Catfishfever- fishing out of Osbourne Landing.

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by hipshot, Jan 19, 2006.

1. hipshot

hipshot New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Hello everyone this is my first post on here, I've fished the James a few times but after reading all the post i guess it's time to try it again. I will be fishing out of osbourne landing on Sat. 20th. So if you see someone riding around like there lost and not knowing what there doing that will be me. stop and say hello.

2. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Welcome to the board. Good luck to ya. I'll be out of Osbourne myself on saturday morning.
    /scott

3. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    i'll be fishing on the 20th too but that'll be friday :)

we'll be launching out of osbourne tomorrow but guess i'll miss ya

welcome to the board!

4. hipshot

hipshot New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Tank or Gottafish when fishing out of osbourne landing is it better to fish upstream or down, how about back in the warm water behind the power plant. I will be on the water a little after 8 have to get bait at fin & fur first, Have the fish been hitting the bait hard or just pulling on it ?? are you fishing tight lines or useing the clicker on the reels. sorry for all the questions but i'am a little new at this./Ron

5. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Last time I was out, the fish were hitting pretty well. I fish circle hooks so I literally leave the rod in the holder until the rod is loaded and the fish is taking drag (or at least trying). If you find that you're getting a lot of light bites, then try downsizing your baits a little.

Haven't fished back in the discharge so I can't tell you how that is, but I can tell that the water is quite warm for January from this warm weather and my guess is that it wouldn't be "as productive" as it would during a colder period.

Fishing is good either up or down. There is some nice water between presquille and the 295 bridge, and above Osbourne.

Look for holes and abrupt depth changes and try and mark fish on the upcurrent side of the contours that you find. Those will be active fish. Anchor up on them and try and present a bait to them. If they're biting it shouldn't be long before you get a take down.

I'll be by myself in a 16' camo Jon Boat, including the motor. Hit me up if you see me. If I have any extra fresh bait, I'll pass it over to you.

Hope this helps.

/Scott

6. hipshot

hipshot New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks Gottafish i'll say hello if i see you, i'll be in a 17ft bass boat with Spectrum on the side should be two of us unless my kid is a no show in the morning./Ron

7. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Wish you luck. I sure hope they're biting!!
    /Scott

8. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Hey Hipshot, If you have never been back to the sprinklers be carefull. Its very dangerous back there especially if you have a bigger boat. I have been going back there for over 20 years and i even bent a prop and shaft last year on a concrete wall underwater. The fishing is excellent back there in certain times of the year and there are some huge stripers at the end of Febuary give or take a couple weeks. Its pretty shallow all over back there but plenty of bait in the winter and good fishing in some of the deep holes. GoodLuck to ya.

9. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    if you have a cast net buying bait is a serious waste of money .. the bait was stacked REAL heavy today back towards the backside of the plant

i'm not so sure fishing back there would do you any good .. during a normal winter yes but the fish have no reason to search out warmer water with all the warm weather we've been having .. but if you go back there prove me wrong if you want :)

past 2 times out the fish have been rather finicky .. i've only had 2 solid takedowns in 2 trips .. most i've had to "help" .. i use circles so i usually just leave it in the rod holder and let the fish hook itself .. lately however i've had to give a slow deliberate power lift once they have the bait in their mouth to set the hook

the best way to go right now is not to fish big chunks .. normal pieces for me are about the size of the palm of my hand or bigger but i've been doing half that lately .. plus if you can get your hands on some king kahle hooks that will allow you the option of setting the hook on the finicky ones or letting the aggressive ones hook themselves .. you'll probably pick up some smaller fish with the smaller baits as we've been but the bigger fish will still eat the smaller baits .. if you have more than one rod i'd recommend a good big bait on one and half that size on another

up or down from osbourne? with the way the winds and tides are predicted for tomorrow i'd probably stick from the power plant to the deep bottom cut through below osbourne .. going above you'll be limited to just by the sand plant .. with the wind blowing hard out of the south you're gonna have a heck of a time staying anchored on outgoing tide

at any rate good luck to the both of ya

10. Targa 175

Targa 175 New Member

State:
    Richmond,Virginia
    Tank
    My name is Jim Benfield and I just joined Catfish 1 last night. I was looking for good information about catfishing out of Dutch Gap and was impressed with your knowledge and willingness to share information. I am new to boat fishing as I have had my Tracker Targa 175 for a year and a half. In that time period I have loved fishing the Dutch Gap area. Last Janurary I caught a 38lber on raw shrimp and am looking for better bait for bigger cats. I purchased a cast net recently and have learned to use it fairly well so far. I fish alot even in winter. I try to go out and fish at least once a week and Dutch Gap is a great place to go after work and fish a couple hours. I am just starting to learn the names of the areas around DG and fish with different baits. I've been catching shiners but am not sure how to bait it. Do I cut it up or fish it whole. Let me know next time your out there and I could meet you on the water and give a personal "Howdy"

Jimbo

11. Targa 175

Targa 175 New Member

State:
    Richmond,Virginia
    Gentlemen
    What is your take on keeping cats out of the Dutch Gap area. I've caught between 75 to 100 in the last 6 months ranging from 1lb to 38lbs but have released each one. Worried about mercury poisioning. Talked to a water ranger a couple of months ago and he says keeping the 8 lber's and less I should be safe but he did not mention how many a week. What's your take on this.

12. hillbeach

hillbeach New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hipshot I have fished out of osborne and you need to go down river and fish. Try and net some gizzard's for bait. Lots of people fishing around there and most due not have a problem sharing bait. Try any wood in the river and hang on. Hope to get up there in a couple of weeks.

13. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Hey, there a whole bunch of you new members that need to be welcomed...

Sit back, relax, look around, there are a whole lot of great members in this BOC community.

Welcome to the BOC!

14. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Bluecathunter....could you be more specific of the sprinkers area....new to the James....although I just downloaded a map trying to get more familiar... don't know where the power plant is either.

Thanks Jerry