Catfish with teeth - biting bait in half?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Blacky, May 30, 2006.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    While fishing for flathead, I had a strong tug and when I reeled in my bait, the bluegill was cut in half. When I showed it to the guy next to me, he said it was a channel cat and that channel cats can chomp down and bite a very large bluegill in 2. My question is, can a channel or a flathead do that??? There are flatheads and channels to 15lbs here.

2. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I too have had a sunfish ripped in two pieces by a hit. We don't have snapping turtles down here though. Couldn't figure out what happened....

3. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    May have been a Gar or bowfin.

4. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    probably gar ,they are good at doing that

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    No gar, no turtles. I was fishing below a dam and cast my bluegill right into the boils.

6. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like a gar or something to me to though. Im not sure a cat would do that? Sounds kinda weird, but I have never had that happen to me....yet at least.

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey blackie any pike or muskies were you were at

8. catfishman2821

catfishman2821 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Yes I have had it happen to me here in north Florida.But it was a channle cat over 50lbs. what did it. That I later caught on double hook rig I made my self. About two saturday agow I had it happen again to me this time it was a gar. The same night a gaint channle did it again but I caught him with tge second bait I used.:cool2:

9. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Im a little taken by your post saying that it was a 50 lb cat that did it, and that you ended up catching it later. How could you possibly know what kind of fish it was, what it's weight was and that you caught the same fish later?

You got some kind of catfish dna tester or what?

10. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I had a similar experience recently. I was using suckers for bait and I would get a hit, not really a run but when I would reel in the head would be left still hooked through the lips, But the head was crushed........thoroghly.
    Happend 3 times.
    Never did catch him. We dont have lots of gar up in MN.
    I suspect it was a channel.
    thanks
    Larry

11. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Isn't the world record Channelcat about 52#'s??????:0a14: :roll_eyes:

12. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've heard of 50lb flatheads and blues, but a 50lb channel? Maybe we just dont get them that size in illinois. I'm not trying to be mean, but was that the exact weight?

13. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    it says in your profile that your biggest channel cat is 69 lbs!
    Man, they grow them big in Florida!

Did you let it go, or did you eat it?

14. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
  15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Gars also frequent the boils below dams. Stop and look at a cats mouth. It has teeth like sandpaper made to catch and hold its prey before it is swallowed. It's teeth are not designed to shear through flesh and bone, so I doubt any catfish chomps bait into. The mouth of a little one couldn't do it, and the mouth of a big one is just a larger little fishes mouth. I have had them clamp down on my hand while noodling and where they can give you a very irritating skin burn, they cannot bite through my hand. Gars can. I do suspect, although it cannot be proved, that gars are the culprits. next time it happens, replace your bait with a frayed piece of nylon 4 to 6 inches in length. Throw it back in there and it it is gar at work, you'll soon have your proof.

16. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I agree with AWSUCKS on this one. possible gar,cooter,pike.cats just aint equipt to do this.IF the bait was shad or had set long enough to be real soft like, maybe. But I have never had one to bite my bait in half, brim ingeneral,when I use them whole.I have had big hits and reeled in to find the inprint of the cats teeth pattern in my bait or it be half scaled but no bite threws.

17. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I used to fish in the spillway below Sardis Dam in MS, and that place was full of gar that would go up around 15 - 20 pounds. They could easliy cut a bait in half, or shred it up pretty good. Maybe you've got some up there?

18. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    69# Channel, wow. That is all I can say.

19. JohnC

JohnC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would like to see a picture of a channel cat that big. Did you take any? I seen some blue gill shredded but not cut in half.

John

20. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yeah ive seen them the ever elusive sabertooth catfish I here they get up to 69lbs And then the snaggletooth catfish not as big but equally as rare Then the rarest of them all the bucktooth catfishlast seen biting bluegills in half