Catfish Tagging ???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Salty1, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Does anyone know what to tag the big fish in my pond with ???? I have put 15 to 20 Lb. cats in my pond this year and would like to keep track of their growth if possible. I need to use a product that will not detiorate in the water. Thanks in advance !!!!

2. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    My cousin showed me something maybe from a BASSMASTER magazine to tag bass. Take a hole puncher and punch out a hole in the tail of the fish. That is all they say, so to remember which fish you marked you could:

You could do 1 hole in fish "A"s tail and 2 in fish "B"s tail.

Either that or draw a picture of the tailfin and mark each selected catfish on a different spot of the tail, recording it on paper as well.:smile2:

3. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Just did a quick google and fishtagger.com came up. Seems like a cool deal. 10 tags with the applicator and a way to keep track of them for 20 bucks. I would'nt mind doing something like this.

Joe

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    here is the link for the tags i will be useing this year

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Before anyone gets the bright idea to start tagging the fish they catch from public waters, please check your state regulations first.

Many states prohibit "marking" fish in any way - that includes tags, clipping fins, etc.

Do what you want in a private pond, but think twice before doing it in public waters.

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Thanks Marty, I'll have to check the regs as far as freshwater goes. FL highly supports/urges tag & release on the Billfish here:roll_eyes:

7. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Since your going to keep the cats in your private pond. Use a zip tie on the bottom lip.
    1. Use a knife to cut a slit in the skin behind the jaw.
    2. Insert the zip tieand when closing make sure to leave plenty of room in it for the jaw to grow.
    You can either use a sharpie to write a number on the tag, or if your only doing a few fish. You can get different color zip ties.
    Just make sure you keep track of all the vitals. Length, girth weight and overall health.

Will

8. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    The only problem I see with that is the plastic degrading or getting crap on it and infecting the fish somehow, you know what I'm sayin? I'd just do "pattern punching" on a fin or something.

9. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Thanks for all the info brothers !!!! :big_smile_2:

10. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    In Texas, it is legal to tag fish for ID purposes, it is illegal to tag them for tracking purposes.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    What's the difference?

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    PM Tomahawk. He has done some tagging and has a good source for affordable tags.

13. FishTagger

FishTagger New Member

State:
    FL
    Hello :) I am the owner of FishTagger.com. It is legal and illegal in different areas based on local, state guidelines to tag fish.

Some of the catfish i see are HUGE. Not sure if the tags i have would work well on them. Let me know if they are good :) I only carry one size.

People have had mixed response to the site. Some people LOVE seeing their catches again and what they really like is to see a record of OTHER anglers catching their tagged fish. The site notifies every angler that has caught the tagged fish that another angler caught the fish again :)

Good luck with the Catfishing!!!! Tom contact@fishtagger.com

14. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I know Tomahawk has tagged a bunch of catfish over the last few years and I've been with him when he's done it a few times. He keeps track of 'em, etc. He uses the tags from fishtagger and they work good for cats. I think he's taged some in the 40's. Shoot him a PM!