catfish spawning

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by kaous, May 8, 2009.

1. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    I am just wondering when do the catfish normally spawn here in TN. I just started really getting into the catfishing fun and i dont know when they spawn around here. Yesterday i was out catfishing at the cumberland steam plant and i had just caught a good 4lb blue cat. And when i did this old gentleman came by and said "She's getting a large belly. Must be about time for them to start spawning soon." So i am just wondering if it is around the time they start spawning or not. Thanks :wink:

2. Wilbur T.

Wilbur T. New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When the water temperature gets from the high 70-degree to the low 80-degree range for all three species. That's usually around late May through early July in Kentucky Lake.

3. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    hmm... I've been catching them right up against the shoreline already. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean they're spawning, but I would imagine they've already started in that pattern. At one lake I was at recently they were splashing around up in the flooded reeds in about 6" - 1' of water. I could see them clearly. I assumed they were looking for spawning places.

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am camped on lake barkley now and have seen several hundred pounds of channels caught this week in the bays close to shore.

Danny

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I caught some spawning channel cats last weekend...The males were almost black their heads were all swollen and there lips were all swollen..Caught them right up along the shore in like 2ft of water..They usually start spawning right about the same time as the crappie..

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    more than likely, we are spawning here in louisiana

7. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    I've heard that cats are difficult to catch during spawning time. Is that true for you guys? I started catfishing last summer, so I wouldn't know.

8. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    To my knowledge, they don't stop eating and they become more aggresive making them easier to catch.

9. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would like to see what others, with more experience than me, have to say also. From my experience (what little I have) the small cats can still be caught in numbers fairly easily. The big fish , to me, get hard to catch when they're spawning. I do think that there are still fish to be caught because they all don't spawn at once. I say that because last year I would catch a beaten and bruised blue and a few minetes later catch one that looked great. I have allready caught a couple this year that were pretty banged up. I hope this high water will be good for the catfish spawn.

10. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    You may have hit the nail on the head. Spawn vs. post spawn. Yes, this would make a great topic to open.

Seems to me those fish up on shore are all over anything you toss out there. I don't know about those post-spawn fish in deeper water.

11. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    thanks for all the great posts for far guys. Really appreciate all the info.:smile2:

12. fredpike

fredpike New Member

State:
    Fishersville Virginia
    hey

13. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When the males turn black like you said and it looks like the crack of you ass is beginning on his head is a sure sign. The meat will look yellow and will taste bad. just as well throw him back. once spawning is over you will not see this fish again till next year. There is a name for them while they look like that but I better not repeat it.
    I don't think the (white) channel goes through this change while spawning