Catfish stole my fishing pole

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by truckin4x4, Jul 30, 2006.

1. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    :sad2: hey guys i'm a little down right now. i think that last night i had the chance to catch my biggiest fish by fare. i went down to a friends house in athens county and they have 5 very well feed and stocked ponds. and i was going to get a towel from my truck (about 5-6 feet from my poles) and turned just in time to see my pole shoot in to the water. was a very good pole and just bought the real about to weeks ago. i was so depressed. but other than that my buddies and i had a great weekend. i got a chance to get my truck in some mud. i have a 1999 dodge ram 2500 V-10. i think that was my high light of the weekend. well has any one else had this happen.

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've only ever had a pole go inot the water and i jumped in jsut in time to grab it. It was a big carp that took it. If I got one of my combos taken down I would not be a happy camper.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Seems to be a lot of that going around this year.
    I have one at the bottom of the lake myself.

4. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    yeah it was one of my combos. had not had it very long

5. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Just when you thought it was safe to walk away

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Bro in law and I were fishing about 3 weeks ago sitting in my boat at Crown Lake and things were kinda slow. He had just poured a cup of coffee and we were sitting there shooting the bull and he decided to sit in the drivers seat. He hadn't no more than sat down when his pole looked like a arrow shot from a bow. Didn't even slow down as it disappeared from sight. Trouble was this was the first night he had fished with it. New rod, new reel. Learned one lesson he did. Loosen the drag if you haven't got hold of it.

7. Greg32

Greg32 New Member

State:
    Northeast Kansas
    OUCH! at least your truck didn't roll into the pond. That would add insult to injury. I've never had a fish pull any of my rods into the water, but I have recovered several rod/reel combos. Right now I'm having 3 Penn reels rebuilt that we happened to find that were under water before the lake level dropped 6 feet.

8. swampthang_matt

swampthang_matt New Member

State:
    georgia
    brother i was bass fishing one day and my dad hit one of the pole in the water thank god it had a plug on it it stayed on to of the water:cool2:

9. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    ROD HOLDERS 1.99 AT WALLMART..has had it happen to me y i never bank fish without them....

10. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    better a fish than a thief bro

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Light drag or open bail, I have had it happen to many times but usually i get them back by dragging a big trebble hook and weight. Most of the time i snag the line instead of the pole. i hope it works for you,

12. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I feel ya buddy ,I think we have all been in the same boat .
    Brian

13. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Good word dreamer. Did you ever replace your gear that got stolen?

14. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    It always sucks to lose equipment. Hopefully you'll never forget: Rod-holder, loose drag or open bail. :roll_eyes:

15. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    what size pole did you lose

16. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Doesn't that just stink. When fishing from the bank, I use rod holders too so if I should forget to open the bail, they shouldn't go in.

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Lost one back in 73 during flood bank fishing before I started using pole holders.knock on wood have never lost one out of boat. ( Probably shouldn't of said that. )
    One time My brother and I was out in his boat ,fish wasn't bitting ,we kick back got comfortable and I told him you know one of these days were gonna get comfortable and someone is gonna lose a pole.Guess what 10 mins later he did ,shot staight out of boat and didn't hit the water till 8-10 ft from boat. about 30ft of water.. Had to laugh but really wasn't funny,he'd just bought it a week ago. Sure would like to know what took it.:lol:

18. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I once had a close call while bank fishing when I was young. I learned how to make rod holders, and I use good ones on the boat now. You never know. Good, but expensive lesson, good luck in the future. Jack.

19. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Dont feel bad I think most of us have lost a rig or two. I know I have.

20. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Sorry to hear that brother. I would be sad to, i'd hate to loose one of my rods