Catfish stink bait on a Float

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Wallbass, Jul 17, 2008.

How do you fish your Stink Bait

1. On Bottom(carolina rig)

2. On a Bobber

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Im New to using stink baits so heres the Q.
    How many of you use a Float (Bobber) or fish on Bottom?..................Jeff :big_smile:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I don't use it often, but always on bottom for me

3. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    always had the best luck fishing it on the bottom

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I fish the stink-bait using a looper rig or tubie worm, rigged carolina style. I tried drift fishing in a boat with stink-bait and caught a couple of cats this way to. Never had tried the bobber method yet.

Mark..

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I generally use it on the bottom; however when I'm in an area with lots of snags, I'll use it on a slip bobber rig & with a good amount of success:wink:

6. FishinPhil

FishinPhil New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I used to only fish it on the bottom, until a few weeks ago when I was at a local farm pond. Got a couple fish off the bottom, but it was sloooow. Decided to fish it under a bobber, all of a sudden it was fast and furious.

I guess you'd probably best trying both ways and let the fish tell you what they prefer.

7. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    For me it really depends on the time of day in the evenings it's definately a float right, but during the heat of the day I want to finding the deep feeding cats.

8. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Try one way, if it doesn't produce - try the other. They both work well in different situations. Floating stinkbait does work really well!

9. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I guess where im talking about using a Float is in a Pond or Lake if this helps. are most of you voting fishin Rivers and Streams?? :0a26:
    Thanks Jeff :0a36:

10. joeceeeee

joeceeeee New Member

State:
    ohio
    not trying to sound real stupid, what is this stink bait method and how do you rig it.........plz explain.......... thanks in advance. If anyone has any good idea please pm me i would like to learn how to fish this way.:confused2:

11. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Fished Sonnys bait tonight for the first time, and I have to say I'm impressed.

I was fishing a river, caught 3 nice eating size cats, one 2 lb's, one 3lbs and one - 4 lbs. I was using a homemade sponge on a #2 baitholder hook. Basicly took a 1" cube of sponge, stuck a pick through the center, then pushed the ring of the hook up the same track. I then trimmed the cube to a kind of pear shape with scissors.

Cindy and Sheila my 2 fishing partners also caught 3 cats on nightcrawlers in the same time. Both were sitting right beside me. (spitting distance) They caught several smaller cats, we kept the 3 biggest. Their biggest was about 2.5 lbs But the cats were biting pretty good tonight.

If I was fishing a pond or real slack water I might try a bobber. Or if you can fish 2 rods rig one each way. See which gets more action.

12. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I have fished it both ways, but on the bottom has always worked better.

13. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I always fish it on the bottom.

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Guys,

I like fishing dip/stink baits on the bottom as well, and the works well for me "But" For the last couple of years (in the winter months only), I have been using a rig that is not new to no-one here, I just never tried it with dip/stink bait - and that's a:
    "Floating Carolina Rig Set-up"
    :wink:
    What I do is rig it just like I always do (sliding sinker/swivel/bait) but only now I place a small bobber/float between swivel & bait (about 6" to 8" above the hook) to get it just off of the bottom, so the fish can see it because the scent of the bait don't carry as well as the water get colder, and that works out great for me - and I'm sure it will for you to.
    :0a26:
    :wink:

Take it easy fellows,
    Bert:cool2: (Shania:0010:)

15. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Joe, if you go to the BOC library, you will find tons of info on the dip bait methods. Basically, I fish it on the bottom with a Carolina Rig, with about a two foot leader. If you Google dip baits, you will find a number of manufacturers of this kind of bait. Sonny's, Hog Wild Premo, Secret 7, are among the most widely used. There is a variation called punch bait, which is basically dip bait, with cattails fibers in it. It works well also. I use dip bait when I want eaters...fish under 4 lbs., although I've caught larger fish on occasion using it. Hope this helps......and remember, there may be stupid answers, but a question you don't know the answer to is never, ever stupid. You can't learn if you don't ask.

16. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have fished it both ways when bobber fishing it i use a light up bobber (red)
    and have caught alot of channels this way . fishing on bottom carolina rig seems to catch more and bigger catfish of a variety like flats channels and a few blues . only ever caught channels on bobber

17. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    it depends on the time of year for me,
    prespawn
    i catch a lot of fish on top and again in the fall like
    february
    ,but for the rest of the year its on the bottom

18. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I always fished it on bottom until last year. I was fishing 2 rods on bottom and I decided I would put one under a slip float. I caught all my cats using the slip float. Now when I'm fishing I alway have one on a slip float but I'm hard headed I still fish one or two on bottom.

19. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I fish it both ways, and have great success with both. I also will fish it suspended under the boat in deep water in the heat of summer. I have caught many channels and small blues using all 3 methods. I didn't vote because I fish both about 45% of the tme each.

20. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I like to fish it on the bottom, but after reading some of these post I'll to try the bobber and slip float. :smile2: