Catfishermans Paradise (Hell)

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by hamilton, Jun 25, 2013.

1. hamilton

hamilton New Member

State:
    ohio
    You guys seen this place? I went and checked it out last week. I went to paylakes when I was younger so I never batted an eye when I read bad things about paylakes because I figured people was just overreacting a bit. I'm not gonna bash all paylakes but man, I have never seen anything so unnatural in my life. The lakes (ponds really) are lined with gravel and so are all the shores so it looks messed up before you even cast. I noticed when I got there a rotten fish smell covering the place that I could not escape. Within 5 minutes of walking up to the pond I walked up to I seen two dead decent size blue cats floating near the shore where I sat in my chair. On the dock in the middle they had a motor running making terrible racket (I think its some kind of aerator?), not to mention I counted almost 30 glowsticks on the water at just the pond I was at, I seen a guy threaten to beat up another guy for casting over his line. I guess the owners must be doing something right to have lakes full of people paying $20 each, the walmart of paylakes I guess.

WP_20130620_016.jpg WP_20130620_015.jpg

2. Fisherman 3234

Fisherman 3234 Member

State:
    Ohio
    There is about a 30 percent mortality rate within 2-3 weeks, and the chances of older larger fish dying increases over time. Why do you think they stock the ponds every 2 months? The fish die and people profit from it. No other wildlife gets treated like this in the state of Ohio. People wonder why some of us catmen get so upset about this issue...

Tod74, MattTheFlatCatKid and wolfman like this.

3. adamdehner007

adamdehner007 New Member

State:
    Independence Ky
    well said!

4. LeeWoolery

LeeWoolery Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Lee
    I am a reformed paylaker...I have seen the light and would like to see them all shut down or let them only stock private hatchery-raised fish and leave the public fish alone.

An insider in the pay lake industry told me that the mortality rate was closer to 60 percent due to poor fish hauling practices, stress and improper living conditions at the pay ponds.

They cannot be allowed to continually take trophies out of public waters for personal profit or there will be none left.

Anybody who has ( or still does ) frequent these places has to wonder this when looking at all of the BIG FISH STOCKED photos:

"Where are the big fish they say they put in these lakes? The only ones I see caught are 35 pounds max and what is that smell?...kinda' like a sewage plant is nearby."

It would be nice to see the State of Ohio take over the pay lake industry, remove all the fish and return them to their natural waters and have fisheries biologists as consultants and treat the fish with the respect they deserve as they are returned to a natural environment such as the Scioto, Muskingum, Maumee and Great Miami Rivers and distribute some to the various lakes and reservoirs around the state.

Good fishing,

Lee

Tod74 and wolfman like this.
  5. plainsman

plainsman New Member

State:
    minnesota
    Hatchery raised fish would be ok, but I reckon it cost too much to feed em and raise em to stocking size. What ya gonna do, ain't no natural lakes in Ohio, all man made, I reckon that's ok, but I don't really agree with stocking wild fish.

6. LeeWoolery

LeeWoolery Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Lee
    Tim:

Let the pay lake owners foot the bill and wait 10 years for the catfish to grow that big at the hatchery and then complain when they cost a small fortune and are hard to come by.

If they can't cover the premium cost for a trophy 8 pound channel cat then that's fine...let them go out of business.

I don't know what percentage of the members on this site also fish pay ponds...or who would even admit to it...but the business must be profitable in Ohio and Kentucky given that you can take all the big fish you want out of the Ohio River and let them die and rot without penalty.

There was a guy around here who had raised an alligator in his basement in a bath tub for 15 years and it was taken from him because of "deplorable conditions." The local officials were pretty upset about this and I don't know if he will face animal cruelty charges.

The authorities placed the animal in a wildlife rescue hospital until it recovered and then it was to be relocated.

The way the residents on "Swamp People" slaughter those alligators you wouldn't think they had any supporters.

Now...think of all those big catfish taken out of their natural environment and forced to live out a slow death sentence in "deplorable conditions" at the pay pond...and no fish management officials, wildlife officer or animal rights groups is speaking up?

Good fishing,

Lee

Tod74 likes this.
  7. repoman3809

repoman3809 Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Fishing a one acre lake stocked with 50,000lbs of big cat ever year, really doesnt constitute catfishing. Might as well be fishing at the Newport Aquarium.

I know most folks have seen the videos of Catfishermans Paradise stocking. But I figured perfect time to add the vids for folks who have yet to see them.

Vids:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P2lSrbStAfg (vid courtesy of drpepper)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-L0ZP_S3FI

Pics:
    http://catfishermansparadise.com/Stocked_2011_pics.html

Or here's a pic of the very important Catfisherman's Paradise hearse. They got move the daily dead(pic courtesy of drpepper).
    catfishing paradise dead cat cleanup.jpg

8. rrssmith

rrssmith Well-Known Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Make them bitches buy their fish from a hatchery....when i think of a commercial fisherman i think of a fella puttin' on his Grudens wet gear and hittin the Pacific ocean or Atlantic....not this.. If you want to be guaranteed to catch fish then you should be prepared to pay extra to catch farm raised fish...NOT a fish that has been snatched from its habitat. Shame on any state that allows this!

Tod74 and Catfishmane like this.
  9. repoman3809

repoman3809 Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    NO DOUBT!!! If I could "Thanks" more than once, you'd have 100 new "Thanks'.

On top of that, they stock 50,000lbs a year. They dont let folks take fish home. So that just proves 50% of the fish are dying within a year. Its only five small ponds.

Worst part there's hundreds of these pay lakes around the Cincinnati area, this probably the biggest.

10. James DeVary

James DeVary New Member

State:
    Kentuckiana
    We all know these fish are going to die...

We should be seeing bigger and bigger Blues and Flatheads but its just the oppisite here in the Louisville area...The problem is bigger than just paylakes but they may have the biggest impact at the moment... We are losing breeding size fish,we now have Asian carp that should be food for the bigger species of catfish...The Asian carp has a 5 month breeding span with a high sucsess rate..There should be a abundance of BIG Cats for sportfisherman,but there really isnt and its a shame... We are losing breeders to CF and we are losing neonate Larvae to the Big Mouth Asian carp... The catfish egg becomes a Larvae and lives off its egg sack but also needs Plankton , well the Asian carp feeds on Plankton as they are filter feeders...Now we have all the small Larvae being eaten as they compete for the same food the Asian carp is eating and that is 2 parts of the compound problem we face... Not to mention there is no limits on Catfish what-so-ever.. None,, Nadda,, Null in the Ohio river and its because Ky. sets the limits and laws on the river...We need Creel and Size limits on the River...

11. throbak

throbak Member

State:
    indiana
    We need catfish off the list of available fish for them to exploit

Tod74 likes this.
  12. James DeVary

James DeVary New Member

State:
    Kentuckiana
    Yes Dale we do... Its sad, thats why im going saturday.. i might not be the best speaker the world has ever heard but I am doing research and my presence means im not going to set back and watch from the sidelines.. Im in the Game coach...Im sick of it, we live in a different time and should know what the outcome is going to be... can you say Depleted Resource?

13. James DeVary

James DeVary New Member

State:
    Kentuckiana
    Not only that, but why are the big catfish farms asking for Gov. funds to stay in buisness?

14. bowhunter145

bowhunter145 Member

State:
    indiana
    My hole thing on the matter is they (CF'S) say we will loose money i live off that. WHO CARES. You are looseing what a few thousands then. look at Deadlest Catch when they redused the red crab quota they lost millions not a few thousand. Did they complain yes. but did they just give up and quit no they went out and got what they could and realized that there doing it for good reasons. Like not becoming on the endangered list. These James greeds that are out raping the rivers there don't look at the future weather its a year or 20 years from now it keeps on going then nobody will be able to do anything with catfish out of these rivers and lakes. you want your kids to take over your business when your done but there wont be nothing left. You want to support your family but there wont be nothing left. So on that matter if the CF's don't look at the future then either way if they where to ban commercial fishing or not do anything at all sometime along the line they will lose everything and have to find another way to support there familys. So all i can say is it your falt CF's and don't want to hear your B&*$#ing when you go out of business and don't know what to do.

15. hamilton

hamilton New Member

State:
    ohio
    I watched them videos of the stocking and looked at that picture of the cart full of big dead cats, I just keep getting more and more angry about it. How can someone take a wild fish from a public waterway and put it in a tiny pond that you have to pay to fish in? These fish take a long time to grow that big, I hope eventually someone who can do something about it takes notice before a 5 pounder will be the new trophy size cat.

16. James DeVary

James DeVary New Member

State:
    Kentuckiana
    I was reading up on farm raised channels,, it takes 30 to 36 months to reach a decent eadible size... Were looking at 20 years as it is rite now for Blues to grow in numbers that we had 5 to 7 years ago....

Naw their not looking at the future, their looking at their bank account...

We need a processing plant for Asian Carp, whether it be for Cat food,dog food, or whatever else... Then CF can keep on fishing and we wont have to listen to them cry... That would sort out the CF from the River Rapers !!!!

17. repoman3809

repoman3809 Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Yea James, I also searched this not to long ago. I came up with the following:

Catfish grow at best roughly 3-4lbs a year. That leaves these 30lb, 40lb, 50lb, 60lb and 70lb fish, likely 10 to 30 years old. Taking thousands of 20 to 30 year old fish from one pool of the Ohio River every year, has to be detrimental.

Like Kevin(Hamilton) said, eventually a trophy size fish will be 5lbs.

It's like every other thing on earth...demand goes up, resources go down. Of course we regulate everything else.

If your bank account reads $500,000. You make $100,000 a year. But you spend $200,000 a year. Your gonna go broke, unless you regulate.

REASONABLE REGULATIONS HAVE TO BE SET!

Recreational catfishing on the Ohio River has grown 5 fold in the last 10 years, but the general size caught is getting smaller. The last Blue record for KY and IN wasnt recorded in the last 10 years, even though again, catfishing is growing 5 fold. The Flathead records for Oh, Ky and In dont even belong to the Ohio River, they belong to other waterways. Only 1 of the 3 state Channel records belongs to the Ohio River.

So the second largest flowing river in the US and the largest natural waterway for catfish in the states of Ky, Oh and In(second place isnt even close). But it only produce 3 of the 9 size records for catfish and only one in the last 10 years(a Channel).

Oh, I know why....it's the largest commercial catfished waterway, with no regulations.

Novamega likes this.
  18. skyline1506

skyline1506 Active Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Jordan
    i am not sure its even fair to treat farm raised fish like that. no fish should be in those conditions.

19. superviper

superviper New Member

State:
    ohio
    Name:
    your first name
    There is a pay lake near me called Austin Lake, in Richmond Ohio. It is a very big, private lake. My 7th grade science teacher owns it. It is great for swimming and camping, but I just can't get myself to pay to fish. It cost around $7 just to enter the lake, then if you want to fish it's like another $6 an hour and you can only fish on the dock where they can see you. There are some big fish in this lake, but they are out where you need a boat to catch them. I can only imagine what they charge for that

20. Novamega

Novamega Active Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Eric
    CFP 1 and 2 are the grossest thing to ever happen to catfishing, I don't know how they call that fishing

TURKINATOR56 likes this.