Catfish superhero?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by pendog66, Jan 15, 2006.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    I just got a call from my dad's buddy Will who i have not heard from in years(my dad has told me stories about how alittle out there he was). Huge catfisherman, and he told me that he and a group of friends in the spring and summer will follow ******* trucks and find out where they take the fish from. They will fish that ******* for a week straight secretly putting the catfish in 100 and 150 gallon live wells in their trucks then releasing the fish back in their home waters, usually the ohio. Does anyone else find this crazy and also great. To think while people are trying to take fish out of the rivers for ******* and people are putting them right back in.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    That is cool! I like him already!!!

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'm going to asume that the astricks are key words to what you are saying. to funny!!

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That is awesome! When I grow up I want to be a catfish super hero...LOL:p

5. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Stick it to the man!

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    lets just say the asterisks are for the lakes that you have to pay to fish

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nate,

Does this mean you are turning over a new leaf in your catfishing ?

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i kinda done the same thing years ago when i fished those $$$$$$$$ but i'd release them in a local lake. nowdays those lakes have a "10lbs and over" rule that says nothing leaves over 10lbs. the last time i fished one of those lakes for flats we were confronted by the owners because we had 3 fish over 20lbs on a stringer and were planning on releasing them elsewhere. to make a long story short after nearly having a physical confrontation, we almost called the sherriff on them for trying to "steal" our fish. my freind is pretty well versed on the law and notified them that our "ticket" was a binding contract and nowhere did it state that rule! we were allowed to fish the remaining 2 hours but were told we could never return. BOO HOO!

9. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    do you take the fish from these pay lakes to eat, like the English do trout?

must admit, im not a fan of moving river fish to lakes, although the gene pool originally would be strong, when all the river fish have moved you then stock 2nd or 3rd generation cats from the lakes back into the rivers and they do not grow as big or strong due to being born to a lake.

I like the idea of specimen lakes where catch and release is implimented and the lake stocking is controlled for the fish to maximise their groth potentials thus providing record fish and personal bests for those anglers lucky enough to put them on the bank.

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know the whole Pay Lake topic is a sensative one, but I can tell you one thing with almost 100% certainty, most people don't eat the fish from these Pay Lakes. I have heard from some guys in C.A.G. that your Pay Lakes (in England) and our Pay Lakes (American) are worlds apart. (Your being ran 100% different; clean, organize, etc.....)

11. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Your lakes will soon follow im sure. They are a business now with competition, with the right management in place the angling market is the best participation sport sector world wide to be in.

12. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Catbusster, you are right that in time, all waters here in the states worth anything will be handled by a pay ticket/day pass like in Europe.

Now, becuase it is not the standard way of fishing here, folks really do not like to have to "Pay" to fish, they see it as a right that they are allowed to fish any river, lake or public watershed. They feel like they paid for a fishing license and that was a fishing "Tax". What folks do not realize is that license fee covers only waters managed byt eh state ( Govt) and that when you want better fishing, sometimes it takes paying extra to reward a private entity who has taken over the management of the fishing. These places can be a great option for those who have the money and can afford to fish in a private setting. Often you pay for the right to be the exclusive person for the day on a property.

Now , our "pay to fish lakes" typically are managed as a money making business' that will take a tiny pond, and load it up with as many big fish as possible and charge for 12 hrs at a time and the more folks I sell to the more I make. This makes them very crowded, the fish are not in a natural setting, the quality of the fish is usually very rough from multiple transports to these ponds and because of the mindset, these places are usually never clean, loaded with trash, have many small fish, smell from dead fish and tend to attract the wrong types of fishermen. Many fights, drunks and drug uses is common at these places which is why many U.S. based folks who are serious catfishermen, tend to look down on these places. Im not opening up any can of worms here, these are the facts.

You are right, when this becomes more common to pay for fishing privelidges here in the states, More will open clean, respectable business' that will cater to a cleanm, family or even serious angler but as it stands now, that is not how our pay to fish system works here. Only time will fix this problem

Cheers,
    Salmonid

13. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    can the BOC AQUIRE A VENUE IN THE FORM OF A STRETCH OF PRIVATE RIVER BANK OR A COMPLEX OF LAKES, im sure you guys could turn it into some sort of catfish heaven

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That would be great, but I think there are a couple major roadblocks

#1.) Paul already runs the site at a personal loss ($ wise)

#2.) The BOC membership is too widely spread out. I doubt we could get one centralized location

#3.) The cost for insurance would be outrageous.

But that would be a dream thing ti have.