Catfish Story

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by McCatfish11, Jul 7, 2007.

1. McCatfish11

McCatfish11 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    So I have a nice size pond that over the years I have put catfish in. Its really cool cause they come up and eat fish food and what not. Well awile back I noticed the biggest one, who I call Apollo, was starting to get a growth on his bottom jaw. But it wasn't affecting his eating at all. I figured maybe one of the grand kids had broke a line on him and his jaw was just swelling up. But today I seen him come up and eat and the growth appeared to be about the size of a golf ball and was stopping him from closing his mouth. So I decided to hook him and see what it was. When I got him into shore it turned out to be a tumor sort of thing. It was rock hard and just connected to his bottom jaw. After a lot of debating I decided to try and cut it off. I figured he was gonna die sooner or later if I didn't so I went for it. It seemed to go pretty well. It was almost like the growth was just stuck there. He wasn't bleeding much so I think he's gonna be ok. Anyway I put a picture of him on, he's 33 inches, Im not sure the weight, didn't have a scale.:confused2:. Any guesses on how much he might weigh?

Attached Files:

2. chicken man

chicken man New Member

State:
    mo
    Was he able to close his mouth afer you cut it off? Hopefully he'll survive. Wish I could see the pic. but I have a few more post to make.:wink:

3. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I caught one last year at Lk Ovid that had multiple tumors on its mouth area. It seemed very healthy but a little skinny. I would say your cat looks a little skinny as well, maybe 7-8# range. The one I caught was 37" and weighed 12# which according to the northern growth charts was about 4-6# underweight, but who knows. He put up a good tussle, I do have to admit that I was a little grossed out and wore gloves to handle him.:embarassed: Anyway I attached a pic so you can see if the growth is similar or not.

Attached Files:

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I would like to hear if he's still around next spring.

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Andy: Nice fish. Was the growth inside or outside his mouth? Under his chin or on the upper lip? Did you get a before and after shot? Was the lump surface or did it go down into the meat?

6. MapleRiverCatHooker

MapleRiverCatHooker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I would like to speak for Andy since he is in Canada for 5 days PIKE fishing.... I wasn't there but he said the lump was on the surface of the inside of its mouth...around the size of a golfball..

7. McCatfish11

McCatfish11 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Sorry guys, was in canada for the week. Yah whisker, it looked similar to that. Only not as nasty. It was just one big growth. So far he's doing good. he was back up eating yesterday, which is a lot sooner than I had expected. I'll keep you guys updated. (no before and after pic) Oops