catfish trouble

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by litltman, Apr 29, 2008.

1. litltman

litltman New Member

State:
    ------
    hi all. after waiting for the weather to warm up so I could get into the creek for some good fishing. I finally went to the creek today, however, I did not even put the boat in the water. I noticed a sign that I just had to go and read, oh well. killed my whole day. and more for that matter. the sign said, brem and sun fish. one meal per week. bass, one meal per week. CATFISH----- DON'T EAT ANY. THEY HAVE TO MUCH MERCURY IN THEM. what a bummer. how long is this going to last. I have saved some shad and herring for catfish bait. this is the reason I sold my boat and motor 12 years ago, because of mercury. what causes mercury, where does it come from. how do we get rid of it. this sign is at lynches river bridge on highway 52 at Effingham s.c. does your fishing landing have the same sign. does anyone know if little pee dee has this mercury thing going on to where we cant eat the fish. thanks. have a blessed day

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    There isn`t a waterway in pennsylvania that isn`t full of mercury and PCB`s.The fish cosumption advisories have been out for years, as far as cleaning up the mess I don`t believe we can.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    We as a race did it and now we gotta pay the band.:angry:

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    It take as little as .25 milligrams to contaminate a 20 acre lake.The PC you are using to view this post has about .50 milligrams of mercury in the various parts.

Now imagine the amount of computer hardware entering our landfills not to mention other things like calculators.All that mercury leeches out into the groundwater.

BTW dont forget big industry and mining.

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    THE REASON THEY STILL USE IT , IS ALL ABOUT $$$$$$$$$ AND THEY DO NOT WANT TO HAVE ANYTHING WITH CLEAN UP JUST LET THEPEOPLE DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sorry to hear about the sign you seen I think if you cleaned them and cook them proparly it shouldnt hurt you but I wouldnt eat alot of them if they have a bunch of Mercury in them.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Mercury is not "caused" it's a mineral. You are not going to get rid of it either. If anything it's going to get worse.

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
  9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. either take the chance or forget about eating them. not ever going away till long after humans are gone and it is maybe filtered out by time. but not in any of our lifetimes.

10. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    we did it period we should take responsibility for it rick

11. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    We as a society caused this situation That being said, The merc. didn`t get there overnight so it`s impossible to tell how long the problems been there. I`d watch consuming large amounts over a prolonged period, but if it ain`t hurt you yet, why worry alot?

12. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    this is not something you hear about very often in oklahoma. i'm sure that don't mean we ain't got it here. im not really worried about myself but, my 2 year old grandson loves to eat fish. i think i will try and do some more research on this. thx

13. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    Most states have the limitations listed in the DNR rules. Sometimes you`ll find that the restictions also exist on larger fish and even types of catfish. I`m guessing larger flat heads may have a slower metabolism and do more bottom feeding than a 3 pound channel. Definately worth diving into to get the facts.

14. FordGuy2001

FordGuy2001 New Member

State:
    Texarkana,Texas
    The way I look at it is, If the water we drink and the air we breath is gonna kill us one day, then why not have a good meal before we go out the door feet first.

15. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i was raised in oklahoma from the time i was 7 until i was seventeen . we lived on ft.gibson lake on the cat creek arm of the lake(near flatrock) when i was a kid we used 10/0 stainless steel hooks exclusively on our trot lines. when i was 27 i went home for vacation. the first thing i did was put a trot line in the water. 10/0 ss hooks tied snell or if your an okie snag tied. anyhow i had part of my line to close to the bottom and the hooks were in the mud. after 2 weeks i took the line out . the next year i went to put the line out again and every hook on my line that was in the mud broke easily under the snell wrap. our water is poluted and the bottoms of our lakes are toxic. what gets me is people keep dumping in side hollows and creek beds.

16. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    The difference between the top of the food chain and the rest of the chain is we don't consum the entire link, we gut, skin, bleed, and what ever else and then we cook it.

Can the dooms day guys tell me were the toxins are in the food we eat? I'm sure alot of the mercury is in the organs, and don't believe its all in the meat, and i'm in the opinoin that if it didn't kill the fish its not going to kill me.

I'm also a do it yourselfer, if you say my food supply is contaminated with mercury, then tell me how to test for it myself or just shut up.