channel ya got there.

7. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have a feeling the fish know when we're all running back to camp. "Hurry up and eat! They'll only be gone until the rain stops!" Haha.