Catfish Spines

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JamisonM, Aug 30, 2006.

1. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've got two questions about catfish spines; the first is how to avoid getting stuck with them (what seems to be the best way to pick up small fish to take out the hook) and the other is it really true that flatheads don't have spines?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    For small ones simply slide your hand up the belly keepin the 2 side spines in between your fingers. Don't be affraid to put some grip on em cause they will thrash a bit. Make sure that the spines are projected out as you do this. They generally will be. The attached pic shows a bit of what I'm sayin. The spine on the side ya can't see is on top of the groove between my thumb and forefinger while the other is between 2 fingers. Good control and like I said don't be affraid to hold em good and tite.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The best way to never get finned is to never fish. :lol:

If you do choose to fish then cut the line as soon as the cat comes to the top of the water!!! :lol:

The bottom line is that you will get finned if you fish for cats enough.

4. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i like to pick all my fish up by the belly and just slide my fingers around there fins. nice picture posted on here buy george i think it was

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would add to make sure you press down on the dorsal fin with your palm while securing the side fins.The small ones will get you much more so than the big ones because we tend to "Throw" them back and the fin slides along your finger.Just relax and drop them don't throw.Flats dont have the spines as far as I know.Good luck and be sure and read all the "Cures" in the library for when you DO get finned.HAHAHAHAHA:smile2: :big_smile: :lol: :eek:oooh:

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have always heard of a kevlar glove to keep from cutting yourself while filleting the fish,I wonder if it would also protect against the fins?:0a21: pk powell

7. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think I get what you're saying George. Basically, keep the fishes spine between your middle and index finger while letting the other spine rest on your thumb. At all times keep a bit of pressure on the fish, just don't put the death grip on him. As for the kevlar idea; I thought about that, but I think they sew those with needle and thread. They can stop some bullets, but something that can be used to thrust like a knife or needle I don't think so, I may be wrong though. Thanks all for the help.

8. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Also one other note. Ive noticed with smaller fish they seem to have serrated edges on the spines. So if they flop alittle when you release them, they can cut you. For this reason with smaller fish ill usually use my free hand to lip them, then release my other hand form around there fins.

------------\
    -/-/-/-/-/-/-/ <- serrations.

Ive only noticed this on small fish, 8-12 inches, mainly channel and bullheads. I dont think the larger fish have them. maybe they wear down with age.

9. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    A girl I know says she keeps a welding glove in her tackle box

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I hold them by the head, but come at them from their front, so that when I extend my arm, the tail (and spines) are pointing away from me. Works like a charm.

11. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    get a pair of long needle nose pliers. grab the hook with the pliers down on the hook as far as you can. Turn the hook upside down and give it a quick snatch or jerk. The fish will come off and you never had to put your hand on the fish. Works good if your fishin in a boat with a livewell just give the hook a snatch over the livewell and the fish will fall in the livewell. If the fish is too small to keep do it back out over the water and you will release him. This method can also be done with an ice pick with the end of the ice pick turned back into a tight hook used to grab and snatch the fish hook.

12. catfishrodeo

catfishrodeo New Member

State:
    texas

im with George and Rob, get em by the belly side and for slightly larger fish you can lip lock em like a bass. unless you use treble hooks :crazy: