Catfish Tournament Mortality

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Cattoo, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i was just wondering if anyone has any info on mortality rates of cats caught and weighed in at tournaments. i read a report several years ago about the mortality rates of bass in summer tournaments and it was pretty bad. it said as many as 75 percent of these fish died after being released. although these fish swam off and looked fine, they still wound up dying later on. i'm sure flatheads have a pretty high survival rate, but what about blues. i know from my own experience that blues die pretty easy in the summer even in a well aerated livewell. it can't be good for them to be beat and banged around all day in a live well and taken in and out of the water several times and finally be released. if anyone has any knowledge on this subject it would be greatly appreciated.

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Seems like I may have read the same article or one similar, but it wasnt just talking about tournament fish. it was cats in general. talked about them dying days after they are released. its called post release mortality. wish I could remember where I saw it at though.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I'm sure it all depends on how they're handled. If dealt with properly, there's no reason they should die.

The problem is that most folks other than the *very* serious tournament catfishermen don't have the equipment to handle big catfish properly.

Whether the big ones end up dead after release is anybody's guess - short of putting a radio collar on them, you'll never know...