catfishing a new river

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by butch fulk, Jul 14, 2008.

1. butch fulk

butch fulk New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    when catfishing a river that you never fished befor. what do look for as a good spot to fish catfish.do you look for log jam or deep holes, or do you throw out in the middle of the river . we put in the grand river and went upriver in a boat ,but not to sure on what to look for we did not get any thing , we used shrimp and cut bluegills

2. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Butch-
    I look for a place for fish to get out of the current, especially this year with all the rain we've had. The best log jams are the ones so big and so old they have grass growing on them.
    Another good spot is when you find a place where there's one spot that's deeper than anything else in the area. A six foot hole in a an area that's mostly three feet deep is a fish magnet.
    Don't overlook good old night crawlers, and I personally believe oily fish like suckers and chubs make better cut bait than bluegills.
    Good luck,
    T

3. butch fulk

butch fulk New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    thank you will have to look next tim we go , how long do you set in a hole befor you move to a new hole

4. wishbone1

wishbone1 New Member

State:
    michigan
    Hello Butch
    Tony's right on with his post,(especially during daylight hours)

cats will come up on the flats or shallow eddies after dark to feed also.
    (especially if you chum for them).
    they leave their holes at night to roam in search of food.
    Barry

5. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Most folks don't like to fish the way I do, but I'll tell you anyway.
    If a spot looks good to me, I'll sit there for 8 hours or more, even without a bite. If I believe there's cats there, I'll go back over and over.
    I've sat over a snag without a bite from 6pm to midnight, and between midnight and 1am caught six fish from 6 to 30 pounds.
    Go to a good spot, bring good bait, be patient, don't shine lights in the water, and be really really quiet. If you've got the discipline to do that, it pays off.
    See picture attached.

Attached Files:

6. butch fulk

butch fulk New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    what kind of bait do you use . i tack shrimp and bluegills for cut bait and may stick bait that i got from walmart. the olny cat fish i got was on shrimp.we been out 7 or 8 time with only one fish .we get out anout 7 and stay some times to 11 or the bugs drive us out

7. ROYDOG

ROYDOG New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    butchy, butchy, butchy....

I guess maybe you should find a new partner, for he may be holding you back.....he is not very knowledgable, but dam is he good looking...............WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!! I am your partner....please disregard this idea......:wink: :smile2:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Really, it depends on what kind of fish you are trying to catch. I know that catfish behavior is pretty much the same, its mostly the scale of water that changes. The bigger the water, the more intimidating it can be and the "holes" are not quite as obvious. If still fishing, go with your instincts, Deep structure or riffle pools are always a safe bet. I wouldn't stay in one place too long. If you feel that you should have caught a fish, but have not, move to the next hole. This is the beauty of having a boat.

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    I fish for flatheads, not channels, so I pretty much strictly use live suckers, bluegills, and bullheads. I like them between 4" and 10" long.
    Early in the year, I will use cut sucker, but not after the water is above 75 degrees.
    Guys who fish channels like to use shrimp, cut sucker/chub, night crawlers (big gob, partially crushed to release scent), and store bought stink baits when it's hot.
    Still, the most important things are to fish where there's fish, go often, stay late, and be quiet.
    Hope that helps.

10. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Man there was a lot of good information in this thread that will help a newbie like me. I fish a reservoir that is more like a lake than a river, there is still an obvious current but for the most part it is like a lake. We fish holes that are from 14 to 28 feet deep that have stumps sticking out of the water. There is not a lot of brush on the bottom and almost no weed beds. We fish deep coves, points and the river bed but for the most part we fish the holes. What are you chumming with? Being new I have read about it but I don't know anybody using chum. i have seen the dough ball example in this sites library, is that what you are talking about? One of the guys said he sits eight hours in a good hole, man, thats a long time without any bites. We move around a lot usually fishing a spot 30 minutes or so and if no bite we move on to the next spot. Once it gets to about the last hour of daylight we choose a spot that has been good in the past and stay there. Perhaps this is why our fishing has been somewhat spotty.
    eyeguy

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    One of the guys said he sits eight hours in a good hole, man, thats a long time without any bites. We move around a lot usually fishing a spot 30 minutes or so and if no bite we move on to the next spot. Once it gets to about the last hour of daylight we choose a spot that has been good in the past and stay there. Perhaps this is why our fishing has been somewhat spotty.
    eyeguy[/quote]

I , personally would never sit in any one hole for eight hours, unless I was bank fishing. As a general rule if you don't have a bite within 30 minutes it should be about time to leave that hole. If it is dark, then I would consider giving it an hour, just because its harder to find a good hole at night, plus safety is always an issue.

12. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    "One of the guys said he sits eight hours in a good hole, man, thats a long time without any bites..."

Yes, it is a long time.
    That's why I said most people don't like to fish the way I do. If you want to catch a bunch of eater size fish, you're better off to move often. I'm fishing for big flatheads. Sit & wait works fine with me, and I've caught my share. That's what's great about catfishing, we can all do what we want, when we want, where we want.
    Besides, even though I have sat fishless for eight hours (who hasn't?), MOST nights aren't that slow, just once in a great while.
    Good fishing,
    Tony