Catfish Tournaments do you or don't you?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by eflow, Mar 19, 2008.

1. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    I was wondering how many IL. catfishermen fish in catfish Tournaments and how many don't? If you want to, explain why you do or don't. Thanks!!!

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Have not fished any cat tourney's mainly just because there are not any around the area I know of other than on the Mississippi River, and well I personally don't have enough time on that Big water to mess with it, and have never seen one for a Lake around that I recall, I'm sure there is some where, never really looked for them. And would need a bigger boat myself to run and fish the Mississippi.

3. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Where are u talking about in IL.? What Lakes? would u if there was one on a lake around your area? do u think others would?

4. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I used to live in Illinois now i live right across the river about a half mile from Illinois. Whenever there is catfish tournaments in my area i fish them. So does alot of other people in this area. I fish tournaments on Pool 19 but id like to try a few on pool 18 or 20.

5. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I probably will after I learn where to find the blues a little bit better on the Mississippi.

6. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would love to fish Tournaments but I just don`t feel I can with my little old 14 foot jon boat. I have a lot of fun in it and catch a lot of fish but I would feel embarassed around the big guys with their big boats.
    :big_smile:

7. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I kind of feel the same way fishing in a little boat, but I think it would also be great to beat them from a little boat. I am going to try a few this year and see what happens.

8. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    i fish tournaments

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Carlyle is about the only big lake we fish, the rest are the smaller state lakes. I have never heard of a cat tourney on Carlyle but that doesn't mean they do have one. I have never really looked for any on Carlyle. As far as the Mississippi I am not worried about my boat being to small to compare with the big boats, I just think it is more of a safety issue being in a small boat on that river.

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Never fished in a tournament. I am still too much of a noob. LOL

11. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    Like a lot of other fishermen my 14ft V bottom with that 91/2hp Johnson Seahorse with no livewells or electronics just seemed to be over matched. Rods, line and tackle I could compete okay. I would give it a try if I felt like it wouldn't break the bank to pull it off. Not ready for the big time but willing to dabble at it a little.

12. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Theres alot of small 14 foot boats that fish tournaments here on the Mississippi river and dont have any problems. Now if theres 20-30 mph wind gusts its a different story. My boat is 16' and i dont have any problems.

Someone was saying they arent going to fish tournaments until they find blues. The tournaments we fish here are channel cats only. Its just guys having fun on the water. Usually 15-20 boats. Lots of fun and good food afterwards.

13. divulsionbob

divulsionbob New Member

State:
    illinois
    well for me money is limited,and so i do my fishing from the banks. yes iam the guy that sits out with his cooler and 3 poles. watching you all go flying by. man i wish i had a boat. next year iam getting a boat. but for now its shore fishing for me. thats why i dont .

14. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    the big cat quest tournament is on rend lake in june

15. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've never fished one, not likely to. The gas to fish regularly is expensive enough and I don't believe my fishing will ever win a prize.:sad2:

16. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I don't have a boat either. Can a person enter one of these tournaments and fish from the bank? If it is a Channel cat tournament, bank fishing may be competitive. I know a couple of holes that have kept me busy.

17. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    :big_smile:and where might that be don? i welcome pmails.:big_smile:

18. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Too much money. Plain and simple. If it were 10 are 20 dollars I might go but I would much rather spend 80 are 100 dollars on my boat than blow it on a fishing turnament thats going to be won by one of these pro turney guys.

19. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il

The tournaments here are 20 dollars per team. 5 extra dollars if you want to enter for the big fish. I think the biggest fish of the year was 12 pounds. Only channel catfish are allowed. Not every tournament is a PRO tournament. Dont be so negative!!!

20. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I live right by st louis and they are expensive. If they were 20 dollars , as you say they are in iowa, then I would go as I stated in my previous post.