Catfish vs Bass Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigCat72, Jun 13, 2006.

1. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I wanted to see what everyone thinks on this, I have always been told by my bass fishing buddies how easy it is to catfish and how dumb catfish are, how they just eat anything that floats by like bait or garbage, and how smart the bass are, and that it is a harder challenge :lol: I guess they havent been flat head fishing much. Id much rather fish for the dumb catfish which eats the smart bass :lol:

2. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    Not sure which one of those is smarter, but the "smartest" as far as problem solving is the common carp.!

3. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    bass fisherman dont like catfishing because they might get dirty.....or catch a big fish.......

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have to disagree with you BigCat. I have tried cut bass, live bass, and even stinking bass, and I have yet to get a catfish to bite one. So I draw the conclusion that it is not good enough for a flat headed catfish, then it is not good enough for me.

Any way, bass fishermen just sit all day chucking baits and sit all night telling lies. And it kills them that cat fisherman doses not have to have a 30k boat to catch big fish.

5. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Plus bass fisherman seem to spend way to much money on the next newest artificial lure that is "guarnteed" to catch them more bass. Well listen here buddy give me a pole couple sinkers maybe some hooks and i'll find the bait and we'll see who's got the glory at the end of the day. Sorry...I got into an arguement at a local lake recently over this...I need to calm down a little:embarassed:

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    This seems to hold true, yes.

Now see, I can prove to you that catfish aren't stupid. How often do bass snag you up on logs that are around? Now how often does a catfish? 99% of the people are going to say they get snagged up a lot more by catfish. This is because the catfish knows what to do. He feels something hurting him, he hides. The bass just gets confused and runs away. And bass are boring looking fish too. Not supposed to be an especially good table fare either. Perhaps there was a reason that at one time black bass were considered a trash fish... Just a speculation though :tounge_out:

And flatheads do NOT eat garbage. Its rare to get them to bite even on fresh cutbait (or at least a lot less rare to get them to bite on live bait). And it isnt easy to catch catfish. It just seems like it to them because they dont see us waving our arms back and forth to cast like a bunch of albatrosses all the time :smile2:

7. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think this is a lot like comparing apples to oranges.

I usually use pretty cheap lures for bass (lately it's been plastic worms), so for me the bass fishing has actually been cheaper.

Never had a boat for either type of fishing.

I have caught quite a few bass while I was catfishing (using live and cut bluegill). Which fish will eat anything? Heck, my great grandpa caught one on a piece of cigarrette package.

The bass I have caught usually head for cover the same way cats will. If no cover is really close by they head for deep water, same as cats.

Big bass eat small cats and big cats eat small bass. Both are predator fish that are vulnerable to larger predators. That leaves the cats on top since they get bigger.

Catfishing for the trophies is usually with tougher tackle than fishig for trophy bass. The heaviest line a bass fisherman will usually use is 20#, and that's when fishing in heavy cover.

Yes I fish for both, though given the choice I will probably have two poles out for cats and one in hand for bass.

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    This is another one of them threads that dont deserve the time spent to type anything. This kinda of thread and mentality is what causes problems between members here and shows to me just how inmature some people can be. FISHING is fishing be it bass cats perch etc. Grow up guys quit doing the my brother is bigger then yours crap.

9. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Once a long time ago I was a tournament fisherman "Bass." One day after working 21 days in a row 12 hours a day with a two hour commute on both ends each day, I caught myself wondering what the "Heck" I was doing rushing around getting a $10,000.00 boat and a $5,000.00 pickup loaded before heading off for a very long drive to Table Rock to fish a tournament that I think would have paid $150.00 "if" I won. See those prices, you can tell how long ago it's been. I stopped, took all but two bass rods and a small tackle box out of the truck, put my "CAT FISHING" equipment in and NEVER looked back. I haven't fished a bass "event" since. I occasionally will fish the muskey tournament on Pomme de Terre and an occasional catfish tournament locally. I've noticed on several occasions bass fiher"person" seem to exude what they think is thier superiority, NOT all, but many. I seriously doubt they enjoy thier sport more than catfisher"persons." I will give them one thing, most have a "prettier" boat than mine, but beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. My question is why would anyone want to catch a fish that averages 2.5 pounds with a rod so stiff it could be used for a broom and line you could tow the QE II with?? Interllectual level for both fish are about the same, some are like humans, but I won't go there. Enjoy the sport for it's own rewards whatever they maybe. I will occassionally throw a bass lure and occasionally catch a few I immediately return them to the water, afterall there is some guy out there wanting to catch that fish that is going to pay him $150.00 ""IF."" Speaking of money I think a catfish tournament had the highest pay out in history a year or two ago for ANY fresh water fishing tournament.

10. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I like to hook into a bass when bluegill fishing on ultralight but to me they just aint no fun...because their trophy wallmount is are bait.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I give the serious bass fisherman alot of credit.
    Its not everybody with the stamina and patience it takes to stand on the bow of a boat all day.
    I've done it and know what it takes. Unfortunately my line of work hasnt taken care of my still young body so well and I am unable to do that and manage to work.

I chased bass and still do at times like this coming weekend and there was a time I seriously chased them. I lived , breathed, and slept to bass fish and with good reason.
    Bass fishing is a serious mind game of patience, knowledge, and patterning.
    That is bass fishing. The sport of bass fishing isnt always how many you caught or how large you caught, its what you learned and the enjoyment you got out of it.
    Seems real familiar doesn't it?
    I came into taking my catfishing seriously with the knowledge I learned chasing other species and never missed a beat.
    I use the same knots, basicly the same reels, and the same Carolina Rig I used bass fishing.
    I got alot of enjoyment out of bass fishing while I was able to go at it like I wanted to but lives change and so do the people in your life.
    My priorities and physical abilities changed to the point that the catfishing I've always enjoyed over the years has become my mainstay.
    I can sit in my chair or snooze in the boat with lines out with little physical activity until I get a run.

A kudos to the guys that can stand on the bow, chunk all day and compete in one of the biggest mental challenging sports in the sport of fishing. I wish I still could. I still get after them occasionally here on the farm but my mode of operation has changed a little.

The key to fishing is having fun and enjoying fishing.
    The species you go after makes no difference at the end of the day because regardless you are still a fisherman.

12. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I agree with Merle, it doesn't matter what you fish for. I got all the bass tackle, all the crappie stuff, and the catfish stuff. I threw out two poles today for cats, one for whatever and then my ultra-light with lures for whatever also. Sometimes it's a bass or a bluegill or some other fish, don't matter as long as I am (FISHING), now that's the secret word.

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Most of My fishing lately has been for catfish, but in short if it swims and eats I want to catch it!!!!

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    My thought exactly. What ever bites and puts up a fight!

15. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    im a FISHerman, i fish for everything but big cats are my favorite!

16. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well let me add this 3 weeks ago I got a call from a bass guy who was looking for someone to show him the river. The river where I guide for catfish is one of the top bass river maybe on the east coast. He is new to Maryland so he booked a trip with me to see the river. Well when we got to the river 4 of his buddys with also bass guys was at the ramp with there boats. As you know he got a hard time from them for paying someone to catch catfish.
    They talked on the cell phone most all day seems they was going to try and outfish us for cats. The hole time I was alittle upset as they seem to follow us most of the day. So i stay away from the realy good holesdidnt like giving to much away for free. But as the day went on they was asking with bait we was catching our fish on well all that takes is money for me to tell.
    When the trip was over his buddys had 3 cats around 2 to 3 lbs each for for guys.
    We got to the ramp with 28 eaters and pic's of 5 blues over 20 lbs he had 4 and his wife had a nice 22lber. So here soon i have 3 more bass guys to take out and show them how to catch them easy to cath catfish. O ya one more thing the bass guy and his wife i had out are now ACATS members and will be fishing our next tournament for CATFISH he will be a boc member here soon as well.

17. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    this is " the brotherhood of catfishermen" not bassfishermen. why are we even wasting time discussing the "b" word? there are a million sites devoted to this inferior species, so what gives. anybody who has ever caught a cat and a bass of comparable size knows which one fights harder and as far as which one is smarter..... they're fish. neither one is smart they are instinctive they do not process thought. they have very small brains that do not allow them to do this. o.k. nuf said. peace.

18. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    So your saying that the other members here that do fish for other spiecies shouldnt be here on this site then? I just am trying to see where you stand. If that is the case then paul should remove the bass section the trout section and the rest. Then anyone who fishes multi spieces should go else wheres?

19. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    That is one of the most intelligent responses to a "controversial" subject on this board I have ever seen written. I couldn't agree more!

20. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I agree with you drc3 but it boils down to it shouldnt be controversial at all a lot of people here do multi spiecies fishing its all the same fishing and people with this closed minded childish mentality that go around saying people who fish for bass are low lifes and other names I have seen here on the site is just plane dumb and is no call for it. Thing that gets me is they wonder why other fishermen of other spieces dont have respect for these types well its simple they dont deserve it all becasue of thier lack of respect for others.