Catfish tip!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Ms. Whiskers, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Ms. Whiskers

Ms. Whiskers New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I haven't tried this myself yet, but a good friend gave me a tip on how to get the cats stirred up. Get a can of dog food, punch holes in the lid, toss it like a frisbee into the water (ponds especially), and wait about 2 hours. The smell will attract not only cats, but other hungry fish as well! They are supposed to start biting like crazy:crazy: I already have a can of beef flavored Mighty Dog ready for my next trip! I'll post my results. Good Luck:big_smile:

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the BOC! Please don't litter our waterways. It is a great idea that can be used with a small modification. Open that can/bag of dog food and put it in a burlap sack and tie a length of rope to it. That way you can take what is left of what you bring. Clean waterways are work, but can be a source of pride.... or they can be an eyesore. :smile2:

Thanks and Welcome,

Shawn
    (Formerly Reynoldsburg, now Coshocton)

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Jennifer! :0a25:

4. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Sounds good to me. Let us know how it works and glad to have you join the BOC.
    Bill

5. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for posting let us know how you do the next time you go out and try this.

And welcome aboard!

6. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC. I have tried that with cat food, punched holes in the can and tied to some fishing line and tossed in near my lines. Didn't seem to make any difference for flatties, might help for channels.

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Welcome to the BOC Jennifer:smile2:

8. whisker hunter

whisker hunter New Member

State:
    Springfield,Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC!:cool2:

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have used this method with great success before. but like was stated befreo you dont want to liter up the waterways. there are a few ways to get around this. the easiest of these is to tie a rope around the can to keep it from floating away. if you are fishing in a pond, just pop open the can and toss the glob of dog food into the water. it works well but doesnt last near as long. also try sardines or fish steaks (in the cans). they work well too. good luck and let us know how it works for you.

10. puck55

puck55 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i've used cat food dog food and other forms of can o meals for pets in my opion oily sardenies and cuts o gravey work the best but remember dont litter it works well in a burlap bag or you could tight line it to something in fast water put the can in a panty hose and tie it to a pop bottle and float it out there with a tight line

11. bigfisher4life

bigfisher4life New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC:big_smile:

12. greatthosu

greatthosu New Member

State:
    AZ.
    Welcome to BOC. From AZ.:big_smile:

13. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Be careful doing that here in Illinois.... I've heard you will get a fine if you get caught doing that...I've been told it is illegal...They called it fishing over Bait...Will cost ya pretty good fine from what I hear and may loose your privilege of fishing...
    If anyone knows this for sure please clue me in...Thanks

Here is what my father used to do many years ago...In Oklahoma...He would get a pair of My mothers old pantyhose and fill them full of dogfood and anise oil,some times he even used chicken liver he would add heavy rocks to the inside and tie a line and a marker jug on so he would have a reference point for his trotlines.....
    Just an Ole' Trick from and Ole' Dog...when he was finished he always pulled line,hose and jug so no other fisherman new where his spot was at...

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jennifer Welcome to the BOC. Gives us an update on how it works. Sounds like a good idea.:0a25::0a25:

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv often thought of mounting a hand crank grinder to the back of the boat to grind up my unused bait for chum , start a freinzy like they do in salt water , this will only work well in spots of no or low current

16. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    :0a27: what a :0a24:

17. puck55

puck55 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    if thats illegal then how can you use panty hose and a liver ?????

18. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    whenever i am cutting up bait i will throw the fins, tails, scales and whatever else i have left over into the water just to get the smell out there. it works pretty well and you dont have to worry about forgetting it in your boat for a week in the middle of july. as far as the dog food goes, you can take some frozen anchovies and leave them out in the sun for a few days and then use those as chum. they fall apart and turn into a liquid mess. i would not get them on my hands though. if you do the nieghborhood cats will be following you around for a month. good luck with this and i hope you catch a nice one.

19. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    BEN,BEN,BEN

Not sure there was a law In OKLAHOMA about it that long ago...However that Ole' Dog didn't think to much for laws,doctors or lawyers anyway...Thanks for the reply...

20. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    You can also take a minnow bucket and put your dogfood in it. That way you can shake the bucket when you need more chum in the water.:0a26: