Catfish

Discussion in 'BOC Member Cookbook' started by Whistler, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Brian McKee(Brimcowa)

This is a great recipe for the big ones...the trick is that you want a full baking dish but don't squeeze 'em in too much. This will precipitate proper baking and make removal easier!

2 lbs. of the biggest cat fillets you've got (sectioned into serving-size pieces)
    half stick of BUTTER...(there is no substitute)
    2 Vidalia Onions
    1 Jalapeno chopped (after removing all signs of any seeds and pulp)
    juice of two lemons
    a tsp lemon zest
    2 cloves minced garlic (or twenty! depending on taste)
    1 tsp (or more) brown mustard (Guldens,Gray Poupon, Boetjes or similar style...if you've never had Boetje's mustard, you are missing out on one of God's greatest gifts to Man!)
    1 tsp cider vinegar
    1/2 tsp dried cilantro
    salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Coat the bottom of a large baking pan or casserole dish with cooking spray. Salt and pepper fillets and lay evenly in bottom of pan.

To slice Vidalias, cut in half stem to stern, remove tips and then lay halves flat on cutting board and slice very thinly, stem to stern. Over medium/high heat add butter, onions, chopped jalapeno to a skillet and when onion starts to turn opaque, add remaining ingredients and turn to high. Stir once or twice and then, once it comes to a boil remove from heat and pour evenly as possible over fillets. Cover loosely with foil or pizza pan and bake. After ten minutes flake fillets with fork to check for doneness. Serve with tossed salad, Curried rice and hard rolls.

Curried Rice...

1C of rice
    2C of water or chicken stock
    1-2 T butter
    a generous dash of ground thyme
    1/4-1/2 tsp of ground curry
    dash of ground dried ginger
    1tsp garlic salt

In saucepan, melt butter and add rice over high heat. Do not wait for butter to melt completely before adding rice or it will burn and ruin the dish! As rice begins to sizzle and while turning frequently, add the dry spices one at a time to incorporate them evenly for rice to absorb. At this point rice should be slightly opaque and even possibly browning a bit. The smell at this point will be something that you'll wish you could bottle up and sell! Gently add water to avoid getting scalded. Stir until it comes up to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to low and close with a tight-fitting lid. Very important that you do not disturb the rice at this stage. Cook for ten minutes and then turn off heat and let stand for at least five minutes before opening lid! Remember!...Once lid is on do not open until ready to serve!! If you're really good in the kitchen, you can start both dishes at roughly the same time and they should finish at roughly the same time, too!

I turned my kids onto fish with this recipe and they even ask for it for their "Birthday" dinner!

2. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Lonnie Buck(Lbuck99215)

Kind of a Tex-Mex Catfish recipe.
    4 Catfish Fillets cut in half
    1/2 Cup finely crushed tortilla chips
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    2 Tablespoons lime juice
    1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 Cup Salsa or Pico de Gallo
    Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
    Preheat oven to 450. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
    Mix chili powder and tortilla chips in a dish or on wax paper.
    Mix lime juice and oil in another dish.
    Dip fillets in lime and oil mix and dredge in the tortilla chip mix.
    Place on baking pan. Sprinkle with any left over chips.
    Bake 8-10 minutes until crisp and golden. Fish should flake easily.
    Warm salsa over low heat. Serve fish with salsa spooned over it and sprinkle with cilantro.
    Serves 4

3. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Scott Thompson(Bluecatman)

This simple recipe was taught to me by a hotel chef. There's no measurements, just wing it, you can't mess it up. Bake the fillets in a buttered or greased pan at 350 until done. Drain the pan! Mix some mayonaise and parmesan cheese 50-50. Add minced garlic and/or fake crab meat if you desire. Spread the mixture on top of the fillets and put back into oven until the mixture starts to brown. Gourmet treat!

4. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Jim Longcreek(Chuckwagon)

A hearty meal that gets you away (at least for awhile) from all that grease!

1 pound catfish fillets or chunks
    1 onion chopped
    1 green pepper chopped
    2 cans sweet peas
    2 cans cream of celery soup
    salt and pepper
    1 can of ready to cook biscuits
    2 cups shredded cheddar

In big iron skillet, saute the onion and pepper in a small amount of corn oil. Add peas, soup, catfish, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on top of stove for 25 minutes. Flatten biscuits and add cheese, fold over and put on top. Bake uncovered in oven until biscuits are brown. Serve with buttered corn on the cob, iced tea and strawberry shortcake for dessert. Keep fishing!

5. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by James Dishon(Jgdishon)

Place fillets on a piece of aluminum foil, use the squeeze type butter to coat each piece. Then shake out garlic powder and salt/pepper to sute your taste. wrap foil to seal all four corners. Bake in oven at 350 for 10-15 ,minutes or until done. You can also place on coals at camp fire. My kids love it this way and you will to.

6. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Seam Maly(Bluecapri)

6 FILLETS
    1/2 TEA GARLIC POWDER
    1 TEA CAYENNE PEPPER
    1 TEA BLACK PEPPER
    1 TEA SALT
    1 TABLE CRUSHED DRIED THYME LEAVES
    1/2 TEA PAPRIKA
    1 STICK BUTTER
    1/4 CUP DRY WHITE WINE
    AND THE JUICE OF ONE LEMON

Wash fish pat dry set aside combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl. melt the butter in a pan. add the lemon juice and mix well. dip the fillets in the butter mixture. sprinkle the fillets whith spice mixture on both sides.and set aside

when ready to cook,heat a black iron skillet on the stove untill very hot. carfully place the fillets in the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. keep moving the spatula to keep from sticking. when the fillets are cooked, remove them from the skillet.remove the skillet from the burner. por the rest of the butter mixture into the skillet, quickly adding the wine, and stir.pour the pan juices over the fillets and serve immediately

great at the campsite if tote all the ingredients along sean maly i cook this for peaple who dont like fried fish and they usally love it give it a try

7. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Shane Moss(Trad Archer)

1lb. catfish fillets
    1/4 cup milk
    1 egg,beaten
    1 cup corn flake crumbs (crush em up by hand is fine)
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    melted butter (pat or two?)
    Mix up the egg and milk in one bowl, mix the crumbs and cheese in another bowl. Dip fillets in milk mixture then dip into crumb and cheese mixture to coat. Lay fillets in greased baking dish and tuck the thin tail end under so you have a sort of uniform thickness. Drizzle a little melted butter on the fillets and then sprinkle some more crumbs on. Bake in oven @500 degrees for 10 to 15 min. or untill fish flakes easy with a fork. I like to dip mine in melted butter as i eat it and man is it good! Hope yaw like it......shane

[​IMG]

8. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    1 cup milk
    1 egg
    2 to 4 catfish fillets
    1 cup yellow corn meal
    ¼ cup vegetable oil
    ¼ pound scallops
    4 oz. sliced mushrooms
    ½ tsp. Crumbled dried basil
    1 cup room temperature beer

blend milk and egg in small bowl. Dip catfish fillets into the mixture, then roll in corn meal. Heat oil in a large skillet over a medium high heat; fry fillets until cooked to a golden brown on both sides and done all the way trough. Transfer the fillets to a warm platter and keep them warm. Add the scallops to the skillet and cook over medium heat until firm and opaque. Use slotted spoon to place scallops on top of the fillets. Now add the mushrooms to the skillet and salt and pepper to taste and cook until mushrooms are tender. Then add the beer to the skillet cook over high heat until the liquid is almost gone. Spoon the mushrooms on top of the fish and scallops and then enjoy.

9. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Creole sauce:
    ½ cup chopped onion
    ½ cup chopped green pepper
    ½ cup thinly sliced orka
    2 tablespoons margarine
    1 16 oz can of tomatoes diced up and save the juice
    2 tablespoons of tomato paste
    1 cup of tomato juice
    ½ tsp. Salt
    1 ½ tsp sugar
    ground cayenne pepper to taste
    6 catfish fillets
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp crumbled dried tarragon

Heat oven to 375 degrees. To make the Creole sauce in a heavy sauce pan cook the onion, green pepper and okra in the margarine over a medium heat stirring frequently, until onion is tender, add tomatoes and the reserved juice, along with the remaining sauce ingredients. Stir well and heat to boiling then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Season the catfish with garlic, paprika and tarragon. Place fillets on lightly greased cookie sheet and bake until fish flakes when probed with a fork. Pour the sauce over the fillets and enjoy.

10. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Original post by Rex Birt(Catfish156123)

Ingredients;
    Catfish ( clean and prepare the catfish your usually way. But before cooking cut into small bit size pieces )
    mash potatoes (instant)
    Flour ( White flour )
    garlic powder
    Louisiana style hot sauce
    Put same amount of flour and mash potatoes in a bowl add garlic to taste. mix , Then add fish and cover completely. Put your favorite oil in large skillet about 1/4 inche. Drop fish in hot oil and brown on one side turn and put hot sauce on each piece. cook second side and turn over and add hot sauce to second side then turn again to cook the sauce. Use plenty of sauce because the taste will be there but not to much temperature
    Make plenty its great. I even like it cold as a snack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    1 ½ lb catfish
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    ¾ cup bar-b-que sauce

Marinate the catfish in a glass bowl turning the fillets to coat well and keep refrigerated for 30-40 min. Place on a oiled piece of heavy duty aluminum foil covering a broiler pan at 350 for 3-5 mins per side basting with bar-b-que sauce.

12. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Jerry Trew(Jtrew)

Mix cornmeal and grated Parmesan cheese 50/50. Salt & season catfish as usual. Dredge in cornmeal/cheese to coat. Deep fry till done.

How do you know when the grease is hot enough? Drop a couple of kernels of popcorn into the grease. When it pops, the grease is at the proper temperature for cooking fish. (But too hot for french fries.)

13. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Original post by Rex Birt(Catfish156123)

This is a way to fix smaller channel cats:

Clean; skin fish, remove head and inters. wash well.

boil; Boil the fish till it starts to seperate from the bone. Cool and debone. Do NOT mash or grind. Just seperate flesh with fork.

Add; Egg, crackers, and milk mixer to fish so it can still be made into patties.

Frying; fry fish till golden brown and put on a bun. Add tarter sauce or your favorite sauce for fish and enjoy. I like this even to take for a lunch at work.

14. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Michael Strawn(Fordman)

10 filets (1/2 pounders)
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup beer
    Corn meal 2 pounds
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Corn or peanut oil, 1 gallon

Beat eggs and beer together in large bowl. Add fillets and let soak for 15 minutes while oil heats. Heat oil until popcorn kernels will pop quickly in oil. Mix cornmeal, salt and pepper in 1 gallon ziplock bag. Remove fillets from egg mix and put in ziplock bag a couple at a time. Seal bag and shake. Switch fillets from bag to hot oil and cook. Cook until fillets float to top of oil, plus about 1 minute.

[​IMG]

15. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Michael Bright(Catmando_2)

When you catch a nice size cat..fillet it..cut out the red meat from the center of the fillet..now you have 2 strips of good white catfish meat..cut these into vertical strips about 1/2" wide...put in a bowl and add salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste...let them set in the fridge over night..roll in cornmeal or flour and fry...you will not believe the taste..awesome. And..for you that dont like you fish hot dont worry..when you fry the fish it will still have the good taste of the sauce but it is not hot (i promise...) many of my friends do not like hot sauce at all but they love my "Santee Shrimp" Ya see when ya fry them they curl up and have a reddish tent from the hot sauce...Just try it..you'll like it. Or your Money back...lol

16. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Jim Longcreek(Chuckwagon)

I use a big 12 inch iron skillet and it works wonders for fried catfish! All you need for people pleasing fried catfish is that big iron pan half full of PEANUT OIL... salt and pepper the catfish (fillets or whole) roll in cornmeal and wait for the grease to get HOT!! Fry small batches at a time and dont let that PEANUT OIL cool down. You got some "lare-a-pin" eating in store!!!

17. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Jack Leatherwood(Catchaser)

Hi everyone!

Here's a different twist to the normal fry up of catfish!

First, place your cut fillets in a bowl, next squirt a stripe
    or two over each fillet. Next, stick your hands in the bowl
    and mix and toss the filets until all of them look kinda yellow.

Coat with corn meal and drop in the fryer.
    Hey don't knock this one until you try it! Everyone in my
    family, except me, hates mustard BUT they all loved this!!

18. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by R.W. Brown(Mtcatman)

Here is a recipe that we realy like and I thought you folks might also like.

1-cup Italian breads crumbs

2-cups Corn flakes

1- egg and a little milk or butter milk

salt and peper to taste. You can also use any other types of seasonings that you would like.

Cut the catfish up into strips. I like them long.( Don't get them to thick) Dip them into the egg-wash then into the seasoned bread crumbs. Then into the deep frier. fry until done. These are great eating. You can use a tarter sauce with them if you wish. My wife likes it when I make up a sweet and sour sauce for them/ Honey mustard is also good with them. You can also do chicken this way. I use skinned chicken breasts for this. I hope y'll enjoy this one. We sure do here. RW

19. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Jeremy Rich(Cats4uandme)

brother cat eaters try this one. you will not regret it. one of the best i ever cooked. i usually like fried but when i came up with this idea i was hooked. here it is
    1. 2 catfish fillets about 8" long
    2. double a piece of al foil large enough to completly wrap fillets.
    3. 1/2 can cream soup (campbells) mushroom,cheese ect. i like mushroom. sorry tea. condensed on top filets.
    4. place a 1/2 hand full of cooked sliced carrots and some fresh celery in with the mix. also you can add a few chopped onions if desired.
    5. sprinkle a few dashes of salt and pepper on the top. add a dash of parsly .
    6. fold foil over tight and wrap again with new peice.
    7. bake in oven on 350 for 20-30 min and remove. take off outer wrap of foil and open floded doubled foil. add some slice or cube cheese. a good kind that will melt. chedder isn't real good as it is oily and clumps.leave open
    8. place in oven again and broil. watch it close and remove when cheese just begins to brown. season with salt pepper ect... to taste. it is mouth watering good.

20. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    2 cups cornmeal
    ¾ cup all purpose flour
    2 tablespoons chili power
    3 tablespoons garlic power
    ½ tsp salt
    2 tsp pepper
    1 tsp paprika
    4 egg whites
    4 to 6 medium catfish fillets

Heat the oven to 400 degrees and place a wire rack on a cookie sheet and spray with a non-stick cooking oil of choice. Mix in a shallow bowl all the dry ingredients; dip the fillets into the egg whites and coat with the dry ingredients. Place in a single layer on the wire rack and bake until the fillets flak with a fork or about 10 minutes. Great with a long grain wild rice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.