Catfish with ... Intestines in mouth?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SmellsFishy, Aug 1, 2020.

1. SmellsFishy

SmellsFishy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Name:
    Kevin Rapkoch
    Hey All, so I've been fishing with a buddy who I'm finding to be a pretty lazy fisherman. I've had to help him with gut hooked fish in about 4 out of the last 5 fish he's caught. Last night, we were fishing for channel catfish in city canals, and he landed a catfish... Gut hooked again, small, maybe 1-2 lbs. When I went to inspect the mouth, it looked like it's intestines were coming out of its mouth (not sure about this...this "mass" was firm, but had the appearance of worms/intestines with brown goo oozing out), and the hook was swallowed behind whatever the mass was, I couldn't even see it. We were fishing in about 10-15 feet of water, so I don't think the swim bladder would have been effected (unless it was lacerated by a swallowed hook). Anyway, the fish seemed like it was struggling pretty badly and making odd noises from it's throat, worse than normal when caught... So instead of just clipping the line close to the mouth and releasing, I decided to mercy kill it first and donate it to the canal for other fish to eat. I've felt pretty bad ever since; I hate to cause anything undo pain (fishing in general does this, but that, I've accepted). But in the moment I didn't want the fish to suffer anymore, but in hindsight, maybe it was some normal finding in its mouth and it would have lived a good life. I'm stressing. I also have now preached to my friend to keep a tight line, react faster, and am going to tell him to switch to circle hooks to stop his gut hooking. Any thoughts, reassurances, or advice would be appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Welder, Flat Top and cheapNdisgusting like this.
  2. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Kevin, you only need to list a post in one forum. Almost all of us check all forums so it will not be missed.

tight lines

And thanks for caring.

Welder, SmellsFishy and Flat Top like this.

3. Flat Top

Flat Top Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Kevin; I hunt and fish and I look at game as a gift from the Creator.....so, not to abuse that gift I want to treat all game and fish I take with respect. I hunt and fish only for what I will use, and let everything else walk...or swim away. Normally I only keep one or two eating size cats, the rest go back. If a fish is injured for some reason and returning it would result in death, I keep the fish.....or do as you did if the fish is not of the eating variety (very little is wasted in nature)......but, mostly all fish/fish meat, for the most part, makes good bait or chum, so I try to make a habit of keeping an injured fish and using it for frozen bait. I have also found that the use of circle hooks does limit damage to the catfish and that is why I prefer to use them...I also use barbless hooks a lot...easy on the fish, and easy on me as well. Anyway, I think you did the noble thing, and tell your buddy to get on the stick and do it the right way...not the lazy way!!!

On another note: I had a friend years ago that was a biologist and he told me that animals and fish do not react to pain as humans do, and that "their" pain is not as detrimental to their survival as our pain would be......in other words when we are in severe pain it tends to counter our survival instincts because our thought process allows us to dwell on that pain, yet fish and animals somehow manage to survive through their bouts with injury, unless of course they die. He said the thought processes of game and fish is not as advanced as a humans, and that pain does not wear on their train of thought as it does ours. Even if an animal or fish is injured they try to continue on in survival mode because that is what their thought process is geared for.

Welder, tut, SteveMcK and 1 other person like this.
  4. SmellsFishy

SmellsFishy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Name:
    Kevin Rapkoch
    Thank you for the info! New guy here. I wasn't sure if posting in just my local AZ forum limited me. Thanks again.

Welder and Flat Top like this.
  5. Herbhome

Herbhome Well-Known Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Neill
    Some years ago, a fellow in our deer camp killed a nice buck. When he got to it he found it had been shot with an arrow a long time before. the arrow went through it's neck about midway from the head and slightly above the spine. It was aluminum and had bent way down on both sides. The fletching was gone as was the broadhead. It had completely healed around the shaft. Who knows how long he wore that piece of jewelry, but that fellow kept keeping on.:smile1:

Flat Top, SteveMcK and SmellsFishy like this.
  6. SmellsFishy

SmellsFishy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Name:
    Kevin Rapkoch
    Thanks Flat Top. I appreciated your words and thoughts.

Flat Top likes this.
  7. tut

tut New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Dencie
    well said. fish are here for us eat em when you need to.let the rest go. kill em when you have to.