Catfish: use fishfinders or old-timer ways?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BIGCAT DADDY 71, Mar 1, 2006.

1. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    In This New Age Of Fishing It Seems All Electronics. I'am 35 Years Old, Youngest Of Four Boys And I Fishing Family. I Consider Myself Oldschool The Way I've Been Showed Fishing. I Still Dont Use Electronics And Thinking Of Trying A Fishfinder This Year, But Like My Dad Always Said, If Things Are Working Dont Fix Them. Would Like Feedback On Electronic, Is It Just Money Or The Real Deal To Finding Fish. Thanks,bigcat Daddy 71.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Depthfinders are good for showing you schools of fish, isolated fish, and structure. From there you have to use that information to figure out how to catch the fish.

I use mine primarily as depth indicator, and this allows me to identify river channels, humps, holes, etc. Once you learn a river or lake with a depthfinder you will never look at the water the same. You will see it with the contours and not just as an evenly sloping bottom.

Some people say they fish specific fish that they see on a depthfinder, well...I would like to see that done.

As for all the GPS stuff, that is taking it to the next level. I do not have all the GPS info, but I can see how I would use it to my benefit.

As for the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"; nothing broke, just making it all run better!!!

3. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Electronics:

BIGCAT DADDY 71 Fish finders are just a tool that you need to locate your fish, it is the same to me that if I was a carpenter and went to work without my hammer. I have posted on this subject more then once on this board.

I feel if your going to buy a fishing boat and then go out and purchase a Fish Finder and spend $50.00 to $150.00 then you will get most of the time what you pay for. But one thing you need to remember, fish love structure !! now any fish finder can find you structure. so now you got the battle half way beaten.

But if you want to really look at the fish and try and target fish then your going to have to get up in the 4000 watt and 480X480 Pixels. This is very important with me. If I go out fishing and back the boat into the water and my fish finder does not work, I want to go home !! I depend on it so much that I catch myself on other peoples boat watching theres all the time.

All fishermen need the tools to catch fish, I don't care if its a boat, or bank fishing, we need our tools.

Bank fishermen spends hours trying to find structure along the inside of a bend for Flatheads in the summer time, they get nice rod holders for the bank and get rods that can whip out the bait 1 mile.
    On the other hand as Boats they go get the fish finders , nice rod holders and nice short rods to work on there boats.

To be honest with you, I will always have a fish finder running in my boat, I target most of the fish we catch and I am 100% sure of it now, and that just wants me to keep buying better fish finders.

They work ! and it don't happen over night, to learn them it will take you a good year, or more time spent fishing to learn your fish finder, but once you got it mastered, you will see what I am saying is 100%. Good Luck

4. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I don't go fishing without my Hummingbird Matrix 37 on my boat. I use it in a similar manner as DeerHunter101. Plus I use it to find structure I have placed in the lake. Most of the structure would be hard to find without a fishfinder and a GPS unit.
    I use GPS to mark areas where I have had good luck so I can return to them and to find stucture I have placed in the lake. My lake is too small to need GPS to be able to return to where I launch my boat but I sometimes fish an 11,000 acre reservoir where a GPS is a big help.
    The way I see it, we are living in 2006, why not use 2006 technology?

5. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I agree. Using a fishfinder as a tool for finding structure is almost a must. I even bought a hummingbird smartcast before I bought my boat.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Wylie,
    It can be done! I have set up over big flatheads that I have marked suspended over creek channels and caught them. No B.S. ...W

7. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I have my views on them,but NO one on this board wants to hear them.LOL I've fished all my life without one and have no problem catching fish,case closed.

8. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Yes sir it can be done & it's done more then you will ever know. I've seen guy's use them to clean out whole schools of fish by tracking the schools.

9. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Swampy your forgetting your on the BOC and 99.5% of the people here catch and release all that statement is going to do is get people on here that catch and release all worked up. You might see that with Walleye or maybe striper's but I am not so sure you will see that with catfish, and if they did remove them all how did you find out they wiped them out without a fish finder telling you they were all gone ??

Most of these guys on this board would not even think of cleaning out a hole , I for one and I have met alot of people on this site and I can't think of any of them that would be called a fish hog. JMO guys

10. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    DH,
    We sure don't agree on fish finders,do we?LOL Well I don't know about others on this board but that's JMO on them. As to how I know without using a fish finder is by watching boats & hearing guy's come right out and saying they lost the school or cleaned them out. I've seen it done with lots of other types of fish more often then catfish. Don't get your panties in a bunch over this whole Fish finder thing,I'm just stating MO on them.

11. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Bigcat.... I think the combination of new age & old school works best for me.One hand washes the other.

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    As a rookie boat-owner & catfisherman, I use my fishfinder primarily to locate structure. I like to fish around drop-offs & ledges, and the electronics really help with that, especially when I'm on unfamiliar water. Saves me a lot of time in locating the best spots to fish.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Metalman,I would say you set up over a good arch that you THOUGHT was a flathead,might have been a flathead could have been a flathead,but you didn't know it was a flathead until it came over the side.The worst thing that happened to electronics was the switch in name from depthfinder to fish finder.Knowing the fish and how they relate to structure and bait is very important.Having something to show you humps ,channels,edges,brushpiles,etc etc is more important to me than actually seeing the arches. Seeing bait on structure that I know by EXPERIENCE holds the type of fish I'm looking for is FAR more important to me than seeing the arch.On the other hand I'm also like Swampy in that I believe I can evaluate any body of water and after 50 years of fishing find and catch fish without any electronics at all.They are tools that make the job easier.Can you start a fire by rubbing two sticks together,you bet!;) Can you do it quicker with matches ,lighter or flame thrower?Right Again!:p Choce is yours.:) :cool:

14. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    DH is right if you are not going to buy a good one then don't waste your money;) I started with a hummingbird,then a Garmin.After I got a good one my catching has went way up/and bigger fish.Sometimes just marking a good spot without realy seeing fish is all it takes.I believe in mine!!!!! Good luck:)

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Well, I went out and bought me a Lowrance X135 just because Deerhunter had one. He seems a little modest for a guy that likes pink so much, but I do know for a fact that the 75lb+ was found with his depth finder. He told me that he was expecting more fish at one spot, moved and bingo a 35 and that monster. I expect I'll give mine a workout here in a couple of weeks.

16. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Jim, You must be a carpenter cause you hit the nail on the head.

17. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I Got My Lowrance X91 Form My Dad Who Upgraded To His Raymarine. That Unit Is Awsome. You Can Find Schools Of Baitfish On It. He Uses His Boat Primarily On Lake Michigan. I Fish The Mississippi River And Mark Twain Lake. I Just Use My Unit As A Depth Finder, To Locate Sturcture. It Lies To Me About When There Are Fish Or No Fish. Ex. Last Night I Was Walleye Fishing Below A Dam On The Mississippi River And My Graph Showed Me No Fish On The Bottom. However We Had A Really Good Bite Going And All Are Fish Come Off The Bottom.

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    JimF you are exactly right.

There is an old guy that hangs out at the dock in the summer, and that old coot will talk your head off as long as you will stand still!! My daughter said to me one day, "dang, he will talk forever if you let him".

I said let him, and listen to every word.

Those old school guys were able to catch fish and set records without any of the more high tech stuff we have today, so there is something to learn from the old school way. A modern fisherman should to use the old ways and combine them with todays technology to achieve a higher level faster, and into todays busy world that can make your time on the water a lot more fun.

When I first started fishing for big cats I went out with a guide and he never turned his depthfinder on. He said, "I only really use it on new water to check depths."

As for the depthfiner purchase, if you are looking to save money then think about the Eagle line of depthfinders. They are made by Lowrance, and they cost about 25% less. They are exactly the same. Bass Pro Shops is having a sale right now and you can get a color model (no GPS) for around $150.

19. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    I use mine to find shad for bait. Then I look for large fish under the shad and target that spot. It works best for me in the winter when the cats, and the shad are deep (30'-40'). In the summer it is a lot more difficult for me to locate cats in shallow water(10'-15').

20. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I first read this post and gave it a yeah, yeah, whatever and then realized that I to am in that group who can't read or understand a fish finder. I have two Eagle Mark 320's and they are fantastic for reading depth of water. That's what I have mastered so far but in my defense I've only owned them for a couple years. I have gone to the web site and ran the menu buttons and I swear most of them do nothing. People look at their finders and say look at that fish lying on the bottom, I look at mine and wonder what all that is down there. Anyone know of a video out there where they talk about this and demonstrate? I want to buy a better unit but the way I'm looking at it 24' of water is still going to be 24' of water even with a better unit. I guess I just wanted to vent some of my frustrations on the subject and give support to the others out there that can't read a fish finder. Hi, my name is Bill, I'm fish finder intolerant.