Catfishin' Addiction?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BassMassey, Jul 17, 2009.

1. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Why is catching trophy catfish so addicting? I was thinking about this the other day, and I came up with a pretty good theory. I think it's purely the roller coaster of emotions that you go through while you're fishing. Once you're all set up either in the boat or on the bank and have all your lines in the water you are in such a relaxed state. You might be in this relaxed state for quite some time if the fishing is slow. You're heart rate is nice n slow and you're blood pressure is down. Then in the corner of your eye you see a rod get hammered, drag peeling out of the rod holder.....your heart starts racing a bit and your blood pressure goes up! I feel this roller coaster of emotions is what makes me want to go every chance i get. And there's a bunch of other reasons why catfishing is great. Can ya'll relate to my theory?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Fun to think about,,
    I always,, "Expect" to catch fish, don't always, but, when I'm setup as you've described,, it can happen at any moment,,
    Always looking for the "Big One",,, enjoy all of them, and, if it's a slow trip, that's part of it, but, when it's "Fish On" it is definitely as you say, and, Focus time!!!!

3. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I can definately relate. All of my old bass fishing buddies ask me why i switched to "redneck" catfishing, I just ask them "how many 60 pound bass have you caught?", then I take them out and they completely understand. I have been trying for a year to get an old bass fishing tournament partner of mine to come out blue catting with me, if he ever does he might give up the "greenies" forever LOL.

4. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Good theroy Aaron, I think you might be on to something there. Thanks for the post and thoughts, I think you are right it must be an addiction.

5. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    lets see cause i do not bass why throw bait out & reel in all the time--plus i like to relaxe when i am fishing until that bait clicker and the rod is screaming oh shyt here we go a monster is on and you set the hook and you know it is a big ol whisker

6. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I'll fish for bout anything, but nothin makes my heart skip a beat more than just seeing that tick of the rod tip. I can be sittin there Zen-like for an hour and as soon as that rod tip just bounces once, I'm full alert and ready to go!

7. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The last time my dad was here he was talking to one of my buddies about fishing..My dad was saying that I was a good fisherman and all and he loved to go fishing with me but I don't ever want to leave..It is kinda funny..I get so focused when I'm fishing..I forget about everything thats gone on around me except for that rod tip or that cork..

8. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    It's definitely addicting for me, complete with withdawal syptoms if I don't go for a while :wink::smile2:. Catfishing is a roller coaster ride for sure. I enjoy the relaxing aspect of just bein' on the water even when the fish aren't bitin', but I always know that any second a rod could go down with a monster on the other end. I really love both aspects of catfishin', but if I just wanted to be outdoors and relax, I wouldn't even take fishin' poles I guess. At the same time, if I just wanted to catch more fish I'd be bream fishin' instead. There's definitely something about sittin' in the calm waitin' for all heck to break loose :big_smile:.

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Either on the water on on the bank, catfishing is addicting. I think it is the hunt. The atmosphere that sounds the water. I been catfishing since a kid. To me " It is a way of life" :wink:

10. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Why is it that if you really like doing something that it is an addiction?
    It's not like fishing is a sick behavior of some type. You find it entertaining
    for your own reasons. Seems that it depends on who is doing the judging
    to me. If you don't go to church or hang out with your old lady when
    someone thinks you should, then you must be in the grip of some evil
    addiction in the form of Demon Catfish. Experts should get a life. Really.

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

It,s the FEVER,plain and simple.Once you catch it there aint no cure and there aint no goin back! theres always one bigger one you gotta go after.Lot worse things to be hooked on.:crazy:

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah I'm addicted to trophy catfishing. Have been for many years. Its knowing that at any moment the rod could get slammed, line begins to rip, and that next big one has taken the bait. What a rush of adrenaline!:crazy:

13. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    yep, you said it!!

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    its always searchin for that next PB, time out on the water, hangin out with friends, the feel of the power the flatty has as he's screamin the drag, and it beats cuttin grass :big_smile:

15. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Catfishing to me is relaxing and I can put out my poles and just sit back and wait. I can just sit back and enjoy all the things around me. And can have a bon fire on the bank and drink lots of beer. And I can sit on the river chasing down jugs. I get a rush everytime i see the rod flicker while catfishing. I do enjoy striper fishing as well as trout fishing. But not as much as catfishing. Andrew

16. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I hear you bro, I think it get's even worst once you get a nice sized one say 30 pounds. I know I did, as soon as I caught it I started to wonder what would a 40 feel and fight like, now I'm wondering what a 50 will feel like and it's just gona keep goin till I find a 100 pounder. after that I might take up marlin, shark and tuna fishin :smile2:

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i had the same post lol, yea bass comeone,lol,but stripers thats another story id love to get some 20 pound stripers,but i cant qwit catfishing to do it, i got bluecat fever never got a big blue, like flatheads, biggest flats were 50 and 42