Catfish Spawn?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Les101, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Les101

Les101 Guest

O.K I know the ancient myths and all the campfire talk. But from truely die Hard catfishermen, when do Flatheads ans Channels spawn in the Pa. rivers?

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

IMO.I think they,re just looking for good nesting spots right now.I figure the actual spawn to go on in July.I just fish tighter to where I think they,ll be spawning anyhow.Exactly when depends on the year.I,m sure they,re not all spawning at the same time all over PA.Too varied conditions.Just going by past experience,I aint no scientist.You ask 10 guys,you,re gonna get 10 different opinions.:wink:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ohio is right next door to PA..I usually consider our major spawn for flatheads to run from appx mid june till mid july..I catch very few flatheads during this time frame, and start catching then again in late july,they usually have spawning scars.

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    when the water temp is in the low 70's for over a week seems to trigger it, the water temp around my area was 70-71 and a couple of the cats had spawn scars already from clearin out their nest, but think it still early yet, i hope it holds off another couple weeks, and patcat is right not all catty's will hit the nest at once and it really depends on the area, they will still eat but ya gotta get the bait right on the nest, so moving your bait around ups your odds

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I agree with Flathunter!

6. rijkmus

rijkmus New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks Lenny things are real slow on the Mon right now.