Catfishing and Bassfishng question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fishwv, Jun 16, 2006.

1. fishwv

fishwv New Member

State:
    WV
    First off, I would like to say what a great website this is and I hope I've posted this in the right form. I have never been catfishing so I have a question. Every year I go bass fishing with 3 other people. Its kind of hard to bass fish with 4 people in a boat,so this year I've decided to try catfishing. I'm going to be catfishing while everyone else is bass fishing. I need to know if this is a problem. Do catfish scare off bass? I don't want to ruin there fishing cause of me. I'd appreciate if anyone can help. Thanks!!

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    :big_smile_2:

Nice to have you aboard!!

:haha:

Them 40 plus lb Flatheads can push out them 8 lb Bass!!

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    T I dont think youll have a problem but just make sure they know where your lines are otherwise youll get tangled. I would stay in the back of the boat if you are on one and cast strait out to where there is some good cover (trees rocks and whatnot). Either that or if they want to bass fish stay on shore and find a place as it will get messy on the boat (in my opinion). Good luck and tight lines.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey there T, Welcome to the Brotherhood. Just make yourself at home. After you get to catching some cats your buddies will probably switch over too.

ST

5. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    T welcome to the BOC the best catfishing site on the net! If I were going with them in the boat I would look for some good deep water castable from a shore line and have them take me to it and get out and fish. They can come back in an hour or so and pick you up and take you to another spot if that one does not pan out. Good luck hope you catch a boat load.

6. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Welcome to BOC T!

7. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    welcome to boc if you catch a few nice cats you won't have to worry about it , cause there will be 4 people catfishing:lol:

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome T to the boc. Converts are welcome form all forms of fishing.

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    cat fishing and bass fishing on the same boat at the same time I dont see how it would work to well. I am always moving my boat when I bass fish so unless they are going to sit in one spot and fish then I can see it being no problem. Welcome to the board too.

10. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Have to agree with mutt. Like to bass fish myself and it requires a lot of moving. Stay on the bank and you won't lose your fishin buddies.

11. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    If I am not fishing a bass tourney I always carry a couple of cat poles with me so when the wife and I get tired of fishing for bass and want to make a all day fishing trip we will anchor and fish for cats.

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have had problems with Bass fisherman on the pank, let alone in a boat! I don't have anything against Bass fishing, but have had problems with lines crossing. Mono line and power pro will produce a tangle unlike anything you ever seen!

13. mike79

mike79 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    IF THEY BASS FISH LIKE I DO THEY WILL BE USING A TROLLING MOTOR AND MOVEING ALOT,TRY A DIP WORM WITH DIP BAIT CARRIED BY WAL-MART,AND JUST SLOW JIG IT AROUND COVER JUST LIKE YOU WOULD FOR BASS,BELIVE IT OR NOT MY DAD ACTUALLY CAUGHT A CHANNEL CAT ON A BLACK BUZZ BAIT OUT OF THE OHIO RIVER WHILE BASS FISHEN,WELL I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU SOME HAVE FUN FISHIN
    LATER FISHIN BUDDIES:big_smile:

14. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I diasagree with some of the others. Make yourself up a shallow water minnow rig with a float and cast your minnows in the same places the bass fishermen cast their lures. You are likely to hang a big channel and fishing a minnow, no telling what else you may catch.

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I gotta second the bobber suggestions. Get you a good slip bobber setup and bring different baits. Minnows, livers and worms ought to work. Also if your fishing in deep water you may be able to fish straight down from the boat. Maybe go for some bluegill too so you can cut them up for bait, good luck.

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They can't be serious about bass fishing. If they were they wouldn't be trying to do it with 4 people in a boat. It just doesn't work.

17. pursuit

pursuit New Member

State:
    CA
    Four person on a boat does not work for Bass & Catfishing simultaneously. You could either ask them to drop you off at the nearest bank with good cover/structure or split the time between Bass and Catfishing. It doesn't work too well when the boat is moving around and people constantly throwing jigs, lures or flipping or pitching while your line is still. Even if you're way aft on the boat you'll get in the way sooner or later.