Catfish stones...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by GoFish_Tony, Oct 2, 2006.

1. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    In another thread there was mention of a fishes "stones" or ear stones being collected from Drum. I'd never heard of such a thing and decided to do some research. From what I found online; ALL fish have these stones (otolith) and these stones can be used to determin a fishes species and age. How cool is that!

Here is a very good website that gives a great amount of detail as well as some "do-it-yourself" collecting and ageing tips. I think most of what you will find of interest is in the STUDENT section, but for you smarter folks you might want to check out the SCIENTISTS section.

I think this is a pretty interesting topic, but I think I am a bit too much of a wimp to go digging for them myself.

Has anybody ever pulled one of these from a Catfish? If so, could you please try and post a picture here.
    _

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for sharing Tony. It is very interesting and I am going to check it out further.

Yep, I would dig in for one... :big_smile:

Barb

3. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    That is very interesting stuff

4. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    That site was interesting, thanks for sharing?

That will be a good project for my daughter, she like doing stuff like that?

Ken

5. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Hey, that would be GREAT! I'll be looking forward to seeing what you dig up!

I just pulled in a 9 1/2# Flathead Sunday morning. I would have loved to have known to look for this stone when I cleaned her. (LOL, actually I had a neighbor clean this fish. I am still learning how to clean fish and didn't want to make a lot of waste from this beauty.) Maybe next time.

_

6. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Nice catch Tony!

Heck, that head has only been ripening just over 24 hours now so why not go retrieve it and give it a try? Just breathe through your mouth and not your nose when attempting this! LMAO

Barb

7. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is very iteresting. Thanks for sharing!

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have taken them from drum but had no idea cats had them . had a pair i removed from a drum that were as big as quarters

9. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    That is very interesting, we never stop learning. Thank you.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Learning something new everyday, thanks

11. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    This sounds really cool! If Cleve ever catches a fish, maybe I'll try it! LOL
    Lisa

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sweet! Now I'll collect them and make a rain stick out of all of them.