Catfish with ... Guts in mouth?

Discussion in 'ARIZONA CATFISHING' started by SmellsFishy, Aug 1, 2020.

1. SmellsFishy

SmellsFishy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Name:
    Kevin Rapkoch
    Hey All, so I've been fishing with a buddy who I'm finding to be a pretty lazy fisherman. I've had to help him with gut hooked fish in about 4 out of the last 5 fish he's caught. Last night, we were fishing for channel catfish in the Tempe Canals, and he landed a catfish... Gut hooked again, small, maybe 1-2 lbs. When I went to inspect the mouth, it looked like it's intestines were coming out of its mouth (not sure about this...this "mass" was firm, but had the appearance of worms/intestines/guts with brown goo oozing out), and the hook was swallowed behind whatever the mass was, I couldn't even see it. We were fishing in about 10-15 feet of water, so I don't think the swim bladder would have been effected (unless it was lacerated by a swallowed hook). Anyway, the fish seemed like it was struggling, worse than normal when caught... So instead of just clipping the line close to the mouth and releasing, I decided to mercy kill it and donate it to the canal for other fish to eat. I've felt pretty bad ever since; I hate to cause anything undo pain (fishing in general does this, but that, I've accepted). But in the moment I didn't want the fish to suffer anymore, but in hindsight, maybe it was some normal finding in its mouth and it would have lived a good life. I'm stressing. I also have now preached to my friend to keep a tight line, react faster, and am going to tell him to switch to circle hooks to stop his gut hooking.

Nuclear Bill likes this.
  2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    A lot of people mistakenly think fishing is a lazy man's sport. The thing with lazy people is that some turn whatever they do into a lazy man thing.

If he makes the switch to circles be sure to remind him that having a faster reaction to bites does not apply.

You did the right thing dispatching the fish; turtles have to eat!

...W

Nuclear Bill and SmellsFishy like this.

3. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    No it wasn't Bladder fresher that brought the guts up but rather the hook catching the stomach and being pulled into the mouth when reeling it in.

Get him to use circles if you can. This may still happen some but not nearly as often. Even if while he snoozes the fish swallows the hook, because the point is tucked inward toward the shank, it will often slide right back up and catch in the fishes mouth.

Of course he will only do what he wants to do but I hate to see those fish wasted.

SmellsFishy likes this.
  4. SmellsFishy

SmellsFishy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Name:
    Kevin Rapkoch
    Thanks Metalman. I'll instruct him properly on using circle hooks.