catfish supplies for a rookie

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Lil Chuck, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Lil Chuck

Lil Chuck New Member

State:
    in
    i was looking online at fishing poles. whats better i seen shakespere baitcasters cheap at walmart and a one called a hog seeker that lights up and every thingim not made of money but need at least one good catfish pole can some one recomend something

2. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Were you looking for both a rod and reel ?

Also whats your price range for each?

3. ColtsFan317

ColtsFan317 New Member

State:
    Indpls,IN
    if your in indianapolis theres a place called west side tackle that has some good poles at a good price, i got a black beauty there last year they told me it was a generic ugly stick and it worked great. Didnt hurt the wallet to much neither.

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Fatboy dan on youtube has a video on west side bait and tackle..He is accually member on here too..It looks like an awesome bait shop...It has new and used gear...Look up river 3782 on youtube!!

5. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    The hawg seeker is a spin caster not a bait caster...But anyway a good cheap catfish bait caster if you not catching bigguns..around 10lbs..Is a Shakesphere skp 20 of something like that..Or a Ming yang reel..For the skp as jeffrodamis and for the ming yang ask Ramon06 about them these 2 guys are the experts on these reels..lmao...as for rods a ugly stick is about the cheapest good rod..Or one of those sakkesphere tiger rods or maybe evenm a Cabelas wuppinstick

6. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    check out the pawn shops in your area,but before you buy anything make sure it's up to par.. I buy alot of fishing gear from pawn shops, but I only buy reels with line on them so I can test the drag,also test the rod make sure it's sturdy.the problem with pawn shops is they don't give warranties , so check it out real good before you buy it.

7. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    lil chuck what i started with was the shakespear tiger combo from wal mart for 20 bucks i got the open face and learned really quick to change the line i put 20 to 30 lb on mine and have used them for years . i still have one combo and using one of the other reels on a different rod now . but for the white or wabash their real good poles for the price. i,ve never had one fail me yet other than the poles seem to loosen around the handles after about 2 years. by that time i upgraded my poles to a big game one from wal mart another 20 bucks . and if you want to check out bargersville flea market there is a couple of guys that sell new poles down there for very resonable prices. and like the one gentleman said pawn shops are good for some but i know the one here in martinsville is very over priced on his gear. i hope this helps and go to the yard sales when they have the us40 yard sale always gear there to buy. and any community yard sales around lakes, heritage lake always has some good one,s and lake edgewood . i hope this helps you and good luck and god bless

8. carp46755

carp46755 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You might check out Catfish Connection they have a good supply of catfish gear.

9. Lil Chuck

Lil Chuck New Member

State:
    in
    i just called a guy i meet that used to be a member here and he said somrthing about west side bait shop too. he said he can get me a deal on big catfish rods and teach me to use a baitcaster. so i guess we are going to the white river saturday just to learn how to use them

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Get a Shakespeare Sturdy Stik. Great rods for 20 bucks. I like them almost as much as a Ugly Stik Tiger but about a third the cost. Match it up with whatever spinning reel you can find for cheap. I wouldn't go the cheap route on baitcasters. They are what you pay for them and cheap ones dont cast very well, especially for bank fisherman. A cheap one will turn you off on them (my first one was a cheap one and it turned me off on them for several years until I tried an Abu Pro Rocket).

So Sturdy Stik: 20 Bucks
    Shakespeare reel from WalMart: 20 bucks.

You will be good to go!

11. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    chuck if you look on the sale board i have 2 penn reels on there for sale and a rod and reel combo that,s brand new if it interest you??

12. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I've heard a story about someone who got locked up by the CO while testing his gear while usning an unbaited hook & no license. Using an unbaited hook in water & no license in some states is still fishing.
    BE CAREFULL! :time-out:

13. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    Good advice David! Reps sent. Fortunately for Chuck, he looks like he is under the age of 18, at which case, no need for a license in indiana

14. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I thought that the age limit was 16!

15. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    LOL now you got me thinking! seems like indiana DNR website is down right now.. actually, it seems all indiana.gov sites are down...il check that out later on, so we know for sure!