Catfish with a bill

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by jugginman, Jan 3, 2007.

1. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    OK, I have gone up to Grand Lake, caught some of these strange looking fish and cleaning the bloody and I do mean blody things. I have about 75 pounds of meat. Is there a certain way to fix them for cooking? My fishing buddy, was not going to touch them, he said the just did not look rite. :misdoubt:

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    If I have misunderstood your post I apologize in advance but it would seem from what you said that you cut up enough fish to yield 75lbs of meat without knowing if you could actually eat them or not? Mmmm...W

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I think he wants to know how to prepare spoonbill. Never had any before.

4. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have ate it before Metalman, I was just hoping some of these Okies had a better wasy of fixing it than I did. It is a fish with no bones, and just pure white meat. The only problem is cleaning it is like cleaning a hog, blood every where.

5. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    My mother makes it like regular fish, you have to be careful in the cleaning or the meat will be ruined.

6. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I always hang spoonbill by the bill and cut the tail off to let them bleed.
    Next thing of course is to gut it and strip the skin off while it's hanging.
    Also while it is hanging shave off all that greasy fat that covers the entire body of the fish. The fat can be failry thick but it has to come off.
    Next, split the carcass from head to tail into two large fillet's and remove the cartilidge backbone.
    Lastly, slice each fillet into the size portions you want from bitesize (which I prefer) or slabs the size of average catfish fillet's.

As far as cooking I like to soak my spoons in buttermilk for about an hour then dredge them in a flour and cornmeal mixture. When they come out of the grease a light dusting of lemon peper is another of my favorites.

Larry

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    How did you catch the spoonbills?

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    snag them,lots of work but worth it

9. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    And whatever you do, when you clean them, keep the guts. They make awesome catfish bait!

10. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Well, we caught them snaggings, and I really appreciate the help on cleaning, that is a log better than what I did, I did them on a flat table. What a mess, and I did not know to keep the guts. I am not with it. :0a31:

11. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Bobby,

Spoonbill can be very good. Tulcat gave me some last year that we cooked up like we do any other fish and it was great. I wanna try grilling it next time. If you get a chance, you might take a look under the member gatherings thread for one titled OKAM. Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, and Missouri Gathering planned for April up at Grand. Supposed to be a "snaggin" and "juggin" gathering.

While yer at it, go up to the Yellow tool bar and add yerself to the googlemap ME.

12. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I personally love eating just about any type of fish but I really don't care for the taste of spoonbill. I'm careful in getting all the red meat out but to me it still tastes too oily. It does make great cut bait for blues and although I don't eat it I keep one spoonbill each year cutbait for the freezer.

13. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Howdy kyredneck -- Spoonbill catfish are a plankton eater and don't bite a hook. They are sometimes called paddlefish and thought to be prehistoric in age. They eat by pointing their spoon/paddle into the current and opening their gill plates. As the water rushes through their gills plankton gathers on their gills which are more like massive filters. I've watched from overhead while they feed with their mouth and gill plates open and I would swear they could swallow a beachball.
    To fish for spoons a heavy weight is tied to the end of your line with a large trebble hook above it a few feet. The line is cast and using a sweeping motion the line is dragged quickly through the water, the slack is taken up as the rod is pointed back to the casting point. The motion is repeated over and over until the line is retrieved and another cast is then made. If all goes well the trebble will snag a spoonbill during one of the sweeps of the rod and the fight is on. If anyone has never been snagging I would advise going with an experienced snagger (is that a word?) before getting to involved. Snagging can be expensive as well as addictive. I have a nephew who has over $300 in a single rod and reel for snagging.:eek:oooh:

14. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Catfishcentral the fat of a spoonbill is more than just the red meat. The next time you clean one take off a little of the white surface meat, rinse it in clean water and feel the texture. The depth of the fat layer is impossible to see but I've taken off 1/4 inch on the larger spoons. I usually start shaving very thin layers off and watch the texture change once I reach the clean meat. I wish I could explain it better.

15. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I watched Mark clean one yesterday, and when in comes to the fat, if you watch the meat you will be able to tell when you have gone from fat to meat. It you want to see our catch, he has it on the site today:http://grandfishingreport.com/pgs/guides/markspage.htm

Good and safe fishing to all.

16. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    when cleaning them just cut their gills and put them back into the water and their heart will pump all the blood out of their bodies.

be sure to cut all the red meat and fat off them and I hear the best way to cook them is to smoke them in butter and whatever seasonings you like. they're kind of nasty tasting to me when they're fried. it's got a real gamey flavor like shark and their bodies are a lot like shark with a cartlidge skelital structure. sharks have that too and shark tastes even worse to me than spoonies do but they're similar in flavor. it's really loud tasting when you fry them ... kinda like pure catfish redmeat but I'd rather eat a full plate of catfish red meat than spoonbill. most people smoke them that I've visited with about spoonbill. their eggs are really good for caviar too.

17. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    All fish come with bills. Gas bills, insurance bills, repair bills

18. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    My nephew reminded me over the weekend that the spoons should start running in about 3 to 5 weeks. Dang I hope there are a few days warm enough for me to go hang a few.:big_smile:

19. mega34bkw

mega34bkw New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Snagging sounds like it could be a blast, I might get a chance to try it this year. There is so many things I want to get for fishing, with so little money, :sad2: I'm not sure it will happen too soon. So far, I have only seen one dead on the bank.

20. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Last year, I tried slicing the meat thin and frying it like catfish, but the texture just wasn't right... it DID remind me of shark!

When I was contracting on the Texas coast, I fished almost every day, eating my catch for supper and lunch the next day. The blacktip and hammerhead were willing and delicious on the grill. I grilled the paddlefish just like I cooked the shark.

There is enough fat in it to keep the meat from sticking on the smoker. You can marinate the steaks just like a beefsteak overnight with lots of garlic in the sauce. Cook them over a hot fire and serve them up with a good BBQ sauce. A big ear of corn or a bowl of jambalaya is the perfect accompanyment.