Catfish Stomach Meat??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TX Fisherman, Aug 10, 2008.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i was cleaning a 15lb flat head the other day got some great fillets of the sides, and some good nuggets, but i went to cut open stomach out of curiosity to see what the flatty was eatin, and i noticed some pretty thick looking meat while cutting through to get to the guts, i was wondering, is this meat edible? and if so will it make me sick!?!?!?

2. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Its very edible and very tasty!

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Amen, eats very well; also makes pretty darn good cut bait.

4. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Theres also a big chunk of meat up by the eyes on each side of the head.
    Dont waste a thing!

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    There's a clip on youtube where a guy cleans a nice sized cat. He explains how to get the stomach meat. I also hear that the cheeks are good to eat also. I recently ate walleye cheeks for the first time...they were VERY good!

6. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thats alot of peoples favorite part of the fish.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Flathead belly meat is yummy. Make sure you get all the skin and silver skin off it. I usually cut it into strips.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Belly meat is great on a flat head. And even on a blue. Shoot I have heard a lot of people talk how they would not eat the belly meat off a blue. And there they were eating it because I had just cooked it and seen them pick it up. And then talk about how good it was.
    5 or 6 years ago at Pickwick there was a lot of it eaten LOL
    Pete

9. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    That is the beauty or flats, 2 extra fillets. I had a friend that also wanted all the flathead, heads, he baked them whole and ate the meat from the head, not the eyes and stuff, but he did not fish and wanted them. If I am meat fishing, I like the 5 lb range flats, but take what I can catch.

Jim

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very edible. I always keep the stomach/belly cut on my catfish

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I reckon the belly slab on a flathead is my favorite part to eat. On the larger ones there's some 'jowl' meat in the head that's good to eat too. I don't like to waste any of that good meat.

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats why I never killed a flathead. I thought it was a wast of a good fish just eating that small tail.All head and do meat was my mantra, till, I found out about belly meat! Yahoo! thats some good stuff. If you haven't been harvesting this part when filleting a flat all I can say is shame on you.:sad2::eek:oooh::wink::smile2:

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Besides all the reasons posted,I think we owe it to any fish we harvest to reduce to food all possible meat ,that includes the belly meat,I love it ,my wife wont touch it. Just more for me:wink:

14. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I agree on the belly meat. As someone else said get rid of the silver/grey looking stuff and it`s excellant.

15. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    If you see catfish nuggets in the store thats belly meat. Its still has the inner silver skin on it, thats why I would never buy it , not that I ever need to,lol.
    I cut the belly meat off and remove the fins and fillet the outer skin off and then turn it over and start in the middle and fillet off the inner skin, this gives you 2 chunks of meat.

16. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    What exactly is that Silver/Gray looking stuff and why does it taste the way it does? Anyone know?

17. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I love the belly meat! It is probably one of my favorite parts to eat! There is also a "core" of meat going from the back of the skull forward that is a couple of oz of meat that a lot of people forget about!!!

Happy harvesting!

18. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    That silver is the inner skin, the black and gray spots on it is dirt. if you don't fillet it off, at least scub that dirt off. lol

19. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea, I have three small stiff bristled brushes under the kitchen sink labeled with a sharpie; pans, veggies, fish.

20. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The belly meat on flatheads is my favorite. For those who haven't tried it the texture isn't flakey like the side fillets but very similar to chicken breast. No it don't taste like chicken :smile2: but can be marinated and grilled the same way.:wink: