catfish spawn

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by poopdeck [patrick], May 29, 2009.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Anyone know when they are spawning? Has it started yet? Will all three Blues, flats, channels, spawn at the same time?

2. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    thats a good question, I was wondering if the weather has pushed them back a little, I know the bite has been slow, I didnt know what caused it. just speculation. seems like this weather usually comes earlier, so I was wondering if it pushed things back a little. although the water temp is still risen.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    It's simple.......if you are getting skunked they are spawning. If you are catching fish they are not spawning.:smile2:

Or....water too high...water too low.....wrong phase of the moon........barometric pressure rising....barometric pressure falling......water temp too hot....water temp too cold....wrong bait, biting on everything besides what you have.....fish must have migrated north....fish must have migrated south.....too deep....too shallow......etc.....

Take your pick!:wink:

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    The way I understand it they go by water temps. Channels for example start at about 72 degree water temp. Not every fish spawns at the same time though so it is still possible to catch some fish. Hard as hell some times but possible.

5. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    The channels are starting to head to the rocks on the miss in my area. (farther north)

6. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I still think we got a little while before they spawn, but It is kinda of a guessing game for me. I am getting ready to target flatheads and I think they spawn later than channels.

7. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Yes, flats do spawn after channels. But don't give up on the channels if you want to get a nice mess of eaters. Just bounce a leech or nightcrawler along the rock banks that have good current running across them in the river. You only have to be a couple of feet off of the bank and fish deep enough to just clear your bait over the rocks. The channels bite very well during the spawn and the action can be fast and furious. And the best part is that it can be done with or without a boat. Hope this helps!

8. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Patrick - Here, in SC, channel cats have already finished and the blue's are finished. Flatheads haven't started yet.

We had a little bit of a messed up year, as far as spawn time goes. But it's usually channels first, then when channels come off, then the blue's start. Pretty much back to back. Then, after a little bit, the flatheads will spawn.

Or, it could be a southern thing. Them yankee catfish could do it backwards. :smile2:

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have been cleaning alot channels and aint seein lotta eggs I dunno:confused2:

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Heres how to think of the Catfish Spawn.

Most of us have/had/do deer hunt. Think of the Catfish Spawn as The Rut.

Its merely a general time phase. 'usally' starts about the end of may, and is "usually" done by the end of June, first couple weeks of July. Just like the rut and rutting bucks, all catfish do not spawn at the exact same time. Its merely a trickle in effect, a couple week period where alot of fish are spawning (not all), and a trickle out effect. There are no sirens or bells that tell them to start or stop spittin eggs. Fishing is 'generally' slow during this time period, 'but' fish are caught here and there. Every body of water is different, and each species is different in there habits.

So, just know that its a time phase, and it happens on or about this time every year. If you need to come up with an excuse for getting skunked, please see Skipeyes post. :smile2:

11. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    Yep that's pretty much right, Channels > Blues > Flats... they do all overlap a bit though. In the St. Louis area they aren't quiet spawning yet, though it won't be long now...2 weeks at the most. I'm hoping for another 3-4 weeks of good fishing before it gets tough for about a month.