Catfish-Why aren't they biting?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Itch2Scratch, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    On this board we have talk about line and hook color and if they affect catfishing. We have talked about the best baits, we have talked about if they bite better during the day or night. We have talked about how water temperature affects them. We have talked about almost everything, now I want to throw something else at ya.

Just supposing catfish are not biting because of polution.....no not what your thinkin'....but noise and chemicals from outboards and jetskis etc. Now wait a minute and don't get ahead of me.:rolleyes:

The lake I live on(Lake of the Ozarks) has huge volumes of traffic on it in the summer and since I fish all the time and watch whats going on around me(don't have anything else better to do):p I wonder if that has an effect on catfish. Think about it, all those sensory receptors all over their bodies. Then think how noise and polution could stop them from biting. What if a Flathead or a Blue Cat could not feel those vibrations or pick up scent in the water put out by bait because of all the engines.

Just maybe those cats bite better at night because of that.;)

What are your thoughts on this??????

2. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    in a high traffic area on a lake they either
    a: move to lower traffic areas if they dont like it
    b: get used it and you'll catch them anyway
    c: they won't bite during the day because of traffic and will instead feed at night

i'm willing to be this could contribute to alot of daytime problems on some lakes .. unless the fish are conditioned and used to it i can see it stopping the bite

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I don't know about the pollution, but the traffic on the lake irritates me, and I'm not in the water..:) Seriously though, I think most of the fish were born there, so they've lived with those conditions since they hatched. I think like anything else, a guy has better chances where there's less people and pressure, but the fish are probably a lot like people. I couldn't hack living in downtown NYC for a lot of the same reasons you mention, but a lot of people do and it's normal to them because it's where they've lived all their life. Probably same for the fish. They adapt to the conditions they live in. Just my thoughts.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I think all the traffic does effect them. Noise just may be why they bite better at nite.

5. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Tank I am just playing devils advocate here but explain how fish relying on vibration to find food can condition themselves to feel the minute vibration of a baitfish over that of an outboard? Again, just trying to get the ol thought process goin here on the board. Your input is very much appreciated.:)

6. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    well in a situation where there is CONSTANT vibration interference they'd have to rely on other means .. lucky for a catfish they have smell receptors they rely on most of the time anyway

i highly doubt an area of the lake no matter how busy is going to have constant traffic however .. therefore in between disturbances they should be able to track fish by vibration to feed .. granted this process will probably be interupted time and time again but you see my point

7. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Thank you for your reply John.:) And yes I see your point, however, I contend that vibrations under water can carry a very long ways thereby not allowing much of that interuption you mention. On the weekend here there is almost no time where there are not several boats or jetskiers in sight as Stolib can tell you. What got me thinking about all this was that I noticed last summer that fishing or should I say catching went way down on weekends compared to the weekdays. As far as how far sound vibrations carry and interfere with fishing would of course depend on depth, shape of the lake and makeup of the bottom and sides I am sure. Wave action and prop wash I believe can stir up the water dispersing oils/gas/and other contaminates to a certain extent also interfering with those smell sensors. Add it all together and you have reasons for a lower catch IMHO.

All I wanted to accomplish through this post was for my brothers and sisters in BOC to think like a fish when picking that time and spot to throw the lines in. Here at least fishing IS better on weekdays and if you have the chance during the week to fish...don't pass it up, your luck may improve.

8. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i am sure the traffic interfers with fishing but the main difference is night or day. when i was a kid there were no large rivers near home. i walked to fish the creeks and small rivers near by. during the day i caught bass and bream but if i wanted catfish i had to stay till night. there was no boat traffic on these streams to interfere.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ken,
    How about this: The forage fish (catfish food) are programmed to avoid predators. Big shadows and dark shapes are things that spook them. Noise from outboards and prop turbulence would prevent them from detecting predators thus making them more vunerable. Is it therfore possible that it's the bait fish running and hiding and the cats following that slows or kills the bite because we are simply fishing in areas where there are no fish. Perhaps that would explain why the bite improves during the week; the bait fish and catfish return to the places we are fishing. There is a local lake I fish where the boat traffic is crazy and all of my success has been by fishing in the backs of bays and tight up to deep steep shorelines. I targeted these areas in the first place out of desperation because of the battering I was getting from all the high speed boat traffic out in the lake but I have also fished the main body of the lake on quiet, rainy, mid-week days when there has been practically no boats around and still the fishing is tough. I think once the fish (bait and cats) get acclimated to the quieter places they probably stay there or close to it most of the summer. In the fall when the boaters all leave, drift fishing the main part of the lake produces good fishing probably because the bait fish have moved back out into the lake. Just a few thoughts...W

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Winston it sure sounds plausable to me, not having a boat to see what you see handicaps me. But the bottom line is still the BOC members need to take when they fish and where to fish into consideration due to all the activity on lakes these days. Appreciate the input.:)

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Ken, I don't know if you have heard or not, but it has been discussed here before. When a large boat or barge passes on the Ohio that is the times the fish bite is the best. With this said, and your theory stated, why with the amount of interruption that a barge can make do the fish bite better? Just something to ponder. I think it is because with that amount of current disruption and the wake moving the bait and scent around the fish tend to find it better. Also I have observed this phenomenom the same in shallow water as well as deep. Just my .02 cents worth. Vern

12. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Hey everyone, I think Metalman probably hit the nail on the head about the fishing problems on this lake....the polution garbage is just that...exhaustion induced drivel...I only get a decent nights sleep about once every 10-14 days which I am now approaching due to bad knees, two bad shoulders and a sinus problem. Maybe tonight will be the night....I will try to keep my keyboard pushed in until such time I do get sleep and have a clear mind. To all members of BOC I apologize for this thread.