Catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by luckey wade, Oct 10, 2007.

1. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    why are the catfish slow.

2. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    they been slow a good part of the year im going out this weekend to see if they picked up. about 6 weeks ago they were doing alright. with the lack of rain, no good current and low water levels all over has not helped at all, as soon as that water starts rising go hit the river you will do just fine. I HOPE!lol

3. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i agree with eric

4. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Randy i dont know what waters your fishing but in my area Eric hit it on the head.We need some damn good rain.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Randelflatman!!! the cats are slow because of the changing conditions. you know that.. they go through a transition period about this time every year... the best way to say it is they are confused! They have been used to consistent water temps. for months now..metabolism has been the same..NOW, kinda like they got a case of the flu bug.. don't feel well and need the car-harts!!! they will adjust and migrate to different areas soon and start feeding up for the slow months....hope this helps you bro...rollo

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    After this cold sets in do you notice the bigger flats feeding in shallow or deeper parts of the river.haven't fished the winter months of the river that much yet.

7. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    dont know really my frist year looking for them i going to try deep .
    that would be a good question

8. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    All you Ohio Brothers check out the get together thread I posted and let me know what you think. Thanks I didnt mean to hijack your thread, just want to meet all you brothers I can.:big_smile:

9. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i was thinking deep myself but not sure this is my first year going after them through the winter

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I don't believe that is slow, but as Rollo says, they are in transition. Transition means some are in summer haunts, some are in winter, and some are in between. In other words they are spread out now more than ever. Now, on our side of the equation, if you have no idea that a transition is taking place, most likely you are fishing in the same spot you have been all summer, meaning half the fish are gone. I don't know about you, but I have trouble catching fish when they are all there!

What I am doing is looking for summer spots, winter spots and then "lanes" between the two. Also keep an eye on the bite times. Will the bite time change? I am spending a lot of time on the water, and it hopefully will start to pay off.

Good luck guys,

Shawn

11. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shawn, have you noticed any significant change in the bite times (ie, mid-day better than evening, evening better tham night, night better than morning, and so on...)...

I'm still needing all the help I can get... :)

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    bite patterns will change just because it gets dark sooner. feel free to chime in shawn, just thought i would be rude! lol..anyways, as temps. drop the fish start weird behaviors.. the best advice i can give is go, and go often...and move often... once you have pin-pointed them in a different area than your summer spots, take all the variables in consideration... you will figure it out!!! goodluck, rollo

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    That is not rude, this is a group effort. Besides, we are all different and some better and more experienced than others on different subjects. This is the first fall I've fished. I am learning all I can and I'm excited! This is one of the ways I learn. I listen to what others with experience say, then apply my own questions and try to apply some sort of logic to it.

I try to "think like a flathead".... Except apparently I am not that smart! :crazy:

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    shawn if we were as smart as the flathead and thought like them, we would be thinking about dinner like bluegill!!!!!! and hoping our women companions don't smell like carp!!!!! lol

15. avitem1949

avitem1949 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cold, rain, biting or not I'm going to be on the O'shaunasy near the Columbus zoo friday night. Did I say the wife is gone till sunday?? Howard M. Galloway:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

16. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    went fishing with rocking randy.
    down size my bait and was in deep water .
    well we missed alot and i should of had atriple.5 good fish andsoaking wet to thanks for the tip guys

17. crazy cathunter

crazy cathunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    Catsfishrollo is right! The cats are in transition! They are moving from shallow feeding spots to more stable water temps. Which means deep holes with structure , Give them a couple weeks to settle in! I myself fish bank, this is a problem cause guys abuse the hot spots and land owners are tired of the trash they leave behind! Which means when i go there they dont want me there,cause they think i will leave behind garbage and beer bottles and worm containers that i always pickup and put into my trashbag and dispose of myself! You guys are makin it rough for me! and i clean up the sight even if its my trash or not! Come on guys clean up so i can fish there!