Catfish Tip of the Day: Better check your rod tips!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by comanchero, Mar 7, 2006.

1. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    It is that time of year to tune up the equipment to get ready for some spring fishing. I just happened to scan the rod tip of one of my favorite rods and it was deeply grooved along the bottom center of the tip guide. It has to be from the superline. The groove in the rod tip was deep and sharp and definitely could hurt the line. I immediately checked all my other rod tips and they all looked OK. Next time you all get a chance, check out your rod tip guides looking for a groove along the bottom edge. I tried to take a photo of it but it didn't turn out very good but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

2. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the reminder. I'm getting ready to respool all my reels because I've noticed a little fraying on my braided lines. Could be the line guides.

3. Creek_Chub

Creek_Chub New Member

State:
    Loveland, Ohio
    Great tip!!! I mean great idea and bad tip(on your rod that is..) A very easy thing to overlook

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good observation to note. Thanks for the reminder.

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    thanks for the reminder. I had a problem with that last year. 15 to 20 pound fish were snapping 50 pound fireline and i lost my temper quite a few times. It was all because of that last eye

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have lost fish in the past due to a grove in the tip guide..I will not by a rod any more that does not have a insert in the tip guide..A stainless steel tip guide is terrible.

7. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i had that problem before but instead of replacing the tip i took my little grinder and smothed it all back out.got another year out of it.:)

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good advice, Steve. I would hate to loose a fish like you have in your avatar because of a little thing like a grooved tip. 'Course I gotta hook one like that first.;) I don't buy rods unless they have ceramic guides, preferably Fuji; so far I haven't had a problem, but I always check them out every year.

9. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    Poor eyesight so I use Q-Tips to check the guides. If it has any non smooth area, it will pick it up.

10. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    The Q-tip is the best way to check them but also look at all the other guids as well. This is very important for all of those that use the braided lines.

11. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I use a little clear finger nail polish once a year to keep them smooth. If you use the rod a lot you may want to do it a little more often.

12. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You have to watch for those ceramic inserts, as they can come out. I found 2 of my rods this spring with those missing. Then the braided lines seem to hang up on the steel part and fray.

13. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Although I have since gotten rid of the one pole I had with a steel rod tip, it did not give me any trouble with the braid line. It was replaced with a shimano pole of better quality.