Catfish Tip of the Day: Keep Mosquitos Away

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by comanchero, Jun 1, 2006.

1. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    This warm weather has turned on the cats but it has also made the mosquitos ferocious. I headed into WalMart to pick up some mosquito repellant and found a new product that looked like it might work perfect in the boat. It is called the OFF PowerPad and is designed to repel mosquitos from a 15' X 15' area. It is a small candle lantern that activates a mosquito repellant pad. I tried it out last night and it worked perfectly in the boat- I was not bothered by a single mosquito. The product is designed for people to use on their patios so I figured my boat is a small patio floating on the water - makes sense - right?

The PowerPad Lamp costs $9.50 and comes with one candle and one repellent pad. I picked up one refill for $5.50 that comes with 3 candles and 3 repellent pads. The candle and repellent pads are supposed to last 4 hours. I ran the lantern last night for 3 hours and it was still going strong when I blew it out.

By the way, last night I got 2 small flatheads and one nice channel cat. Picked up 1 flathead and the channel on cut bait and 1 flathead on a bullhead. St Croix is about perfect right now for cat fishing - water is coming down at 677.2' and water temp was 78 degrees. Amazing how one day the flatheads just show up - I've been chasing them for over a month and none to be found.

Here is a picture of the OFF PowerPad lantern:

Attached Files:

2. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Going to have to check into that!

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Thanks for the tip, going to have to stock up.

4. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    im sick of them misquitos botherin me. i guess im goin to have to check it out. at least a brother of ours is telling the truth unlike them companies with their blabber mouths.:tounge_out:

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    DON'T KNOW HOW THEY WORK BUT HAVE BEEN TOLD THEY IF YOU PUT BOUNCE FABRIC SOFTNERS IN YOUR POCKET THAT IT WILL HELP KEEP TOSE PESKY SKITTERS AWAY. HAVE TO TRY IT SOMETIME TO SEE. MIGHT WORK THEY STINK BAD ENOUGH. HAS ANYONE TRIED THEM? IF SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?:roll_eyes:

6. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What about the themacell. Anyone use it?

7. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I've heard people talk real positively about the Thermacell device for keeping mosquitos away in a 15'x15' area. I was looking at some of this stuff the other day and realized that the Active ingredient is the same for Thermacell as it is for the OFF PowerPad. So, considering the positive comments about thermacell, it would make sense that the PowerPad would go good also.

The PowerPad is definitely cheaper too!

8. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I use a thermacell, adn love it as long as the wind does not blow.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    The powepad seems to be a little cheaper as well, that is always a bonus. Thanks for the heads up.

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'll have to give that a try, allthough the thermocell works very well unless you drop it in the water.

11. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I like the idea of the powerpad and the light from the candle might be an added bonus for those of us that can't see in the dark worth a hoot. Get it? Hoot like an owl.... see in the dark.... never mind... I'll have to get some of those, my bad.

12. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I'm heading to Keystone 4 gathering tomarrow I'll pick one up and take some dryer sheets along aswell.

13. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Keep the skeeters away and 1 candlepower of light. Make good sense.

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I got a Thermacell last year and I won't go catfishing without it anymore. It really works! Not only does it keep them from biting, it keeps them out of the boat. No more buzzing in my ears in the middle of the night!

I think the pad that goes in the lantern is the same as in the thermacell. Sounds like a great idea.

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :confused2: YOU ALL TALK ABOUT THIS THERMACELL JUST WHAT IS IT AND WHERE DO YOU GET THEM. NEVER HEARD OF THEM.

16. bottom_rig

bottom_rig New Member

State:
    baltimore, md
    we used those things last summer with great affect. i totally forgot about em till i read this thread. weve resorted back to skeeter coils for the time bing. more compact and you can place em all down the bank.

17. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Look in the camping section (next to the fishing dept) at Wal-mart. They are around where all the bug sprays are. They used to not carry them there but they started having them in my area last summer.

18. BhamRoadrunner

BhamRoadrunner New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use off sportsman 100% deet, never have a single bite on me.

Where i work in the evenings though, ton's of people use the Termacells to keep the 'skeeters away.

19. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    that sound great I'll have to try it but the mosquitos aren't real bad here YET!

20. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    get a pack of swisher sweet cigars ( any flavor) they help out considerably