Catfish - which species are best edible?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by irishpride42, Jun 1, 2007.

1. irishpride42

irishpride42 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok just wanted to get yalls opinion on what your favorite types of cats to eat are. Mine personally are 5-9# channels deep fried with a cajun batter. Also, I have heard mixed reports on bullheads and was curious as to if any of your enjoyed the taste of them or is you even ate them.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    dont like bullheads or channels that big.
    i like my channels around 15"
    my fav is flatheads, they r the best to eat for me

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've eaten bullheads, but don't really care for them. While I personally occasionally like to cook some small channels whole, the rest of my family won't eat them that way. So, almost all the fish we eat are boneless fillets. A fillet off too small a cat won't cook properly, so I want my fish to be at least 1#-1.5#, and preferably no more than 10#. Of course, if I'm out of fish, and it's a matter of eating a fish larger than that or doing without...well, it's just too bad for the fish.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like my catfish to be skillet size. I am told that flatheads no matter how big they are are a delight to one's tastebuds.Unfortuantly I still have that huge flattie to catch they seem to be rather elusive when I'm fishing. I have tasted the big Channels and Blues and they just don't have that good a flavor to me.So I choose to CPR Catch Photo Release any big ones that I might catch in the future! Thanks for asking!:smile2:

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I like channels 2-5 lbs the best. I CPR all else.

6. mudfarmer

mudfarmer New Member

State:
    Texoma
    guess i'm the odd man out. i prefer blues over channels,but keep your fingers away from my face cuz i'll eat em all.

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I think it depends on what waters they come from and what they have been eating. Here at Truman I prefer to eat the Blues best. They are really clean and snow white meat. To me the channels get fatty and the flatheads do also. I like to keep the bluecats we catch during the winter as they seem to be the cleanest.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Blues that are cleaned right and cooked right are hard to beat:tounge_out:.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I aint got to size, as long as it big enough to fillet.

10. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i like channels (just cuz its easy to catch more of em) about 1ib to id say about 8ib's

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't care for channelcat much at all anymore. I will eat them, but they are not my favorite. Flathead is my fav catfish to eat, closely followed by bluecat. Bullheads, in my opinion, make great bait but not table fare. Take a tiny catfish, put it on a hook, and catch a bigger catfish that is worth the time it takes to dress it. JMHO.

12. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    When it comes to catfish, i eat whatever's biting best. haha. I don't keep anything real big tho.

13. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    I like'em all DEEPFRIED!!!!!!!!!!

14. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Im sticking with bullheads the ones I caught up in canada at our cabin were to die for. It seemed they had a sweet taste to them. Kinda like God made them special just for us :smile2:

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I guess I'm an odd ball but my favorite is the good ol yellowbelly or bull head. Cut head off ,clean roll in favorite ingred and throw in hot grease.when done just peal the meat off the bones.Sec is the Flathead.

16. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Flatheads are my fav, but I will keep small blues and channels. I throw every thing back thats much over 5 lbs. I like the small ones to eat, and the biggun's to catch.

17. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I'm with Troy and the other blues brothers :big_smile:..... and I agree with everything he's said here. Guess I'd pick flatheads second, and I'll eat a channel cat if I have to :wink:. Never tried a bullhead myself.

18. silsbyj

silsbyj New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like em all. Cubed, dipped in batter and fried is the only way to go. I do usually take the larger cats I keep and let them swim in some clean water for a while. The rivers here in Kansas are pretty muddy and that can make the meat taste a little wierd.

19. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Never tried bullheads, but everything else is my favorite. Ive gut hooked big ones and had to eat them and they were just as good as the small ones. Catfish is just good to eat.

20. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I like all catfish. I like the small size the best. 1 1/2-5#