Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
i would never say its pointless to fish this time of year..I mostly go after the big blues and yes over the past 3 weeks it has slowed down ALOT the biggest in 3 weeks is a 33#.I believe the bigger blues are on the bed right now (northwest Al) but im not saying they cant be caught. Ive been catching more smaller channels than blues latley. The bigger blues will pick back up in a couple of weeks after the spawn and be ready to feed. Im not too faimiliar with channels/flatheads spawing time time but im sure someone can give you more imformation than me.. hope this helps and good luck

·
Registered
953 Posts
Dave, I gut hooked a bullhead at thom-a-lex three weeks ago and having to do surgery, she had eggs. I'm assuming that they're spawing, if not really soon. Should slow for a few weeks but, they all don't spawn at the same time so some should be feeding. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, of course I'll keep at it, spawn or no spawn. I have good time going out either way. Hopefully this cold front will move out of the area by tom. or Friday and the current slows a little. Got a new spot I want to give a try.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The past two weeks have been slow on the cape fear, however there are fish to be caught. I got 11 this past saturday/sunday with the biggest being a 19lb blue. The blues are definately on the bed right now and will be on the bed until the first week in June (this has been the case the past four years). Personally I don't do a lot of fishing during the spawn but it's not a waste to go, you can always hook into the big ol flattie. Cut shad has been working and eels for the blues. The flatties will hit live shad, brim, and goldfish. Good luck let us know how you do!

·
Banned
216 Posts
flatheads are spawing right now and they bitting really good!!! i used to fish cape fear river and i caught fish from january when was snow on shore and when was hot as hell outside. so when tey spawn i think they will bite but they will be weak . so keep on trying is not pointless to be on the water fishing for big cats.u guyz lucky we dont habe blues in az . i miss blue fishing

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
As far as I know, and have seen is that they will keep on spawning all the way through 85*. Sometimes finding a part of the lake where the temps are cooler you can find fish still in prespawn ( lower end of lake+deep water ). Then after that, I will go back to the areas where they are done spawning= very hungry fish.

Reason is, is because I don't believe they all spawn together. Not meaning flats,blues and channels , but meaning all the blues, all the flats.

The farther up creeks I go, the more spawning fish I see, and the majority of them I'm seeing are small channels. Temps are 78-80. Even these fish aren't beat up yet so that tells me they arent spawning/guarding nests yet,,,,,their dark, getting skinny, but no marks yet.

This is just my opinion from what I've seen out there, and past years. I say go look for some flatheads, they aren't in full spawn yet ( fins arent red from fanning the nests ). Channel cats should be shallow and hungry, they seem to eat the most. The blues are hit and miss,,, the bigger ones lately have been harder to get a hook into.

Keep at it and pay a lot of attention. Write down you observations in detail....especially water temps. This will be extremely valuable for your next years season.

PS...I'm a firm believer that if temps linger at a certain temp, they will spawn more than once. Last year this spawning lasted for months on end,,,way longer then years before.

Ok...back to SC I go ; )

-Jim-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.