Catfishing and caught Bass.

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Flamekeeper, May 1, 2008.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    LOL.. Yeah bros If I wasn't the one doing the fishing I would have had a hard time believing it.:smile2:

A friend ask if I wanted to go catch some channels at a farm pond that was in the middle of a subdivision being built,Sure I said so we headed out at 10,am. Got to the place and the pond looked pretty good after a few cast with my personal depth finder the (slip float rig ) I found that the deepest section at the dam was about 9 1/2'-10'ft.
    Caught me some 4-6" bluegills and cut up a couple of the bigger ones for bait, Set 2 poles out with 4" gills @8 & 9' and 1 with cut bait @ 5' casted out and let set..took another small casting rod and put a lizard on and started casting for bass and I looked up and one of the bluegills had just went down, so I ran down the bank and set the hook and told my buddy I think hes got a little size to him and about that time He busted out of the water leaping way up into the air shaking that head trying to get that #9 out of his neck..LOL..Nothing doing..drug him in and threw the 3#bass into the basket.5 minutes later another one on a 4" bluegill. Man I was trying to catch a catfish. Threw it back out and before I got it set down the one with the cut bait went down,I knew I had a cat this time ,ran down the bank grabbed it up and set the hook just to see another bass come out of the water shaking its head trying to free itself from the #9,A hour after that I had caught 4 -13-14 3/4"bass on cut bait and 3 over 15" on live gills AND 0 catfish ????I was thinking...Is there any catfish in this pond?..Then the owner came out of the house and she asked if we have caught any catfish,No just a few bass we replied.She asked if we had any cheerios? and said they like that and turned around and went into the garage and came down the hill with a bag of cheerios and some puppy chow..started pitching the cheerios out and the bluegills started popping the surface,20 minutes went by and nothing but bluegills ,so I asked what time of the day she usually done that and she replied in the evening,,And i told her thats when the cats will come since they are accustomed to the time,then all of a sudden there was 3-5# channels swimming everywhere on the surface like a pack of sharks on a feeding frenzy..Bros them cats would not hit anything we had ..But my friend hooked into one on a top water repala,but lost it..:smile2:
    next time I go there I will have me some dough balls made of dog food and cheerios, plus some to get them bluegills popping the surface to get them catfish started,and my camcorder..Heres some pics of the bass.

Man I had a blast catfishing today:wink::cool2:

Attached Files:

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    nice. alot of floks on here say bass dont taste good. i think most just want to save face lol. i love the white flakey taste. in farm ponds here aint much better on a plate. think ill try my luck tomorrow.:wink:

3. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    nice fish rick clean bass

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Very intersesting story Flamekeeper...Still seems like you had a good time even though you caught that other fish....Lol...

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Those are some Bass, Kenny. they make some good dinner.

6. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Ive never had the opportunity to have a bass at the end of my line. It seems like whenever i go for bass i end up catching catfish :eek:oooh: lol. Good fish though and nice pics.:wink:

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Well I went back today at this same pond,armed with cheerios and dough ball made with ....

1 1/2 cups Ole Roy dog food small chunks mixed with 1/4 cup water
    let set for about a hr to swell up to twice the size, put them in a blender
    ( I cannot tell you who's that was):wink:chopped it up real good...
    mixed in 1 cup mashed up Wheaties chopped some more along with another 1/4 cup water and finished it up in a mixing bowl mashing it tell it was mixed throughly and squeezing it into a ball about the size of a grapefruit..

Got to the pond around 4:pm and got setup..thru in some cheerios and watched as the bluegill came in by the hundreds,popping the surface after the cheerios, as I kept pitching it out to them about every 10 minutes, I took a ultra light spinning outfit and some wax-worms and smoked them bluegills. Ended up with about 80 hand size bluegill. Not bad for pitching cheerios.LOL..

But that was just the beginning, as them bluegill got hot on the surface the channels started moving in and that when the Ole Roy came into play, with a #1 Gama I put small balls of dough ball, pitched out just past the bluegill activity and BAM It was on,

In 2 Hrs I caught 13 channels from 2-4# each...I had already cleaned 6 before I thought about the camera,,But look at the thickness of these channels and the guts on them.. It was dark out when I was cleaning so the pics are not the best in the world, but you can still see them.. We had another great time.... Oh the rods I built, done there job well and feels great with fish hanging from them.:cool2:

Attached Files:

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    yeah kenny a few years ago i watched a guy haul out a 23 pound channel cat, after that i fished the pond with 8-10 whole gizzard shad. all i caught was bass, although they were big bass. it was a lake that was fixin to be drained, so i drained it of bass, just never did catch a cat.

9. Water Wolf

Water Wolf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Those are some nice Bass. I would be very happy with a day of catching those Bass. Good job. Keep knockin'em dead.

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congrats on the fishing thank you so much for sharing the pictures and things with us, them are some nice bass and catfish that you caught sounds like you found your self a good pond to catch some nice fish, glad to hear you had your self some luck.

11. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have done that before! Nice bass!

12. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had that same problem earlier this year while fishing Baldwin lake in southern IL. I was targetting blues and flat heads near the warm water discharge. I had a 4-5" live gill on my flathead rig and after a while it just kept bumping. At first I thought it was the gill getting scarred of a bigger fish in the area until it started bumping a little harder. Didn't think it was hard enough to be a cat, but set the hook to find out. I knew I had something on, but didn't really give much of a fight. When I got it to the shore I found an 18" bass with just the tail of my gill sticking out of her throat. She had already laid her eggs and was looking for an easy meal. She was really weak, and in about 20-25' of water. I know of a lot of people who catch catfish while bass fishing, but I haven't heard of too many that do it the other way.

13. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Hello, I am new to the board and just move to Kentucky the end of last year.
    I went to Barren River Lake (the damn in about 4 miles from my house) and was feeling out the fish with worms, corn and chicken livers and I was doing well. About 7:00 I put on another piece of liver about the size of a quarter and tossed it out. After about 2 minutes it TOOK OFF. I set the hook and reeled in a 3# large mouth? I re baited and threw out again and about 3 minutes went by when it took off again and I reeled in another 3-4# large mouth! I could under stand if I cast out and the bait was falling and they hit as they will hit about anything if it scares them but these livers were on the bottom for a few minutes each time.