Catfish Traps

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by fishh, Aug 20, 2006.

1. fishh

fishh New Member

State:
    martin
    Hello Has Anyone Ever Heard Of Flathead Catfish Traps?????? I Have A Few Farm Ponds On My Property That I Have Stocked Throughout The Years With Flathead Ranging From 10 To 60 Pounds!!!! I Sold My Property And Bought A New House With A Lake On It And I Would Like To Catch All Of The Fish I Have Stocked... With These Traps And Put All The Fish In My New Lake,,,,,i Don,t Have Enough Time To Catch Them With Rod And Real And I Don,t Want To Drain The Ponds........so If Anyone Has Ever Heard Of These Traps {please Let Me Know Asap> I Know I Can Count On My Brothers You Guys Know Everything Thier Is To Know About Flathead Lol

2. There are such things as catfish traps, they are whats called slat traps and also the netted catfish traps...I have a catalog for some but will have to get back to you if they have a website to order from

3. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    Depending on the size of your ponds, a long deep seine would probably be the quickest way, if feasible. If your ponds are more than a couple of acres or more than a few ft deep it probably wouldn't work. just a thought

4. fishh

fishh New Member

State:
    martin
    Traps Is What I Need They Are To Deep To Seine........i Hope One Of My Brothers Can Tell Me Where To Get Them Thanks In Advance Lol

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Why not contact your dept of wildlife, explain the situation to them, and see if they will shock your pond. Could be done as a fisheries management project or for a fee. That would be your best bet.

6. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow New Member

State:
    Alabama
    fishh,
    I don't think you will find anything specific for flats, but cats in general. The traps we built long years back had bait in them but were not really bait traps. I would call them slat traps. They were made of wood/rectangular boxes if you will. The intent was not to trap them with bait but rather have them use it as a sanctuary. We know flats like to find rocks/barrels/something to hold up in. Thus the trap is to have them use it as a house so to speak.
    Like the other replies, there are probably quicker and more efficient ways to catch them instead of waiting on building traps and catching the flats. Good luck.
    Broken Arrow.

7. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    :
    If you have places in the ponds that the catfish hide in reach in there & pull the cats out.I do that in my creek all the time

8. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I know this sounds bad, but how about a trotline. You could check it often, and when you catch one, transport it to the lake right then. Just a thought..

9. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Trotline is a great idea for a pond. Use big live bait.

10. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Some okies on here ought to be able to tell you how to rig a trotline to snag em as a last resort & if your fish & game will allow it....

11. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
  12. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    This might be a good idea and it might not. Make cage maybe 10 x 10 or bigger if you want with a wire floor make 2 slide openings big enough for the big ones to get into and dump 100 lb,s of dog food in the middle wait a day or so close openings .. Might catch em might not just a thought. but put it not to far from the bank. never know. good luck

13. Keeyaawww...tought I was gonna take forever on dis one, got da website for you wit dem traps...its http:// www.fishnetco.com. try dis , dey got da slat ( wood) traps and da net ones, be sure to check with da local game warden first on how many and if you can use dem. we can use 3 without a license....hope dis heps....

14. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Set a bunch of jugs out, and trotlines then look up sam's bluegill trap in the library. I use that to catch my small cats!

15. kingkat

kingkat New Member

State:
    nc
    Why not contacted your local wildlife deptment an see if the could bring out there boat with the electric shocker. It will not hurt the fish but will bring them to the top were they can be netted

16. fishh

fishh New Member

State:
    martin
    Thanks Guys If Anyone Has Any More Info Or Advice Let Me Know Lol

17. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I agree with AwShucks, contact your local DNR and see what they will do for you as long as the fish was caught legally and kept in a pond they might help in moving them, I don't think you'll be able to trap or net them that easy, it will take a lot of time to do that. Shocking would be the easiest and fastest way to go IMO for what its worth.