catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by bone3160, Jul 25, 2009.

1. bone3160

bone3160 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Can anyone tell me how to drift fish?I know this sounds stupid but I was just wondering if you use a big cork or on the bottom?

2. bone3160

bone3160 New Member

State:
    South Carolina

3. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm no pro at anything, but I'll give you my take on drifting. First it is a bottom fishing method. The boat is usually moved along by the wind. Some people use drift socks, buckets with holes drilled in them, or even dragging some weight or chain on the bottom to control the speed of the drift. You can use the trolling motor to move the boat into the wind for a controlled speed drift. You can also use your trolling motor if there is no wind to move the boat along. The speed can be checked by using a GPS. I think most people drift along about 1 to 1.5 mph. Any way its pretty slow, but not sitting still. The rods are placed in rod holders either on the rear or side of the boat. Some pontoons drift sideways. The lines are put out at staggered distances to avoid tangling. The sinker or weight is usually a slinky or some other no snag sinker. I make my own and they vary from 3/4 to 1.5 ounces. Next use a good swivel with a 12 to 18 inch leader tied to it. I peg a 2 inch float about 4 or 5 inches from my hook. Play with the weight and float in shallow water or even a swimming pool to find the right set up. Mine are balanced so if the weight hit something its not so heavy that it will not hop over it. I use circle hooks to help keep from getting hung up, and the fish sets the hook himself (no need to jerk). Hook size depends on what you are fishing for. Channels I'd go with a 4/0 or so, blues I'd use a 7/0 or 8/0. Some people even go bigger than that. Bait is pretty much up to you.

Any way that should give you some idea what drifting is. Everybody does things a little bit different and you can always find out what works better for you. The lake I usually fish is not real drift friendly( lots of snags), but I've found place where it is really effective.

There a lot of people that can help you way more than I can, and they will chime in soon. Thanks for posting the thread, I know I'll learn something from it.

4. nick81

nick81 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    he's right on the $$.

5. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Good post " Redneck in a Skiboat" ! When drifting sometimes the fish bite different from week to week. Sometimes they will slam the rod and other times they will hold it down and then go. Sometimes they will hit one time and drop the bait. If you're learning to drift,when they hit just start reeling with it in the holder and you will have a better hook up rate. Somedays they want a slow drift and other days they will hit it when you think you are going to fast. Good luck and you will love it. Go with a guide in your area or bring boat to Santee and you can follow me! P.S. FLATHEADS bite different then BLUES when driftting. A Flathead will make you think you are hung up,so don't be in a hurry to unhang until you know for sure you are.

6. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Good post Thomas,Good info!

7. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I was just sharing some of what other BOC Brothers have shared with me and a few little tweaks made along the way. Thanks to Santeefishhunter for good tip on the flatheads. I hope I haven't broke off on one thinking I was hung up.

8. bone3160

bone3160 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks redneck lot of good info.TY for your time.

9. bone3160

bone3160 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks to you also Santeefishhunter!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. bone3160

bone3160 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thank to you also Santeefishhunter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Any time Steve. I just like to see people catch fish and have fun.