Catfish Species and their Distribution 101

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catcaller, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Here's some pretty heavy stuff from the Florida Museum of Natural history. concerning the BROAD range of catfish species...as well as their distribution throughout the US.

There's some good info in these studies...if you can manage to pluck it out.

Myself...I need to get some SLEEP...and try to digest it all again tomorrow when I'm not so hollow minded...lol.

Although I did notice on the distribution (Phylogeny) chart...that my local Neosho river was mentioned on it. (Gotta like that!!)

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/catfish/ictaluridae/about.htm

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/catfish/ictaluridae/Phylogeny.htm

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cool. I noticed however, that Lake of the Ozarks, and Truman Lake or outside of the Bluecat's range. Possibly outside their native boundaries, but these lakes are chock full of bluecats. Osage River feeds those lakes though, and bluecats are native to that river, so it would stand to reason that the lakes, and the rest of the Osage should be included in their range. But what do I know?:smile2:

3. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    From the way it seems...not completely sure yet...this study is outlining the origins of the species inside their original habitats.

I say this because there's ALOT of lakes that ARE NOT mentioned that I know damn good and well have great numbers of bluecats in them...but they are not naturally occuring there...nor are they mentioned on that chart.

4. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting that link.

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  6. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Good info, there a couple of species of cats there I never knew existed. I did notice that the brown bullhead is not shown to exist in my area? I use bullheads as one of my primary live baits and seem to catch usually 3 browns to every single black. And I've never turned up a yellow bullhead? Maybe I'm mistaking the blacks for browns? I suppose this would be something that is real hard to track.

J

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Thanks Griz for the helpful link.

Perhaps distribution is not the proper word...but perhaps rather the origins of various strains and characterisitcs of the catfish today as we know them?

Aww...Geeez...here it is in my own words....All I know is that I love to catch them...so therefore...I seek them out!! :smile2:

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    It's also amazing to me just how MANY different species there are in the catfish family world wide....besides the few species that we actually fish for here in the US.