catfish stucture - do you create catfish habitat?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by phatkat, Jan 18, 2006.

1. phatkat

phatkat New Member

State:
    central indiana
    does anybody go out to the lakes when the levels are down in the winters and make or enhance stucture for cats or any ideas.

2. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hmm often wonder that to phat. I dont fish lakes for cats. But I do add strucure in my pond for panfish.

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    In my dads stock tanks he has old tractor tires that have been sunk and they really like them they have a hole in the mud in the middle of one thats got to be 3 feet deep. ive also heard of people sinkin drums for cats. ive been makeing some big rock piles at my honey hole since the lake is so way down right now

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Making your own structure is a very good idea, I know guys who do it and have had great success in drawing flatheads to there fishing areas.

5. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Never done it personally but I imagine that you can add structure fairly easilt, just make sure it is anchored down. I know that at he area I fish for cats at here in CA, there are quite a few old 50 gallon steel drums that made it into the water those are excellent spots for panfish, channels, and crawdads.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    For those of you who do make your own structure, what do you use that is easy to install and not harmful to the environment? I have some places in a nearby river that I would like to put something, but I'm not sure what to use.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tommy I saw an article somewhere where they used old culvert.It seems its easier to create structure for flatheads which like to get into things like drums, culvert,large pipes etc.:)

8. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Culverts, tires, drums, old milk cans, etc...all those things can be used for catfish habitat - particularly spawning habitat. However, make sure you check out w/ the DNR to make sure what you're putting in is legal. I know in our natural lakes up north here, the DNR will let you put structure in but it requires a permit and must be approved (typically by the district fisheries biologist). Things like tires, something made of treated lumber (or railroad ties), & metal barrels are discouraged. Something else to consider, if you doing this in a river you better make it really heavy or anchor it really good 'cuz its probably not going to stay where you put it!

9. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    A co-worker uses old water heaters for cats. I'm not exactly sure how he prepares it. I've never seen the inside of one.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Somewhere on the board, I posted some info about using old pallets for structure. Probably find it by doing a search for 'pallets'.

11. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I dont know how everyone else feels about puting drums, crappie set, car tired chained together into the water. But I dont like the idea all your doing is dumping thrash into the lake IMO. I perfer natural habitats.

12. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Hey Fishgeek, who do I have to call to make sure what I am putting in my lake behind my house is legal? Do you have the phone number? What kind of structure is prohibited? What kind of treated lumber should I not put in my lake? Do you have the fishery biologists number? I need help here so I'm not breaking the law. Can I put trees into the water? I put a tire in my lake behind my house about a month ago, is that illegal and if so should I go diving and pull it out? Thanks for the help.

Ryan

13. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ryan,

Below is a link to a map of the state and the names & contact info for the DNR's district fisheries biologists. From reading posts, I think you're in the Indy area, right? The biologist for that are would be Rhett Wisener. He can better answer specific questions since I don't deal with permits at all...Thank God!

The DNR doesn't like treated lumber because they tend to put some nasty chemicals in that stuff which can leach into the water. As someone else mentioned previously, the permitting process is also to keep people from dumping junk/trash in IN's waters in the name of fish habitat. Obviously a good rule. If the lake is a private pond I'm pretty sure you can do what you want...this may also hold true for a pond in a subdivision. Again, ask your district fish head the more specific questions related to this.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/fish/fishing/fishbiol.htm

14. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    Hey guys,
    Do you know what type of structures are legal to put in waters in Indiana? I live in a neighborhood with a newly built lake, and the bottom is completely flat. I plan on stocking the lake with flatheads, channels, and blues. There is already a huge population of blue gill, a few large mouth, and rainbow trout thanks to my neighbors. I am concerned with the moral of the cats, if there are know structures in which they can hide, I worried they may die.

15. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Thanks for that info Fishgeek! Oh man, I thought for a minute that I could be going to jail. I'll give Rhett a call immediately. Do they do house calls? Will they come out to my house? How does that work?

16. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX

With out even looking at the reg i can promise you anything natural, aka stumps, xmas trees, rocks, etc. Basiccly anything that comes from nature. Things you will have to look into will be anything metal aka drums, colvert, milkcans, tires, or anythign else man-made or man-altered (treated lumber)

17. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Eric,

As I mentioned above, I think in that situation you can do what you want b/c the state has no jurisdiction (sp?) over it. OK, I just checked. I was correct, for a private owned pond/lake, and a subdivision lake is considered private, you can do whatever you want. Might not be a bad idea to get OK from the homeowners association if there is one. I would think they would be receptive to your efforts.

18. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ryan,

No, they're not allowed to make house calls but he'll give you advice & answer your questions over the phone.

19. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Thanks for the info buddy! I'll make sure to get the okay from the neighbors. I always thought it would be a good idea to make structure for the cats! I can't wait to fish them! Take it easy guys!:)

20. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I don't get around well enough to put out structure while the local state lake level is down, so i drove around the lake today taking pics of the existing structure that mother nature and crappie fishermen had put out. That way I'll remeber where its at in the spring when the water level is back up.;)