The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I’m fairly new here and would like some information and/or tips for putting catfish structure in some ponds. I live in Minnesota near maple Grove and have driven by and fished a few gravel pits in the area. I’ve seen a few small catfish in them, but would like to encourage them to spawn a little bit (as I haven’t seen one over 10 pounds). The ponds are about 3-4 acres in size, barely fished, and crystal clear. Any tips or information on what I could possibly put in there to help would be excellent!!!

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Hi Daniel and welcome to the USA forum. There are most likely some good site to get educated information concerning your question but My thoughts would be to add some sections of pipe or large tubing of some type. Catfish like to find holes to hatch and raise their young in. During the spawn, the hatchlings emerge and congregate in a somewhat tight ball. because of that, predators can cause a lot of damage. When the ball is attacked, they scatter but instantly come back together awaiting the next onslaught. Because of that catfish would be help in their spawning process by providing sections of pipe, maybe sealed at one end for the males to secure his young in until they were big enough to fend for themselves a little.

More research needs to be done on your part to find the best material and maybe size to use. Also to verify that this is a good project to help protect the catfish hatch.

tight lines

Reactions: SHOWME
1 - 2 of 2 Posts