catfish spawning questions.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by crazyKat, Jun 20, 2009.

1. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i live in ky and fish the ohio river. every article i read says that the flat heads spawn before blues and channels. well where im fishing nothing is hitting. but the fish that i seldom catch and others are catching are flats. they dnt have a scratch on them then the blues and channels my buddy caught the other day looked like they was in a cage fight. i went out 8 hrs and put 1 drum in boat. he went out a few hrs and caught the beat up blue. it looks like the flats are not spawning but the other fish are? unless the flats are done? anyone know on this? water temp is close to 80

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    really depends on when the spawn started, flatheads spawn between 66-74 degs. so if that was a few weeks ago i guess some of them could be done, blues and channels spawn later when water is closer to 80 degs. this should help ya out http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/RA_0606_06/#cont

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Thanks again Lenny.Like I said before,this oughta be mandatory reading!:wink:

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm not a blue and channel cat goer afterer- but heres the way I had it figured... channels, then blues, THEN flatties. flatties sometimes overlapping a tad bit with the tailend of the blues spawn. huh.:confused2:
    one thing I know here. flatties have been or are getting on the nest here now for the last 2 weeks or something and blues are just starting or already off of it.