Catfish Venomous Spines

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ace, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Catfish use their venomous spines for defense only. When a catfish gets agitated, it extends its spines, locks them in place and waits. A frightened catfish strikes when a predator, including a human hand, comes within range.

Catfish Sting Treatment

Stings usually occur when the fish is handled. Symptoms include a throbbing
    or scalding pain lasting 30-60 minutes. Immersing the affected area in water as hot as is tolerable usually relieves pain from a sting.

Spines should be removed with tweezers.

The wound should be scrubbed and irrigated with fresh water.

The wound should not be taped or sewn together.

If you know of any other Treatment please reply.

:waaaht:

:misdoubt:

:0a30:

:cat:

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Thansk for some more good info Ace.

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Don't buy into the one of rubbing the belly of the catfish on the wound to stop the pain, doesn't work. Tried it twice last weekend and if any thing it added to the essence. Best treatment I know is once stuck immediately shake the wounded hand over your head like a super mad monkey and it doesn't hurt to make the mad monkey noise also. Once initial shaking is done wash wound immediately in any thing that doesn't have fish in or on it, lake water will do but beer, coke or tea is also OK. Next step is the sympathy step and that requires you to hold the wounded hand close to upper body with your other hand (assuming you didn't get both hands stuck) grip wounded hand tightly at the wrist like your trying to cut off the blood and while rocking slowly back and forth moan and suck air through your teeth. This step should be done loudly if no one in the boat seems to give a hoot but if others are showing concern do this quietly and try to be as pathetic as possible. After these steps are done and every one is back to fishing an occasional moan refreshes their memories and might get one of them to bait your hook. This was taught to me by my brother in law who is the only person I have ever seen levitate a 3lb catfish in mid-air by sticking the spine so far in his hand it just hung there. Yelps were louder, by the way, when the fish would flop wildly and bleed, he bled like a stuck hog. Funny stuff that guy comes up with. lol

4. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Thanx for the advice ya'all. I never thought being stuck was that bad tho. Maybe I haven't had it bad enough yet...

5. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Gonna sound gross guys, but my dad always taught me to put chewing tobacco on it and press for about 5 minutes. The tobacco draws out all the slime and reduces the pain. It has worked for me and I second the motion that the belly rub is a load of crap. Been there and done it.

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I've heard about this one before from a buddy of mine but I thought he was messing around...Hopefully I wont have to test it out any time soon. I havent been finned in quite a while. Now that I said that, I,ve probably jinxed myself:roll_eyes: .

7. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Unfortunately TA2D can relate to your brothers pain. The very same thing happened to him. The catfish was just stuck in his hand, and man let me tell you that was a big hole in his palm.

SudDawg

8. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have also tried the shaking of the hand like a mad monkey and it seems to work quite well LOL!!

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Do channels and blues have venomous spines? I dont think I have ever been stung like that? I've been hit with a big ol' channels big blunt spines in it's pectoral fins but the bigger they get the more dull they usually are. I didn't even know that they carried poison!-- I'd better be careful huh?-- :embarassed:

10. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    All catfish have venomous spines.
    The small ones are the ones to get you they are hard to hold on to.But the big ones will cut you with the back of these spines also.Next time you catch a catfish check out the back side of the spines.

:waaaht:

:cat:

11. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I never had one stuck to deeply in my hand, although I have had several pokes and cuts, the worst though was when I triped in the boat trying to help the old woman and steped on one,MAN i NEVER had any thing hurt so bad,and rubbing the fish on the wound, that IS B/S, I'am going to get some of the bee sting stuff, thanks wolf.

12. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    The chewed tobbaco works because the saliva in it breaks down the protiens in the venom. Meat tenderizer will do the same thing. Don't forget to disinfect the area with peroxide, alcohol, or something. I carry those little alcohol wipes in the tackle bag and first aid kit in the boat.
    I too use the monkey trick but i add a lot of cussing. I thought i was the only one that danced on a catfish. getting stuck in the hand is bad , but for real good time try your instep. That way everytime you walk you get to relive the experience.

13. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    From Grumpy's Link:

Myth: Catfish Have Poison That Moves Through Their Spines And Infects Careless Fisherman.

No poison gland or other source of poison exists in the catfish, though a few related fish possess them. A small catfish called a madtom or "willow cat" has venom that can be painful. Bullheads and catfish have stiff, sharp pectoral and dorsal spines with no venom. Get stabbed by these spines and the wound can be painful for the same reason any puncture wound hurts-puncture wounds often become infected. Venom isnt involved!

Conflicting data from the Wilderness Medical Society:I can vouch for the sting of a Madtom! I catch them occasionally in the river sloughs. They only have to rub their spines against your skin and you'll get a sharp stinging pain. Takes days for the swelling to go down and leaves a mark for months. I've been "stung" by channels and bullheads also, but nothing like a madtom.

14. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    When handling bullheads for bait get stuck, a lot ,
    I use bleach to wash my hands as soon as possible works for me..
    Jim

15. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Beeheck, Loved your post. Only those who have been stuck good by a fin can relate to your post. I have some sting eze I got from Walmart, and never opened, might try it if it every happens to me or someone I am with again. It is a good idea for everyone to carry a first aid kit on their boats, with alcohol wipes, and some peroxide,neosporin, and bandaids (the cloth type that sticks good) . I got it good once, tried the ole rub it on the belly trick too, no luck there. I put a wad of chew on it and it eased off, but not a quick remedy. I put a pair of cutters on the fins before I handle them now. Good fishin', Jack.

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Those lil' "Stonecaddies" (thats a local term for madtoms) have spines not unlike a hypadermic needle! Very sharp and hurts alot on fingers! Used to catch buckets of em but I think they're protected now here.

17. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with Beeheck and Georgiajack, :smile2: but I don’t just rub the belly. I buried a thorn in my foot when I was a young kid, thought it would rot off. An old man who fished trotlines for a living told me during that time to rub the ‘slime’ into the wound. I’ve done so faithfully for nearly 50 years, and without fail it has worked. The best source of slime is along the sides of the fish. I work it into the wound well, later when I get home, clean it with peroxide. It seldom does more than maybe turn a little red for a day or two.
    Several years ago, I managed to bury the fin of a saltwater cat completely into my upper thigh, such that my partner had to pull it out, after I confirmed that it missed vital body parts. I rubbed the slime in, cleaned it when I got home, and it healed up over the next couple of weeks without a problem at all. Very painful, but no infection or swelling.

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The best thing to do is pour Jack Daniels on the wound then set it on fire.Guaranteed to take your mind off the sting.Proceed while the flames are still going with BEECHECKS monkey dance.I have to agree with TOMMY on this one.I catch lots of small blues and channels when fishing for bait at Santee and get "Stung" regularly.Each time I simply rub some slime from the fish on the sting and it stops almost immediately.Now having said that I have never been directly PUNCTURED with a spine as many of you have.I dont think I would want to rub any slime into a puncture wound.For the minor scrape ,usually between fingers, that I get the slime has worked extremely well.I don't think Flatheads have the same kind of spines as the other fish ,at least I have never been finned by a flat.Their spines seem to be soft.In case you get a jelly fish sting as happened to my son this weekend D'Anjous meat tenderizer will fix that for you immediately.I believe there is Papaya in it and it neutralizes the jellyfish venom by breaking it down.Be safe!:smile2:

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you get spined, tough it out! for get about it. When I was a kid and cut my finger it would hurt like (well you know) until I forgot about it playing. Then I would notice the cut and it would start all over again. I have learned just to ignore the pain. Pain is natures way of telling you something is wrong and needs attention. Once you give it the required attention, there is no more need for pain. You jerk back, cuss a little bit, then go back to fishing. It's all in your head after that. If you whine about it then it will hurt all night. Ya bunch of sissy's! :0a10: lol