Catfish vs Shark

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by pendog66, Jan 31, 2006.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Over the summer i did some shark fishing like i've done for the last 5 years while going down to the beach. but up until this year i didnt realize there was a fish that could rival a shark fight. A Blue cat of Flathead take you pick, they both love bloody bait and are furocious hitters never stopping. And now i find myself arguing with my buddy Will that Catfish are better fighters and he claims sharks are. I think they are both equal but i can only fish for sharks 2 weeks a year. But i have 3 to 4 months of nailing flathead, so me choice are catfish

2. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Thats a tuff one. I've caught both shark and cats but i've caught more big sharks than big catfish. I'd have to say lb for lb a catfish fights more.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    They are both awesome fish, that are very similiar IMO. It is tough, I really dont know......but overall catfish is my favorite over sharks I guess.:rolleyes:

4. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Hey Nate where do you go saltfishing at?

5. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    are there sharks on the river LOL

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I dont know about that! I guess it depends on the shark! I have never seen a catfish as big as my boat! I have seen sharks that big and have had them destroy a 9/0 hook and make a penn reel hot to touch! You all watch "Shark Hunters" on tv? Those sharks are huge and powerful and so is the gear! They donot use Ugly sticks and 6500's to catch them! Shark gets my vote!

7. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
  8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, that is true. I guess it's just the whole idea of catfishing and the challenge of them that makes me prefer them. I like them about the same as sharks but just prefer catfish a little bit more.:) I dont know though....it's a tough descision....:rolleyes:

9. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    ive never caught a shark, sure wish i could though. i do know one thing, ive never met a freshwater fish to rival the fight of a big cat. and ive never even caught the infamous flathead, which i hear fights the best of 'em all. that would be one heck of an experience to land one of those big sharks like on tv. if i get some heavier tackle, and a trip to the beach, i might try my hand at sharks. itd probaly be better to charter a boat on second thought-i probably wouldnt know what im doin! lol

10. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I haven't caught a HUGE catfish yet so I really can't compare but I can't imagine it being better than tying in to a big ol Mako. Don't get me wrong I would rather catch a 70lb + cat but I can't see how it could have more fight.

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i fish at my familys beach house in Emerald Isle N.C the largest we caught was a 11fter that took 3 hours to bring in, we were about dead when we brought it in

12. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Well I have caught many sharks and love to fish for them any chance I get. I have hung into a 48 lb flathead and he gave a good fight lasting about 15 minutes or so on 12lb line. But I have never had a cat fight for over 45 minutes on a Penn Jigmaster 500 with 30 lb line. But then again I have never caught a catfish over 50 lbs. Pound for pound it would be close but I would have to say a Tiger shark will win that one as I have had them along side the boat only to see the mate miss them with the gaff’s and have them rip 400 yards of 130lb mono off a Penn 16/0 senator like nothing. But on a Jigmaster 500 with 30lb line a Sandbar shark running about 100 lbs will rip off almost 300 yards on there first run and that is when fishing turns from fun to work.

13. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH

But think if there was a flathead or blue that is the size of your boat imagine the fight you have with that Cat im guessing they would also destroy 9/0 hook and make the reel too hot to touch

14. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    Have ya all seen that huge Mae Kong Catfish caught in Tailand. I think that one was in the 600 pound range. Now thats a cat.

15. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    yeah those catfish are huge, but then again they caught that cat in a net

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I remember getting into small hammerheads and big hardheads one day; they all ran around 4 or 5 pounds in size. I can't remember there being much difference in their fighting ability; 3 of us in a boat must have caught 75-100 total.

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Cats don't eat the boat.Sharks do!There are very few sharks left in the water now days.In the 50,s,sport or comerical,you could hardly fish because of sharks.Most of what you boated were heads.Shrimpers and trawlers had the bags bitten out of there nets,along with the catch.All that PRETTY FUZZY STUFF you see on the shrimp nets are to give a shark,a mouth full of nothing,instead of their catch.Sharks and cats are fish,just as crows and hawks are birds,but that is as close as you are going to git.Head boats spent most of their time moving,running from the sharks.You were not allowed to bring a shark on board,as they hurt and maimed people.Most older people who fished in spite of the sharks,would never even think of compareing them and cats in any way.I love my cats,but they ain;t no shark.I guess it is great that people think the way they do now.It means that you can go down to the salt and catch a fish,without fighting a shark for it.Back when there were sharks,I never even heard of such a thought.If you had many sharks in freshwater,there might not be any cats.I think personal experience,is what forms most of our opinions.That is why we change them as we learn.To be able to learn,is a wonderful gift.To lose it is awful.I am learning how awful.peewee-williams

18. Carwash

Carwash New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've caught many sharks over the past 20 years and many large cats including the red catfish in Brazil. I personally think the shark has more kick like all salt water fish do. A 60 lb shark is a battle! There is one shark that compares to a big flathead and that is a sand shark. The catch is about the same. Tigers, maykos, blacktips and spinners are tough and fast fish. You cannot put a shark in the boat without disaster. The blacktips have really come on strong in the gulf over the past 5 years. You can catch untill your arm falls off. For most of us that live around fresh water the old standby cat is as good as it gets.

19. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    great posts Peewee and Carwash :0a31:

20. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Yep, that about sums it up! I just want to add that a flathead wont eat you after he pulls you in the water and I bet you wont hear of anyone "noodleing sharks"!