Catfish Taste Buds

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catmaster, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I just read this today and thought it was very interesting. Have you ever wondered why some cats just bump up against your bait? The artile said that a catfish is like a big swimming toungue. At an early age they develope tons of taste buds. Not just in their mouth though, but all over their body. It said that a cat only 6" long can have over a quarter of a million taste buds. And the flank of an adult cat can have over 5,000 taste buds per sq. centimeter. The outer taste buds serve more as food detectors. I just thought that was a pretty neat bit of information.

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Cats are seriously cool fish! Taste buds all over the place, super-sensitive lateral line, and to top it all off, one of the best brains swimmin'! Ya gotta love 'em!!!:wub:

3. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Man, if I could only taste with my side, maybe I could lose some weight!

4. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Maybe that explains why my wife's hips are so big? LOL:grin-big: :grin-big: :grin-big:

Frank

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    oh man you better have the mods retract that statment before the wife reads it! lol brave man in deed

take a magnifying glass fishing next time.

6. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Another piece of trivia for ya...a Flathead...or any catfish for that matter...also can detect minute amounts of electricity running through their quarry's nervous system. That homes them in on the fish that they haven't yet "tasted" by bumping into it.

And...if that's not enough...they can also detect water displacement down to an amazingly small amount.

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Frank...Frank...Frank...are you suicidal or what???

You better hide this thread from the ol' lady...or she'll slap that smile right off your face...LOL. :conc-big:

8. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    That bumping usually ends with your line being "slimed." I don't know if they slime to better absorb the taste or it's an after effect of the bump. I've watched fish bump (taste) a trot line and move down it to a drop and move on to the bait keeping contact with the line, then bump the bait and swim off. Others will take the bait. What I find strange in this is one fish will "slime" the line and another won't. It's possible we handled the line after we baited and thats the reason they keep this contact, "tasting as they go." I would guess the catfish has a mental picture of what they taste, hear and feel. Very efficient. The best part is you learned something about the fish we pursue, which will make you a better fisherman. Good Luck in the new season.

9. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois

Wow, just wow!!. You must not value your life man, dang. Never tell your woman she has big anything!! Not even big blue eyes, got it? I feel for you if she ever sees that.