Catfishin on a full moon

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by santee_catman, Sep 8, 2006.

1. i'm thinking of going up to the lakehouse at lake marion and do a little catfishin' sat a.m. and noticed that it was a full moon. what are you guys take on fishing on a full moon(better,worse,same?) or should i sleep in and wait for the clemson game to come on:confused2:

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    My personal experience is that the night fishing is lousy after the moon rises. Not that fish can't be caught, but the catch rate falls waaaay off for me.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    watch out for the werecat :lol: but yeah i like the full moon means in a good safe location i can fish with out my lights

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I've had nights where it didn't make any difference, moon or not. Other times I've had good nights. Is kinda serene sitting out there on the lake and no noise with the moon rising over the lake and reflecting down on the water. Kinda reminds me of the old beer commercial from the land of sky blue waters. Hamms Beer.

5. yeah that moonlight night shining on the water is nice. i dont know about
    the "werecat" but i was terrorized by some low flying bats once:lol:
    How about daytime fishing on a full moon?

6. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    a buddy and i fished the mississippi near hannibal mo,last night was full moon.we both were getting bites,but nothing would run with the bait.

7. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I don't think that there are any catfish on the moon!!! :lol:
    I have'nt had too much luck fishing for flatheads during the full moon. Seems that when the big bright full moon gets high in the sky, the bite just shuts down!! I suppose that it's kind of like fishing for them during the daylight hours!

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Last full moon my son got a nice one just close enough to see his fat belly, then he broke the line and that was the only action we got that whole night from the cats. Couldnt keep those pesky stripers off though:roll_eyes: .

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i wouldnt let it hold me back too much. there is more to it than the moon. at least thats what i think. i seen it go both ways. believe or not the best two nights i ever had was a full moon. one time flatheads the other was blues. also had nights that was perfect for fishing and got skunked! it all boils down to how bad you want to fish.

10. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Cowart;
    Mark, I read your post and your question and thought I would throw my own "two cent's" worth in.
    The past few months I've been ordering in a lot of different books, CD-Rom's, DVDs, magazines with Catfishing articles and all to study up on the so called "Science" of "High Tech" Catfishing.
    From what I have read, the general consensus is that the few days Before The Moon Goes FULL and a few days After are usually the best times to go after the "Kat's". Supposedly the bigger ones feed in the shallower waters at this time of the Lunar cycle.
    However!, this is strictly speaking about the effects of the Lunar Cycle! As some of the other Brothers have mentioned, there is more to it, [apparently much more], than just the "when and where" of the Moon!
    There are weather fronts that come into play along with barometric pressure changes and the directions of those changes, along with the level of the lake, stream, river, ect, that your fishing in along with other factors such as the availability of good food, well oxygenated water of the proper temperatures, and so on and so fourth! There are several other things I could add but this is getting long winded enough as it is!! :embarassed: :confused2: :wink: :lol:
    Now, having said all of that here is what the "Old Coyote" sez;
    " Your not going to have much more nice weather like this to go out and play in! Pretty soon you will have to start wearing heavier clothes when you go fishing and all just to keep warm."
    So, as far as I am concerned, any, and I do mean ANY, excuse to get out in this wonderful weather while it still lasts, to do some serious "Kattin'" is worth it!
    "For all the knowledge our Fish Biologists have, the BOC Caliber of Catfish is still very much a stubborn minded individual! On any given day/night who knows what will make that record book Blue come take a sniff, and huge gulp, of your offering?? I don't, but I DO KNOW this; Any Time Your Hook and Line Are NOT In The Water; You Sure As He*L Are NOT Going To Catch Anything!" :cool2: :big_smile: :wink:
    "GO FOR IT! And I HOPE you catch a really "BIGGUNN" too!":big_smile: If you do, please let me know about it along with all the other Brothers and Sisters!
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

11. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I have almost always done better on nights with a full moon, and like Coyote says the two or three days before and after. I wouldn't say I nessicairly plan trips around them, but I always check, and I usualy get a little excited if I know its a full moon, or close to.

I know no one wants to hear this, but (in my experinces anyway) I've had some of my best ever bass fishin nights on/around full moons too..

12. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    We caught our biggest Flathead on a full moon in the Pee Dee River,but I usually don't fish the lakes on a full moon night.A guide once told me that carp lay their eggs on a full moon and the baitfish gather to eat them,and the Flatheads go after the baitfish.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    My fishing logs show a bad bite on a full moon, but most of thos records are from daylight drift trips.

Last night I went out on a full moon that was to rise around 8:00pm in hopes of seeing if the night was any better.

It wasn't.

I caught five fish from 7:30pm-2:00am, and none of any significant size. I drifted, anchored shallow and deep, and tried some vertical fishing over fish in deep water.

Was it the moon or something else? Who knows. Could have been the bait, the barometer, or the temperature. Just too many factors involved to decide if the moon really plays a part or not. For some reason though, all my trips under a full moon are not that good and the trips under the waning moon are really good. So, decide for yourself.

14. Thanks guys for all your input(especially Coyote1)
    I did go today for a little while 8:00am-11:30 and didn't do too bad.
    I got 5 total ....(2) 25 lbers an 8 lb. & 2 about 5 lbs. I also lost a real nice striper right as i tried to net it:sad2: Her are a few pics of the biggest ones. i was using whole 4-5" fresh herring in 20'-28' of water.

hope the pics work

15. lets try this again.

16. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Last wednesday night, I went fishing with a buddy from work. It was darn near a full moon, and he was using smelt and hot-dog. I was using Sonny's blood formula, and two brothers not too far from us were using turkey livers. One of the brothers broke his pole bringing in a 4 ponder(and actually landed it), and his brother succesfully brought in an 8 lb 12 oz blue! It wasnt exactly a full moon, but I didnt need to use my lantern to check my lines.

17. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    Wife and i just returned from a full moon catfishing trip to santee and did good . We got there tuesday and came home saturday, tues and wed no serious fishing because of bad storms, but we made up for it thurs and fri. Thursday we fish beginning safe marker where cannel goes into lower lake, fished from 6:30 -2: am and caught 14 blues from 5-20 lbs and one 36 pounder. Fri we moved to adkins landing and fished lowed part of lake from 8:30-2-am and caught 22 blues, four were from 25-30 lbs and one 43 pounder, we released all fish over 30 lbs and still came home with around 30 lbs of catfish steaks. say what you want about full moon but i,ll fish it anytime i get a chance, ha ha. Wife and i had a great trip to santee, going back in oct to do it again.

18. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i hear you with them fish!!! congrates on the catch! the full moon is not all bad. was they pulling water this week in the canal?

19. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    No, they were not pulling water , but when they do the fish go crazy, very few fish were caught on the cannel only at the exit to lower lake. People next to me as canal lakes fished all night and caught one small blue and 4-5 small channel cats.