Catfishing and Mosquitoes - Is it just me?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rebcatman, Mar 24, 2006.

1. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Does it seem when fishing at night the skeeters and other biting bugs are bad right before sunset up to about 11 or 12 AM, and then they seem to go away.

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    It's because they got full bellies from biting me during this this time.. and they are to fat to fly.....

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah i noticed that too. right before to 1 1/2 hour after sunset they go nuts then they seem to dissapear. i also notice the same patern around daybreak. i dont like using the sprays so i get a tiny fire going and get lots of smoke on me. mosquitos hate smoke and wont bother me. it works for me anyways, but down south i bet some industrial strenght OFF wouldnt even phase 'em.

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    T-bone... that is just too funny. For whatever reason that seems to be the case.. Unfortunately, I have had plenty of nights where both the fish and the bugs are not biting. That makes for a very LONG night.

Dink... when I lived in Florida it was a badge of honor to get bit up by the skeeters, and fire ants and...

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Dink, I've seen'em as big as a B-52 :eek: !!!!! I don't like sprays either. My wife gave me the lil plastic pin on things that smell like lemmons (walmart) and I must say this lil round pin on thing works great and the package says they will last 12 hours.

6. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Arkansas skeeters feed on a can of off. They aren't afraid of anything.

7. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Sprays dont seem to work to well for me either. If I dont hit the exact spot where a skeeter can get me, it will go for it. I think it would end up being more of a bug repellant bath if I decided to do that.

But T-Bone, if it really does work, can you remember the name of those little pin things? I would kill for them during the summer when I am fishing the little creek by my house. Jeez, there are mosquitoes galore down there. Dont even get me started.

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Travis, I found one I had left from last year. It's called : Mosquito Repelling Bug Badge, ya get them in the lawn and garden section of walmart.
    I've got one of those high dollar mosquito magnets out in the back yard and this lil badge works better than that thing does !

Here's what's in the badge: Indonesian lemmongrass oil, phillipine geraniol oil and citronella oils and polyethylene (for what ever reason)..

I hope they work for you as they do for me. Best thing is they are cheep....

9. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i notice all of the skeeters migrate to me because im so fat they could feed a whole colony just off my legs....lol

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dude i feel ya! a few years back i weighed around 375 (went on a crack-diet:D) and it seemed all the mosquitos, gnats, biting flies, etc would all come to me! those biting flies would just tear my bare legs up! think its because the skin is stretched more and thinner and they smell the blood more stronger.

11. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    im at 350 and they tear me up every night i go out,im hoping to lose some weight this year...dont have the money for crack so i guess i will stay fat til i get some extra money.....:grin-big:

12. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    We call em flyin dogs round here!:frk-big: An old man told me once to take a sheet of Bounce fabric softener an pin it to yer hat or shirt,swears it keeps em away,never tried it but will this year

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Those bounce sheets work. I used them last year, I put one on my hat. They last a long time also. The skeeters we got down here are big ones, they can stand flat footed and rape a turkey!

14. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    thats so funny you would say that about Bounce sheets,i was just sent an email about uses for Bounce Sheets for skeeters and that was one of them,it said tie it to your belt loop.i will definately do that this year

15. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    one night me and one of my friends was on the river and i decided to turn my bright white lantern on to check something. well like 10 seconds later we were both attacked by a giant swarm of mosquitoes. it was actually kind of scary. i just remember running around in cirles on the bank. they were everywhere all over my face in my ears and eyes... just terrible. we catfisherman are a special breed of fisherman. the rough and tough for sure

16. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i just but a sign on my hat that says i bite back, works for me :rolleyes: . on a real note i will try those bounce sheets, thanks for the info.

17. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I was fishing an oxbow once and a man went by that had a tire burning in the center of the jon boat throwing out a large plume of black smoke to fight the mosquitoes. They would almost carry you out of the boat on that lake.

18. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I've started using a therma-cell last year it works better than anything I've tried and we get our share of skeeters down here.

19. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Seems that you have to put up with all sorts of bugs and pest to catch the big ones.

20. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Light colored clothes help some..Smokey fire does good... but the best is to find a buddy they like better and fish with him! LOL!
    My favorite is the good Ol Coleman lantern.. Seeing the hundreds of tiny, quick fried, carcasses in the dawns early light does my heart good knowing I have gotten some revenge!:)