Catfish Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by RIP, Apr 20, 2006.

1. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Here are pic's of my tomato bed. I use catfish guts and heads in the soil when not planted. Best fertilizer you can use, we plant around here on good friday every year and they stop producing in september. The cages are made from 6" x 6" cement wire use zip ties to hold them togather and tent stake's to hold them down, they are two feet around. The bed itself is 8' x 30'.

Attached Files:

2. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    nice lookin tomato bed. Im sure the catfish parts work great. in the old days indians used to use fish as fertilizer.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    nice looking bed. You should get enough to make lots of salsa plus have plenty for salads and burgers.

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Holy Moly, Rip - you can grow enough t'maters to feed a small village! I love fresh t'maters, and here's a recipe for a favorite t'mater salad that I really like: Jes' slice up some t'maters & fresh mozzarella (the kinds that comes in a little ball), add some diced scallion & cilantro, and mix with some basalmic vinagrette salad dressing. Yum!

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I forgot: I like to make fresh tomato bisque soup too, so I mush up some fresh ones in the blender with some canned milk (you can use regular milk as well but I like the way the canned milk makes it taste) and some cilantro. If you don't have cilantro use a little herbs de province. Be careful when you cook it, cause if you don't stir it (using canned milk) it may burn on the bottom of the pan.

6. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Good post RIP, I do the same thing when I'm growing anything in my garden.
    Fish parts have been used in my family for many generations now.
    Great fertilizer.
    I haven't had a garden to plant anything in a few years now cause my dogs won't stay out of it. My dogs are diggin dogs and they won't stay out of anything.
    Your garden looks great !!, I just love home grown tomatoes.

AL

7. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Great looking garden RIP. I guess I should be going fishing more so I can get some fertilizer. I like the cages too. Great job.

8. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    those look real nice I hope to buy a house this year so I can plant a garden living in a apt just can't do it:)

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The best reason for growing your own tomatoes is so you'll have green ones to fry up for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

10. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Rory, When those tomatoes come in , take a catfish fillet,a slice of tomato and mayo. (fried fillet) on rye bread, and have a good time. bet you cant eat just one.........:) ..............

11. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I have 17 plants we like our maters round here, ripe or green fryed. Thanks ya'll if they are still producing I'll bring a bunch to the national gathering.

12. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I hate weeding, so I grow mine in 1/2 barrels. I also plant 1 cucumber in each barrel. Take a 1/2 inch pvc pipe and poke small holes in it and lay across the barrels, then attach a garden hose to it for watering.
    I have tomatoes big enough to fry now but just can't bring myself to pick any. Love fresh tomatoes. When they going good I eat 4 or 5 a day.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good look'n bed Rusty. We might have had our last frost around here, if we did it was early! I usually use wooden stakes, but this year I am going with metal. I hear it brings more nitrogen to the party. I just bet your wire didn't cost as much as fence post would either. Thanks for the pics.

14. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Good lookin' mater bed ya got there Rip. My wife has so many bird feeders in the back yard I can't grow anything to eat cause those birds and tree rats eat it up before I can pick it.

15. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I don't know about that, cement wire is kind of high. I have fence post but I would rather use big cages. These cages are 5' tall and 2' round and going on the second year.

16. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Wish that i could grow some maters down here in SC, were too close to the ocean, lots of sand, I am sure that they would grow but a pain in the a$$ to maintain.

chris

17. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    You got that right Jerry, I've always said the best tomato is a fried green one, lol. :hungry: :still_dreaming: :tounge_out:

18. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I use the same product for cages, but make mine smaller. Its easier to walk and the main stem is still supported. They also work great for Cantelope, watermellon, squash, gourds, and especially cucumbers. No more digging around to find them.

Good season to you.

19. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Man they look great, I also use raised beds. To early for tomatos in ohio,
    should have stayed in tn.

20. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Well it's been one month to the day that I posted this thread. So here is an update on my catfish maters.